Sam's Club Blue Jeans

Sketcher's baby! Us old geezers love that memory foam insole.

You can't buy enough material for $13 to make yourself a pair of jeans. I broke out an old sewing machine a couple years ago and started making my own clothing to build machine skills in case I ever get a chance to work on an antique fabric aircraft restoration or do an interior. If fit matters more than cost, then sewing your own makes sense. But it ain't gonna save you any dough.

A yard and a half of good quality denim is probably around $35.

There are some Rockport shoes that are basically dressed up sneakers. Dressy enough for when I’m up front but really good back in the plant on concrete floors.

To you guys harping about foreign-manufactured Levi’s, I want to know what you’re doing that you need cardboard-thickness in your denim, lol. I usually have 2 pairs of Levi 527’s that last for 2-3 years of weekend use from Oct-April. I think they run $30-35/pair at Kohl’s. You guys must be wearing them every day of the year or riding horseback for a living!

Farmer. In jeans at least 300 days a year.

I love these jeans.

View attachment 78419
Only $12.98 / pair.

Life is good.

Rich
I've been buying Rustler brand Jeans at Walmart for many years. Still $11.99 a pair (used to be around $10), they are comfortable and wear well. A big plus for me is that I can get my size (need a 29" inseam)
They come in blue and black. I prefer the black.

Dave

To you guys harping about foreign-manufactured Levi’s, I want to know what you’re doing that you need cardboard-thickness in your denim, lol. I usually have 2 pairs of Levi 527’s that last for 2-3 years of weekend use from Oct-April. I think they run $30-35/pair at Kohl’s. You guys must be wearing them every day of the year or riding horseback for a living!
I'm actually a ranch hand, on horseback most days.

:rolleyes:

There are some Rockport shoes that are basically dressed up sneakers. Dressy enough for when I’m up front but really good back in the plant on concrete floors.
Rockport is my go-to. Had a pair on today, matter of fact.

Those black leather New Balance shoes are practical too, you can wear them with a wide range of attire. They work in a business casual environment. Nike Airs do not.

Nike Monarchs are the competing product.

Friends who work union baggage handling at least at one point pretty much always wore new balance, because at the time, they were essentially the only sneaker shop still producing some shoes in the US. Apparently nobody bothered to check of the versions they were wearing were actually made in the US, just that they were supporting a brand supporting domestic workers.

That said, yes, the black NB shoes are surprisingly versatile, and oddly, seeem to last better than the same model in white. Time for me to go get another pair actually.

I used to wear the Kirkland jeans, but the stores around here seem to have quit stocking them, and they quit supporting 44 waist before I made it to a committed 42 as well. Lately I’ve been ordering wrangler, but they seem really gritty through the first few washes, and fairly coarse denim compared to the Kirkland. I may have to try some of the Texas Jean company product now that I’ve heard of them.

I used to run in New Balance back in the 70’s, but now days I need a control shoe, so it is Brooks Beasts. The Levi 505s are pretty much the same as 501s, but with a zipper instead of button fly. The fit works for me. I am working my way back to a 32 waist. I let myself slip up to 34, but am down to 33 now.

What do you think Levi Strauss pays for it in bulk? Alternatively, what do you think it costs Levi's to make its own denim?

Very little, probably pennies a yard. Don't know if Levi's mills it own or not, but the vast majority of woven textiles come from China, even if the raw goods ( wool, cotton etc.) are produced in other countries. A friend of mine just bought a fair amount of English wool gabardine for suits, but got hit with an unexpected 25% tariff bill because it was woven in China.
You can buy $12 jeans, you can buy $400 jeans. It all depends on fit, or whose name you value on your ass. The yard goods are largely the same.

I've got maybe 15 pair of $10 Rustler jeans from Wal-Mart and last year bought 10-12 pair of like-new 501s for $50 from a lady here at work whose husband passed away.

I was glad to hear the head of Levis say a while back that he almost never washes his jeans. Unless mine get visibly dirty I launder them maybe once or twice a year. I've mentioned this before to a number of people and I'm the odd man out. Everyone else wears once and then into the laundry they go.

I've got maybe 15 pair of $10 Rustler jeans from Wal-Mart and last year bought 10-12 pair of like-new 501s for $50 from a lady here at work whose husband passed away.

I was glad to hear the head of Levis say a while back that he almost never washes his jeans. Unless mine get visibly dirty I launder them maybe once or twice a year. I've mentioned this before to a number of people and I'm the odd man out. Everyone else wears once and then into the laundry they go.
Same here. I see dirt or stains, in they go. Otherwise they truck on.

The yoke on the Rustlers is too narrow for me, and promotes " plumber's crack", so I'm always having to pull them up. TSC used to sell CE Schmidt brand that were good quality, fit well and wore well, but they haven't been on the shelf for a while. I'm a farmer too, so "one and done" is pretty much the norm. I made a couple pair out of canvas thinking they'd be tough as nails, and they are, but are unbearable except in cold weather. Canvas doesn't breathe. Great for sails, for pant's, not so much.

Farmer. In jeans at least 300 days a year.

I'm actually a ranch hand, on horseback most days.

:rolleyes:

In those cases I get it. I almost never wore jeans until high school because my mom had bought a pair or two of Wrangler jeans that were stiff and denim was thick. I couldn't stand to wear them because it was so uncomfortable. Eventually tried a pair (who knows what brand) that were much softer/more flexible and have been fine ever since. I do plenty of "outdoor work" in them on the weekends, but when the temps drop below freezing, I break out the quilt-lined Carhartt coveralls/overalls.

Levi's only, my wife insists, something about the way it looks from the rear, and she's happy. Can't complain. As for shoes, nothing but Merrell for me - not the cheapest but man they fell great even after wearing them all day. Especially their tactical line - have a pair of the Moab 2 shoes that I wore all through Spain a few months ago, walking like mad and never had a problem with tired feet:

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/tacti...actical020918#prefn1=genericSizeType&prefv1=M

Oh, I also wear 5.11 shorts when working from the home office, and 5.11 slacks for client engagements. Makes it a lot easier getting thru a day of airline travel when you can keep what you need on your person in pockets that don't scream tactical/cargo. And they feel great, last forever:

https://www.511tactical.com/mens/mens-pants.html

I've had the competing Nike product before. They don't fit my feet well and aren't particularly comfortable.

I guess feet are different. They make them in different widths, most stores only stock the standard ones.
'Competing product' as in: black pleather sneakers that don't break the bank.

I used to wear the Kirkland jeans, but the stores around here seem to have quit stocking them, and they quit supporting 44 waist before I made it to a committed 42 as well. Lately I’ve been ordering wrangler, but they seem really gritty through the first few washes, and fairly coarse denim compared to the Kirkland. I may have to try some of the Texas Jean company product now that I’ve heard of them.

The "not stocking them" is a problem here, too. They're off the website, too, meaning that they've been discontinued. Replaced by some off-brand or ill-fitting clothes. I used to get their cheap athletic shoes, too, but same deal - discontinued. Some other stuff they used to carry and dropped, too. Had a problem trying to get a car battery there - enough of a problem that I won't shop the tire centers any more (I go to Napa or order via Tire Rack).

It's getting to the point where I'm beginning to think twice about renewing my Costco membership. I suppose it's still worth it, but it's harder and harder to get the products I use.

The "not stocking them" is a problem here, too. They're off the website, too, meaning that they've been discontinued. Replaced by some off-brand or ill-fitting clothes. I used to get their cheap athletic shoes, too, but same deal - discontinued. Some other stuff they used to carry and dropped, too. Had a problem trying to get a car battery there - enough of a problem that I won't shop the tire centers any more (I go to Napa or order via Tire Rack).

It's getting to the point where I'm beginning to think twice about renewing my Costco membership. I suppose it's still worth it, but it's harder and harder to get the products I use.

I keep Costco because once or twice a year they have something on sale at a price so low that it justifies the membership by itself. But in my opinion, they're starting to go downhill. I also don't like the fact that their Web site doesn't list store availability. You have to call the warehouse; and if you happen to get an idiot on the line who looks up the wrong item, you make the trip for nothing. But I did renew this year, mainly because of the occasional deals.

I canceled BJ's because they lied to me about the refundability of a "Perks" upgrade. I eventually got the refund, but I won't deal with them again.

That leaves Sam's Club, which has always been my favorite of the three, and is even more so now. I do most of my shopping there these days.

Rich

I keep Costco because once or twice a year they have something on sale at a price so low that it justifies the membership by itself. But in my opinion, they're starting to go downhill. I also don't like the fact that their Web site doesn't list store availability. You have to call the warehouse; and if you happen to get an idiot on the line who looks up the wrong item, you make the trip for nothing. But I did renew this year, mainly because of the occasional deals.

I canceled BJ's because they lied to me about the refundability of a "Perks" upgrade. I eventually got the refund, but I won't deal with them again.

That leaves Sam's Club, which has always been my favorite of the three, and is even more so now. I do most of my shopping there these days.

Rich
I used to like Costco better than Sam's Club - used to be a higher level of quality. Not sure these days. I dropped Sam's Club because it's 3x the distance (meaning about 10x the amount of time to get there....) compared to Costco from where I live now. I may take another look, but making that drive on I-95.... <shudder>

Costco is closer, I've had good luck with Kirkland brands, and their gas is top tier rated. I tried Sams gas for a while a few years ago, and after a few weeks my truck began to run noticeably worse. After switching back to name brand top tier gas, it returned to normal. Not a fan of Sams gas at all, it seems to be poor quality.

I used to like Costco better than Sam's Club - used to be a higher level of quality. Not sure these days. I dropped Sam's Club because it's 3x the distance (meaning about 10x the amount of time to get there....) compared to Costco from where I live now. I may take another look, but making that drive on I-95.... <shudder>

If you decide you want to try Sam's Club again, I have a referral code:

https://www.samsclub.com/r/24ahmre

New member gets a $20.00 eGift card. I get a $10.00 one. I'm not sure if it will work if you're a prior member.

I rarely miss a money-saving trick.

Rich

Costco is closer, I've had good luck with Kirkland brands, and their gas is top tier rated. I tried Sams gas for a while a few years ago, and after a few weeks my truck began to run noticeably worse. After switching back to name brand top tier gas, it returned to normal. Not a fan of Sams gas at all, it seems to be poor quality.

Sam's Club gas is not TopTier. It is covered by the satisfaction guarantee, however.

https://help.samsclub.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/223/~/gas-pump-errors-&-fuel-information

Whether they expect you to siphon out the tank and return it, I have no idea.

Rich

Sam's Club gas is not TopTier.
Ouch.

So the federal government requires that automotive gasoline contain a “detergent” to reduce the build up of combustion products in the engine. They don’t specify what the detergent has to be, but they specify maximum acceptable deposit accumulation during a test cycle on an engine of about the same technical level as a carbureted aircraft piston engine.

One brand has discovered that a particular refining waste added to fuel meets the government test for detergent action, and is obviously cheaper than what other brands use. The top tier association was formed when several auto manufacturers realized that this one brand, when run in modern automotive engines actually resulted in higher deposit accumulation than no additives at all, and was starting to cause warranty work that they felt was related to the fuel, and not the engines or their designs.

That brand even had an advertising slogan for a while, that if a mechanic proved their fuel was at fault, they would pay for repairs. But what mechanic can prove that 10s of thousands of miles of deposit accumulation that are now causing a repair bill really came from them, and not that one time they filled up at another brand?

Sam’s club is not who top tier was created to exclude, but it really makes me wonder if they are too cheap to pay to test and get in, or if they are using the same useless detergent.

Black New Balance is not a fashion statement, it is practical. I bought my first pair more than 5 years ago, gradually wore them more of the time, as they were way more comfortable than any other shoe I have, including quality leather ones.

Being black, they attract no notice when I wear them with suit and tie at Church, and formal events. The only place that I do not wear them now, is if I expect to dance, the tread is too grippy for that.

Back to jeans, mine are from LL Bean, Lands End, various weights, and two thicknesses of flannel lining. All hold up fine, 5 pair, haven't bought any in more than a decade, wear them often summer and winter. The lined ones are especially good for shoveling snow or hunting. My wife wants me to throw away one pair that has been worn until most of the blue is gone on the wear areas, but I like the extra softness, and they are a little cooler in warm weather. One pair developed tears at the knees after a mere 15 years, not my fashion style, and I threw them out.
I hope you believe me when I say I'm not trying to be a c*ck, but black NB sneakers with a suit? Unless you're traveling and may need to run for a plane or a train, I just, I just can't even...
zn0gfl0f2gxa3ujhkken.png

Ouch.

So the federal government requires that automotive gasoline contain a “detergent” to reduce the build up of combustion products in the engine. They don’t specify what the detergent has to be, but they specify maximum acceptable deposit accumulation during a test cycle on an engine of about the same technical level as a carbureted aircraft piston engine.

One brand has discovered that a particular refining waste added to fuel meets the government test for detergent action, and is obviously cheaper than what other brands use. The top tier association was formed when several auto manufacturers realized that this one brand, when run in modern automotive engines actually resulted in higher deposit accumulation than no additives at all, and was starting to cause warranty work that they felt was related to the fuel, and not the engines or their designs.

That brand even had an advertising slogan for a while, that if a mechanic proved their fuel was at fault, they would pay for repairs. But what mechanic can prove that 10s of thousands of miles of deposit accumulation that are now causing a repair bill really came from them, and not that one time they filled up at another brand?

Sam’s club is not who top tier was created to exclude, but it really makes me wonder if they are too cheap to pay to test and get in, or if they are using the same useless detergent.

I really don't know. I rarely use their gas. The club I usually go to doesn't have a gas station.

Rich

Just to balance the Universe ...

I used to love $9 Walmart jeans. They stopped selling them. Easily get years out of a pair.

....Now I pay the premium and buy 'em from LL Bean, because I'd rather spend too much but get a nice shirt, than spend a reasonable amount and get a shirt I won't wear.
I have the same philosophy. I now almost exclusively wear twill no-iron button down shirts from Land's End. Those shirts are normally around fifty bucks each, but Lands End sends me emails giving anywhere from 30 to 50% off. I buy all of my shirts through those emails. Very good quality, the colors last, and they have good wearability.

I hope you believe me when I say I'm not trying to be a c*ck, but black NB sneakers with a suit? Unless you're traveling and may need to run for a plane or a train, I just, I just can't even...
I had the same thought.

I’d wager those who do this, are likely the same folks who wear a suit they pull straight off the rack.

Back