Always on ADS-B and Skybeacon/Tailbeacon

And if anyone really wants to know they can dig up what you hold personal too, so why not just post it on here?

Point is, just like posting your SS DOB etc here, there is zero reason for me to broadcast my N number, it doesn’t make me, or you any “safer”, thus I’d rather not send it out to any idiot with a ADSB box or smartphone.

There is zero legitimate reason those transponders should be sending that info out, zero

Yeah you’re right.. ATC can just call: “you in the red and white Cessna, descend and maintain three thousand five hundred.” Yeah, that’ll work. And when you’re near an airport and see a triangle headed in your direction you can just forget about the chance of them being on CTAF so you can possibly communicate with them.

Are you sure you are a pilot?

Yeah you’re right.. ATC can just call: “you in the red and white Cessna, descend and maintain three thousand five hundred.” Yeah, that’ll work. And when you’re near an airport and see a triangle headed in your direction you can just forget about the chance of them being on CTAF so you can possibly communicate with them.

I don’t think you understand what ADSB is vs what 2 way communication is and how they are different.

Perhaps explaining why making it easier to be watched by others is hard if one has blind faith in being watched by others prior to ADSB?

Last edited:
Yeah, sending out that data so people can know and avoid is a horrible thing.:rolleyes: Good grief!
I think the point is that the info being sent out is a bit too much info. Aircraft type, and position/altitude is all that needs to be sent. No more, no less. All the other info is a bit much, and not needed, except in the case of administrative action due to an airspace incursion. (class B without clearance, or prohibited airspace) Making their job easier to prove that you were in fact 25 feet into class B without clearance for not less than 30 seconds. Even SAR only really needs your location, not who you are/what you are.

The N-number priority is actually putting up needless information as priority for the public to see. If I choose to use CTAF (And I will, whether I'm in a Mooney or a Cessna 140, or a Cardinal), of course I'm going to use my registration, and I don't care if other pilots know who I am. Same if I choose to use tower services or ATC flight following / IFR. Take the airspace near DFW for instance. I could be with GPM, RBD, or GKY tower, APCH CTRL SE or SW, or DFW in a few spots. Doesn't matter if they know your N-number, they WILL not be able to reach you if you are on someone else's frequency. If they assign your ADS-B HEX / transponder code to the N-number you provide, the government of course will know it's you, but I don't think that's what we are concerned about. The N-number display is actually worse than useless to me. What would be useful is aircraft TYPE clearly showing on the ADSB hex. If I happened to see 7353K for instance on my scope, that wouldn't really do anything for me, but if I saw it was a PA20 I would expect it to be a relatively slow high-wing and would know what to expect. OTOH, some fool with an agenda could do someone mischief by knowing that that aircraft is out of town or tracking their movements.

I understand what you’re saying Ryan, but it would seem that xmitting the tailnumber can save ATC the step of having to enter it into the system manually. As we move forward into the next gen future it could be that we simply go by the transmitted number and drop the octal sqwauk code and eliminate the need for the time ATC takes giving it and us the time to key it in. I have no idea if it’s the case but I have thought all along that the current transponder has both octal Sqwauk as well as N number capability during a long term crossover period. Maybe twenty years from now when everyone is transmitting tailnumber, they go to no need for the octal sqwauk code.

I know it would not be the ordinary case, but seeing the tailnumber when near an uncontrolled airport gives a chance of reaching them since they might be on the CTAF. In fact when boringly flying around well above the pattern altitude, but within glide distance while doing engine break in on the Cessna, I actually contacted a plane by tail number.

BTW, hope all is going well Ryan.

I don’t care if the FAA knows my hex code. If the hex code goes to the FAA database, tells them who I am and it saves ATC a step I guess that’s no different than a license plate, but my unreasonable, unhappy neighbor in the city being able to track every noise complaint movement and then target my personal house or business when I’m gone is a breach of the right of a citizen to be secure in their houses and papers. I want the FAA to give me a new unpublished hex code that only broadcasts my aircraft type, but which a controller can see tied to an internal database. And I want that hex code changed at every aircraft re-registration so if somebody’s figured it out, they have to start over every so often.
You, too, Larry...

The N-number the ADS-B broadcasts is used to link the track on the controllers scope, with the track of your aircraft. Up until ADS-B, that's what the squawk code was for - to link the track with the aircraft. ADS-B gives a secondary way to do that - the N-number.

And I want that hex code changed at every aircraft re-registration

Since the hex code is mapped to the registration number, that is exactly what happens. Change registration, the hex code changes.

Since the hex code is mapped to the registration number, that is exactly what happens. Change registration, the hex code changes.
But that does 0 good if it's still publically available, tied to my address, and I have to spend the money on a new paint job. I should periodically get a new hex with the SAME registration. The government will still be able to track, but I'm secure from other entities and the government isn't feeding the info to people that don't have a reason to know.

For a fee, you should be able to request an updated hex code... with your same old N-number. Doesn’t matter the reason, whether it’s a business deal, a stalker, a crazy ex, or whatever.

The N-number the ADS-B broadcasts is used to link the track on the controllers scope, with the track of your aircraft. Up until ADS-B, that's what the squawk code was for - to link the track with the aircraft. ADS-B gives a secondary way to do that - the N-number.

This is a solution in search of a problem, or rather a excuse in search of a problem. Problem is the problem isn’t a problem, putting in a code is a non event, and if you enter it wrong they just read it back to you which isn’t a big deal. Sorry, no dice as far as that goes for a excuse to transmit my personal info.

I don’t care if the FAA knows my hex code. If the hex code goes to the FAA database, tells them who I am and it saves ATC a step I guess that’s no different than a license plate, but my unreasonable, unhappy neighbor in the city being able to track every noise complaint movement and then target my personal house or business when I’m gone is a breach of the right of a citizen to be secure in their houses and papers. I want the FAA to give me a new unpublished hex code that only broadcasts my aircraft type, but which a controller can see tied to an internal database. And I want that hex code changed at every aircraft re-registration so if somebody’s figured it out, they have to start over every so often.
You, too, Larry...

Yuuuup

Or just use the squawk codes which have been working just fine for ages.

I explained before, but I will reiterate in more simple terms in hopes that you will understand.

When ADS-B transmits my SS number, DOB, etc., then I will post that information here.

Do you now understand what I said?

Your paranoia is quite remarkable, or is it that you engage in activity you want to hide?
Based on your N number, I can find your name and address. From that, there are any number of websites that provide everything for $9.99. But then, Most of my info is already available because the OPM has been hacked at least twice, that it admits to,

Based on your N number, I can find your name and address. From that, there are any number of websites that provide everything for $9.99. But then, Most of my info is already available because the OPM has been hacked at least twice, that it admits to,

No. You can find the name and address of the registered owner of the AIRCRAFT.

I'm not sure the rotating hex code per month will make any difference. Any site that wants to should be able to write an algorithm that sees N123 with Hex Code A land at KXYZ and a day later a new random hex code with the same size and other parameters leaves and flies back to a common airport for N123 to fly to and assume that the new hex code also belongs to N123.
Sure, it may take a couple flights for it to match them up. Then once they get really fancy they'll start monitoring the airplane spotter sites, decoding the photo for the registration number and matching it up to the ADS-B data.

I'm not sure the rotating hex code per month will make any difference. Any site that wants to should be able to write an algorithm that sees N123 with Hex Code A land at KXYZ and a day later a new random hex code with the same size and other parameters leaves and flies back to a common airport for N123 to fly to and assume that the new hex code also belongs to N123.
Sure, it may take a couple flights for it to match them up. Then once they get really fancy they'll start monitoring the airplane spotter sites, decoding the photo for the registration number and matching it up to the ADS-B data.
That’s a lot of effort and will only be worth it to a few.

Back