Challenges in Self-Driving Car Development

"New technology not instantly perfect overnight and needs a bit of development work" - more on this shock story at 11.

Of course, you are cherry-picking your quotes in a massively misleading manner. The AAA quote article also states:
  • "This research shows why effective pedestrian detection should come standard in every new car"
  • "We believe in the potential of pedestrian detection systems enough that we no longer give models credit to their Overall Score for having city speed AEB (systems that work at lower speeds as opposed to highway speeds) unless they also include pedestrian detection"
  • "Subaru’s EyeSight system when equipped with pedestrian detection cut the rate of likely pedestrian-related insurance claims by 35 percent when compared with the same vehicles without the system"
The one pedestrian fatality from a self driving car conveniently doesn't mention the 6,000+ pedestrian fatalities from dumb old human drivers.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to cherry-pick. I just thought that posting the links alone would be too user-unfriendly. Since you find the excerpts objectionable, I have removed them.

Last edited:
"New technology not instantly perfect overnight and needs a bit of development work" - more on this shock story at 11.

Of course, you are cherry-picking your quotes in a massively misleading manner. The AAA quote article also states:
  • "This research shows why effective pedestrian detection should come standard in every new car"
  • "We believe in the potential of pedestrian detection systems enough that we no longer give models credit to their Overall Score for having city speed AEB (systems that work at lower speeds as opposed to highway speeds) unless they also include pedestrian detection"
  • "Subaru’s EyeSight system when equipped with pedestrian detection cut the rate of likely pedestrian-related insurance claims by 35 percent when compared with the same vehicles without the system"
The one pedestrian fatality from a self driving car conveniently doesn't mention the 6,000+ pedestrian fatalities from dumb old human drivers.

What is the ratio of self-driving cars versus human-driven cars?

The only way self-driving cars could work would be if they were all self-driven and centrally-controlled by some Orwellian control center. Picture ATC in busy controlled airspace, but with thousands as many moving vehicles; pedestrians, and wildlife to consider; and with separation measured in inches. And even if you managed to work all that stuff out, you'd still have to worry about hardware failures, telemetry failures, bugs, glitches, and malicious attacks.

Rich

While it is cool to watch my Tesla Model 3, on it's own, back out of a parking stall and make it's way to me in an empty parking lot.... I gotta say that it's very scary to watch your very expensive possession do so in a semi-crowded or active parking lot try to navigate the obstacles.

More than once I've stopped the process because "The Flash" was about to do something that, from where I was standing, would cause damage.

The feature is in the beta stage, and rightly so. It does work, but in no way is it perfected yet.

The Autopilot features do work well. But like an AP in your airplane, isn't something that can go unmonitored. But I do like it for longer drives when traffic is sparse and all that is needed is cruising within the same lane.

"Self driving" is too broad of a category. SAE has established levels of autonomous vehicles for this reason. it's really helpful to understand the levels. The hardware being utilized is important as well, i.e. Cameras, lidar or both? For instance, a car equipped with only cameras operating as a level 2 is not even close to a vehicle equipped with cameras and lidar operating as a level 4. Both are "self driving". Then there are differences in software...

While it is cool to watch my Tesla Model 3, on it's own, back out of a parking stall and make it's way to me in an empty parking lot.... I gotta say that it's very scary to watch your very expensive possession do so in a semi-crowded or active parking lot try to navigate the obstacles.

More than once I've stopped the process because "The Flash" was about to do something that, from where I was standing, would cause damage.

The feature is in the beta stage, and rightly so. It does work, but in no way is it perfected yet.

The Autopilot features do work well. But like an AP in your airplane, isn't something that can go unmonitored. But I do like it for longer drives when traffic is sparse and all that is needed is cruising within the same lane.

My wife's Volvo has "Pilot Assist" and "Parking Assist". I don't really trust either of them. "Pilot Assist" is ok for a few seconds at a time if you're trying to futz with the navigation or open a drink while cruising on the freeway. Parking Assist, I have yet to successfully use at all.

I think we still have a ways to go before "Johny Cab" becomes a reality.

"Self driving" is too broad of a category. SAE has established levels of autonomous vehicles for this reason. it's really helpful to understand the levels. The hardware being utilized is important as well, i.e. Cameras, lidar or both? For instance, a car equipped with only cameras operating as a level 2 is not even close to a vehicle equipped with cameras and lidar operating as a level 4. Both are "self driving". Then there are differences in software...
Can you explain the Levels (2 and 4). Do you mean SIL2 and SIL4. Or are these levels unique to automotive?

I'd be more excited with a car that can drop me off downtown for an appointment and go off and find it's own parking spot.

My wife's Volvo has "Pilot Assist" and "Parking Assist". I don't really trust either of them. "Pilot Assist" is ok for a few seconds at a time if you're trying to futz with the navigation or open a drink while cruising on the freeway.

My pilot assist in those situations is drive by knee. I use it frequently, no extra cost added.

My pilot assist in those situations is drive by knee. I use it frequently, no extra cost added.

Wife's too short to use her knee. Besides, keeping her in a "nice" car that SHE likes helps keep me in aviation. ;-)

Back