206 pros & cons

Kitch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kitch
So this is my story.... 25 hour student pilot should've soloed by now just having trouble "getting" the flare down. Anyhow really leaning towards a 206 when I get my ticket (training in a 172).
At 6'5" and built like an NFL lineman I'm not interested in climbing up on a low wing. LOL
Need space and useful load.

Tell me the good, bad, and ugly of the 206.

Pro: fits your mission unlike just about all other options.

Does anything else really matter?

Why not a 205, 207, or 210?

Oh, and someone has to say that Al mooney was tall so Mooney’s are for tall people and bonanzas are just better anyway. (Got that out of the way for you)

The 206 Is exterior dimensional nearly identical to a 182 except the cabin area extends farther towards the empennage. The dash cowling is taller as well with door arrangement different. The larger fuel injected engine is a real plus. Nice plane and a heavy lifter.

Also best training video ever on when to flare:

Don’t ever be discouraged by some artificial metric of “by when” you have completed a training step. Commonly a pilot who took 80 hours to get a PPL has seen more situations with a professional in the right seat then a lower time PPL. I took extra time to fly to many new airports, weather, density alt, and cross-winds fields of various types. I wanted more training than the regs mandated. I also switched to high-performance aircraft mid training in a 182P.

Last edited:
I have a 210, almost the same as a 206, just ‘4’ better. From looking at 206’s, the ‘bad’ is mainly the acquisition cost! The good seems to be the load, the ginormous side door, and the lower insurance costs over the 210.

Going from a 172 to a 206 will be interesting. Might find a 182 to fly for a few hours first.

I went from a 172 to a 205 with no training and other than the feeling of heaviness, it was fun to fly and all that extra room inside made carrying four people and a LOT of stuff easy.

As far as bang for the buck, it's hard to beat!

I've owned this C206 for 35 years and can't find much wrong with it. Fuel consumption is probably one downside, although you don't have to fly it at full power. Useful load is huge, and you very rarely need to even calculate W&B unless something seems a little "off". I did that 20 years ago after loading a 250 cc Ducati motorcycle into the plane along with camping gear, tools, survival equipment and food, chairs, tarps, shotgun, water, clothing, etc. etc. to the point that I wasn't sure everything would fit. I weighed everything (even my charts), and calculated the moment arm for every item. With full fuel (80 gallons) and all of that gear and one passenger we were around 400 pounds UNDER gross weight and the CG was almost mid-envelope. (We also found that we could sleep in the plane as long as we put the motorcycle outside. See this link for details.)

A few years ago we went overboard with ADS-B compliance and ended up with a fancy Garmin panel. (The plane in similar condition in 1984 was valued at $35,000. Now 35 years later, with the panel upgrade, it's worth more like $160,000, and the older models are sought after because they have a higher useful load than the new ones, which now cost somewhere close to $800,000.) Yikes!

Always liked the 206, I’d go with a U206 with a IO550 and extensions.

I’d maybe go up with another CFI, I’d also ask where you are looking when you round out over the runway, you want to be looking at the infinity point, basically the point on the horizon at some distance that moves the least, just take power away and try to old the plane off and look at that point, DONT look up close and don’t think about the flare as something you do, it’s a side effect of holding the plane 6” off the runway till it touches down. Also pretend there is a ratchet on the home, once you’re down low once you pull it slightly back to hold the plane off you can’t put it back forward, if it starts to sink out just burp in a little power. That’s a quick off the cuff. 25hrs is a little excessive, most CFIs can solo most folks around 14hrs.

Last edited:
Slow, uses a lot of fuel, expensive engine overhaul.

Depends on your mission, lots of 206s working for a living out there.

Also a good backcountry, which can make it quite fast by not needing a airport.

I have a similar plane, quite happy with it, 120-150kts (depending on configuration) and 15gph ain’t bad,

Last edited:
P206 has a right side door. U206 has a big cargo door but no passenger door. I like the U for utility and the P for passengers. I hate riding right seat in a U model. Plus with full flaps the U's cargo door won't open. In both models the third row is difficult to get in or out of.

Very solid, stable airplanes. The nose gear is WAY tougher than a 182.

If you can afford it, a 206 is a good platform. You didn't say what your typical mission is so it's hard to nail down. A turbo 206 add about 10 knots, but eats even more gas, and probably won't make TBO. Try a C-182 or turbo T182 first and see how that goes. That may be all the plane you need. If you do chose a 206, fly with a CFI for 10 hours to get used to the weight. A C-210 is an option, but keep in mind they don't make them anymore so they're all getting long-in-tooth and will cost more to replace parts.

Seems like a great plane. One Cessna quirk, which was discussed here awhile back...no copilot door. If it's mostly gonna be just you and a buddy a 182 might be a cheaper alternative...but I'd take a 206 over a 182 if someone was buying.

Seems like a great plane. One Cessna quirk, which was discussed here awhile back...no copilot door. If it's mostly gonna be just you and a buddy a 182 might be a cheaper alternative...but I'd take a 206 over a 182 if someone was buying.

There’s a mod for that, making the ultimate 206, a U with a pax door.

https://www.wipaire.com/about-wipaire/the-history-of-wipaire-inc/right_hand_door/

Also they can fly with the rear doors off, just a side note if anyone ever wants to jump your plane

205 owner here, they’re awesome. The only downside is they’re slow. The only thing I’d upgrade to is a turbo 206. I think the 205 and the NA 206s can be pretty comparable performance and cost-wise, but adding the turbo costs a lot more in fuel and maintenance. I still want one (I do a lot of hot/heavy/short/rough kind of stuff with the 205 and a turbo would be nice).

It's the only plane I'd replace my Skywagon with. They're awesomely capable airplanes!

It's the only plane I'd replace my Skywagon with. They're awesomely capable airplanes!

Wants to replace a taildragger with a nosewheel. :eek:

Refuses to accept that a Bo is the (only) correct answer in that instance. :p

Double violation!
Reported.

They're better than a 205. Bigger motor, bigger tail.

Not my cup of tea on skis or I might own one. Awesome float planes. Really good big tire STOL planes.

The 206 Is exterior dimensional nearly identical to a 182 except the cabin area extends farther towards the empennage. The dash cowling is taller as well with door arrangement different. The larger fuel injected engine is a real plus. Nice plane and a heavy lifter.

Also best training video ever on when to flare:

Don’t ever be discouraged by some artificial metric of “by when” you have completed a training step. Commonly a pilot who took 80 hours to get a PPL has seen more situations with a professional in the right seat then a lower time PPL. I took extra time to fly to many new airports, weather, density alt, and cross-winds fields of various types. I wanted more training than the regs mandated. I also switched to high-performance aircraft mid training in a 182P.
I flew for over 20 years and never had any confidence in my landings. Then I watched Rods silly little video and went out and tried it. I now put my plane where i want it almost every time. Its interesting how one small idea, explained in a certain way, can dramatically improve your flying.

One downside I've found is that it can get real hard to push it back into a parking space as one gets older, especially if the ramp is not completely level and smooth. (I'm thinking that lifting weights might help.)

Thanks for all the replies!!

At how many hours can I expect to overhaul the engine in a turbo 206 ?

Most of my flying will be around the northeast with the exception of a couple of trips a year to the midwest. I’m more concerned with ease of access and comfort than breaking the sound barrier. The same reason I drive an F350 everyday.

...At how many hours can I expect to overhaul the engine in a turbo 206 ?

Most of my flying will be around the northeast with the exception of a couple of trips a year to the midwest...

Why would you want (or need) a turbo for flying in these regions?

Certainly not a need. More of a want from the perspective that I only intend to buy 1 airplane for my flying career so I want to be able to what I want to do wether its my standard mission, taking a mountain flying course in the rockies, or being able to get out of the AZ desert at noon in August.

Wants to replace a taildragger with a nosewheel. :eek:

Refuses to accept that a Bo is the (only) correct answer in that instance. :p

Double violation!
Reported.
Whoa whoa whoa! When I say replace, I mean if and only if my hangar collapsed on my plane and the Skywagon market is as dry as it is now. I would never, ever sell my plane.

Last edited:

Most of my flying will be around the northeast with the exception of a couple of trips a year to the midwest. I’m more concerned with ease of access and comfort than breaking the sound barrier. The same reason I drive an F350 everyday.
Have you ever been in a 206? Not as comfy as you may imagine. A 180/182/185 may be what you need. Definitely better from the right seat perspective.

I think you’d be better off with a IO550 black Mac prop and extensions, that’s pretty much the configuration all the 206s that fly to put food on peoples plates are in.

Certainly not a need. More of a want from the perspective that I only intend to buy 1 airplane for my flying career so I want to be able to what I want to do wether its my standard mission, taking a mountain flying course in the rockies, or being able to get out of the AZ desert at noon in August.

Driving an F350 when you only need an F150 for a daily driver, except for the one time in the year you might need to haul a 45 ft 5th wheel holiday trailer, is not nearly as expensive as hauling around a big engine, 6-seat, turbo-charged airplane on the spec you might some day take a mountain flying course, or just have to take off fully loaded at mid-day in summer in the high altitude desert.

Unless you are in the enviable position of being completely cost insensitive, you are heading for a place where you own "way too much airplane" and it'll sit on the ground not being flown because of that.

I had a 206H for a few years, engine is expensive to overhaul like 50,000 I think, same speeds as a 182, fuel burn is higher than a 182 about 2-30 gallons at cruise leaned, the newer H models do not have that great of a usable weight load, the older ones do they are lighter and are better

heavy hauler, nose heavy, if loaded forward cg you will need some weight in the back to help the flare with full flaps and on a steep approach, a handful with full flaps and a low slow in the flare last minute go around, some idiot rode a dirt bike onto the runway, when I was slow about 55 knots, I missed the fool by about 5 feet as I went over him that was fun, deer same thing so practice those go around.

the rear seat is worthless less I took mine out, easy to load withe big doors on the H models, but good luck getting out in an an emergency for the rear passengers, those doors do not open very far with the flaps down, unless you know exactly hot to open them and still not good design.

Stable IFR plat form but slow, get a 182 and save the money,

You are going to have way more options with a 182 as more are on the used market. Cheaper to maintain and it'll still haul just about everything you can stuff in it. The 206 is no bigger inside for the pilot than the 182. 130 knots on 12GPH is typical and that's better on the wallet than 16GPH and nearly the same speed. And you don't "need" a turbo, even if you do go out west at some point.

Actually a 206 is about 10-15kts faster than a 182, depending on model years compared. The legacy 206's fuel injected IO-520 engine verses O-470 is a better density altitude performer and heavier hauler by about 300lbs more useful load.

Also an IO-520 can be run well at LOP while the O-470 is challenged to do so given the unequal intake runners. I've flow both and both are very good depending on the mission. Fuel consumption is about 2 GPH higher with the 206.

Agree with other comments about the 206 having a heavier nose, but quite stable to fly. Also has a taller cowl, and being taller is helpful. A couple of friends with 206's have jettisoned the 3rd row seats for cargo area, as they are only good for kids or adults for short hops.

The U206 with the cargo doors are a delight if you carry camping gear or mountain bikes. Carrying bikes in a 182 requires the rear seats to be removed.

I own a 182P and it's joy to fly with over 1100lbs of useful load.

Others may have different experiences.

Last edited:
I had a 206H for a few years, engine is expensive to overhaul like 50,000 I think, same speeds as a 182, fuel burn is higher than a 182 about 2-30 gallons at cruise leaned, the newer H models do not have that great of a usable weight load, the older ones do they are lighter and are better

heavy hauler, nose heavy, if loaded forward cg you will need some weight in the back to help the flare with full flaps and on a steep approach, a handful with full flaps and a low slow in the flare last minute go around, some idiot rode a dirt bike onto the runway, when I was slow about 55 knots, I missed the fool by about 5 feet as I went over him that was fun, deer same thing so practice those go around.

the rear seat is worthless less I took mine out, easy to load withe big doors on the H models, but good luck getting out in an an emergency for the rear passengers, those doors do not open very far with the flaps down, unless you know exactly hot to open them and still not good design.

Stable IFR plat form but slow, get a 182 and save the money,

50k?!

Yeah, thats a great reason to go with a 520/550

Back