Hey young people, tell us what you can do!

My point is that they were young when they invented it, Jobs was 21 when he founded Apple. It also wasn't an edict against all "old people" - my dad is 76 and is obsessed with Linux and tinkering around. But the point holds that for every Avocado toast obsessed loser millennial you've got someone modern technology illiterate.

I used to keep the January and February 1975 issues of Popular Electronics magazine available whenever those "Apple Evangelists" came around trying to say how Apple had invented the PC. Where do you think Job and Wozniak got the idea? I hated those idiots and their revisionist history.

Some 30 year old must have come up with that....

At 60 I can still do everything I did at 40, just not as often or as fast....

:lol::lol:

You haven't had prostate cancer surgery.

I’ve seen that as well with a lot young people today. Friend’s family came to visit a couple months back and their 18 year old son only had a learners permit and had no desire to own a car. Here I couldn’t wait to take Drivers Ed over summer school and get my license and then be able to drive the family car. Just blows my mind.

Man, I couldn't wait for the end of my Sophomore year in high school so I could take the driving test and get my license. Not caring is unbelievable to me.

I used to keep the January and February 1975 issues of Popular Electronics magazine available whenever those "Apple Evangelists" came around trying to say how Apple had invented the PC. Where do you think Job and Wozniak got the idea? I hated those idiots and their revisionist history.
lol
And really, if we're talking about "modern PC" - or the idea of a useful graphical interface that was not just a terminal window you almost have to thank Xerox for that, and Microsoft (depending on if you're in the camp that Microsoft stole Xerox idea)

But the ultra Apple crowd is as bad as the Tesla, Cirrus, etc., extremists. They're a caricature and don't represent the average user of said product.

But the ultra Apple crowd is as bad as the Tesla, Cirrus, etc., extremists. They're a caricature and don't represent the average user of said product.

And they are on PoA!!

lol
And really, if we're talking about "modern PC" - or the idea of a useful graphical interface that was not just a terminal window you almost have to thank Xerox for that, and Microsoft (depending on if you're in the camp that Microsoft stole Xerox idea)

Having lived through that era (but not on the inside of Xerox, Apple or Microsoft) I'm pretty sure Apple stole the idea from Xerox (Steve Jobs said as much or pretty close) and Microsoft stole it from Apple and changed it enough for Apple not to sue. Look up Digital Research's GEM. It ran on PCs, and looked almost exactly like the Mac interface. It worked really well too. Apple sued them and shut it down.

.... My son is my best friend.

I'm glad you have a great relationship with your son, and the following point I'm about to make isn't aimed at you... I know nothing specific about you or your family, so please don't take offense or take this personally.

I've known a few people, mostly single women, who've wanted and then had children because they thought it would make them happy or because they wanted a friend... sort of like wanting a puppy who would love them uncomditionally. Didn't work out well usually. My father was definitely not my friend, he was my parent.. there a many times when a parent, as the person responsible for their child's safety and well-being, must make decisions that no one would allow a friend to make. If the child views the parent as a "friend," they will not accept thise decisions, and chaos and awful feelings will ensue. I was definitely not a friend to my own three sons while I raised them. Friendly, yes... their best friend, absolutely not.

Now, as adults, my father IS indeed one of my closest friends, and I consider my now-adult sons good friends too, and I love my entire family with all my heart. I would not recommend starting a family in order to create friends.. your children will need you to be a parent, not a friend, and that is lot more demanding. The rewards are great, and hopefully the friendship will come later. Just my opinion and experience.

I'm glad you have a great relationship with your son, and the following point I'm about to make isn't aimed at you... I know nothing specific about you or your family, so please don't take offense or take this personally.

OK

Just picked this on up in PA and left it at my house in TN. Going up there again this month. Picked it up off CL. Rich folks toy been sitting in their garage last five years, less than 60k original miles.

View attachment 78406

When I saw that picture one word popped into my mind.......plastics.

And this:
th

PS, this was my big issue with CAP. The 9 months or so I spent going to meetings it was not really a welcoming crowd.. you'd see many young (or aspiring) pilots in the 18-25 age group come to a few meetings then stop showing up. I never understood why some adults have this desire to pit two age groups against the other
while it's different for every family. I think generally in the US the quote stands

I studied war (greatest generation and silent generation)
so my children could study engineering (boomers)
so my grandchildren could study art (Millenials)

Gen X gets kind of left out of this, but we're used to that.

Gen X gets kind of left out of this, but we're used to that.
I think my siblings are considered gen X.. all born in the 1970s. Everyone's different but in many ways they were the last "great" generation, in so far as college education costs were not outrageous and you still had the potential to out earn your parents and have a realistic prospect of paying off loans and debt. Millennials are the first generation that will likely make less money than their parents, and many have no realistic prospect of paying off their massive student loan debt

Being in my mid 30s I am starting to notice fat accumulating in places it didn’t before. Granted I am still thin, but I do notice the change.

Me: “I should eat healthier”

Also me:

View attachment 78380
they have the meats!

I'll say Ted, i'm 46, and it's been the last 5 years that I've actually had to really try to keep the weight under control. put on 20 lbs I didn't need with young kids and too much going on in life, now working it back down.

OOOH, Halloween candy on a coworker's desk!!!

Reactions: Ted
I think my siblings are considered gen X.. all born in the 1970s. Everyone's different but in many ways they were the last "great" generation, in so far as college education costs were not outrageous and you still had the potential to out earn your parents and have a realistic prospect of paying off loans and debt. Millennials are the first generation that will likely make less money than their parents, and many have no realistic prospect of paying off their massive student loan debt
I"m not really sure. I mean, the economy was so much slower and there was such a tough environment when we graduated college. I know some amazing millennials, but even the amazing ones I know seem to have pretty high standards for housing/food/cars, but that might be anecdotal.

They key is to not incur debt. Plenty of good paying jerbs out there where you don't need a degree in Ancient Mongolian Sex Practices and How They Affect People That Don't Give a ****. Or if you (think) you need a degree: Pay as you go. Community college as much as you can, and don't pay 12 times as much for English 101 as you need to.

Apparently there are lots of dinosaurs who believe using an old-fashioned transmission and being able mechanically adroit enough to repair vehicles is the epitome of civilization and that there is something fundamentally wrong with anyone who can't do it.
Honestly, as a Gen Xer, I see just as many of my generation who are useless in the garage or on the construction site as millennials, so i'm not sure there's a gap there. I'd say in general, I feel like Xers understand better how computers work (we had to use DOS and learn about file systems and stuff).

Things I do well:

Fly - Been flying since I was 13, am 40 now. I'm just naturally good at it. My last BFR I hadn't flown since the BFR prior to that and the instructor commented that I hadn't gotten rusty at all. I've got about 330 hours TT.
Teaching - I'm very good at taking complex concepts apart and breaking them into individual components to either help myself or others understand them better.
Knot tying - Ok, well I JUST started this, but I'm pretty good at it. I'm a cub scout leader and it's nice to have a few new knots to use when I tie down the aircraft, or for household projects.
Reading people - This has helped me professionally, but I'm very good at reading a person and adapting to different personalities. After a short time with someone I can usually finish their sentences.
Solution design - It's part of what I do for work right now, but I'm good at process improvement or redesign, or just coming up with a way to do something that is scalable, durable and easy to use.
Wit - Perhaps ties in with the items above, I've got a quick wit. Either for jokes or quickly responding to a situation intelligently.
Diplomatic - Maybe I should have been a politician? When I want to, I'm very good at carefully choosing the right words and phrases for a situation.

And yet, despite all of these things (or maybe as a result of them) I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. I'm a professional generalist and other than flying, haven't really found a professional path that I can be passionate about. I'm a late Gen - X'r.

This is a political narrative and doesn’t match the math. It’s absolutely possible for folks to get out of debt, even those with very large student loans they signed on the dotted line for. But not if they won’t accept the lifestyle they signed up for.

Or as Dave Ramsey jokes, “You can fix this mess you made for yourself in just a few years, but you have to commit to a budget and not see the inside of a restaurant unless you’re working there.”

Reason most folks can do it in about the same number of years who try, is that lenders see your other debt and your debt to income ratio. They don’t lend you money beyond a certain point.

It might take a second job at night or an SUV-and-toys-ectomy before the head can be removed from the anal cavity, but it’s not the insurmountable Mt Everest moment most politicos want people to believe.

And no, you don’t “deserve” a new car. That’s usually the hardest cash flow killing item that people don’t want to give up. Once they realize it’s a depreciating box with wheels that’s KILLING them, they figure it out.

This is a political narrative and doesn’t match the math. It’s absolutely possible for folks to get out of debt, even those with very large student loans they signed on the dotted line for. But not if they won’t accept the lifestyle they signed up for.

Or as Dave Ramsey jokes, “You can fix this mess you made for yourself in just a few years, but you have to commit to a budget and not see the inside of a restaurant unless you’re working there.”

Reason most folks can do it in about the same number of years who try, is that lenders see your other debt and your debt to income ratio. They don’t lend you money beyond a certain point.

It might take a second job at night or an SUV-and-toys-ectomy before the head can be removed from the anal cavity, but it’s not the insurmountable Mt Everest moment most politicos want people to believe.

And no, you don’t “deserve” a new car. That’s usually the hardest cash flow killing item that people don’t want to give up. Once they realize it’s a depreciating box with wheels that’s KILLING them, they figure it out.
Wish I could give this more than one "like". Every single word is true. Especially the part about it being a political narrative. If you set low enough expectations for people, they won't have to try so hard to meet them.

Agree @denverpilot and @JOhnH. Though, it is an uphill battle for folks today in the job market because many of the roles these Millennial's (and other generations) are replacing are being vacated by Boomers who were perfectly content making what (to them) was a good living at maybe less than par salaries compared to what is being demanded now-a-days. Many Boomers have decades of experience in their profession and when they retire, all that goes with them. So the replacement either has to be someone with years of experience at a lower salary.

The problem is the Boomer replacements (many of whom are college graduates) are expecting $100K+ with 0 years experience for a job that might start at less than half that. And their sold that bill of goods by colleges and social media so they say, "It's fine that I have $200k of student debt for a degree in philosophy", I'll get out of that in a few years with my $150k job. And then they realize oh, you mean the job market already has 100,000 of me with the same exact degree. Then it's a race to the bottom salary-wise.

I did some stupid things with money and its taken YEARS to get rid of the debt. It SUCKS to not be able to do what I want to do, but I have no one to blame but myself. It's not a generational thing..it's a person thing. Don't take on debt you can't pay back in a reasonable amount of time. You have to be smarter with your money and your lifestyle. Live beneath your means, not AT it.

Agree @denverpilot and @JOhnH. Though, it is an uphill battle for folks today in the job market because many of the roles these Millennial's (and other generations) are replacing are being vacated by Boomers who were perfectly content making what (to them) was a good living at maybe less than par salaries compared to what is being demanded now-a-days. Many Boomers have decades of experience in their profession and when they retire, all that goes with them. So the replacement either has to be someone with years of experience at a lower salary.

The problem is the Boomer replacements (many of whom are college graduates) are expecting $100K+ with 0 years experience for a job that might start at less than half that. And their sold that bill of goods by colleges and social media so they say, "It's fine that I have $200k of student debt for a degree in philosophy", I'll get out of that in a few years with my $150k job. And then they realize oh, you mean the job market already has 100,000 of me with the same exact degree. Then it's a race to the bottom salary-wise.

I did some stupid things with money and its taken YEARS to get rid of the debt. It SUCKS to not be able to do what I want to do, but I have no one to blame but myself. It's not a generational thing..it's a person thing. Don't take on debt you can't pay back in a reasonable amount of time. You have to be smarter with your money and your lifestyle. Live beneath your means, not AT it.
I guess I was lucky. My parents were poor and I learned from an early age that debt is bad. They were always juggling which bill to pay and avoiding bill collectors. When I was 16 I paid cash for my first car ($400 for a 1959 Olds 98). That was in 1968. Everybody laughed at that car, but it was the first time anyone in my family had a car with no car payments. I saved that $400 from my $1.40 minimum wage job.

So..
A.) definitely don't pile on debt
B.) don't major in "Gender studies in the Mongolian Empire"
^these are gender / age / generation agnostic truths

BUT.. the fact of the matter is Millennials have far less spending power. You can no longer buy a house and feed a family of four on one income. More likely, you rent an overpriced apartment and not have kids while two people struggle to pay rent, don't own a car, and use public transport. And I'm sorry, most people are not clamoring to live in the middle of nowhere where rents are still cheap, and that's kind of besides the point anyway..

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45084530
upload_2019-10-4_17-55-51.png

This is from BBC and UK but you'll find nearly identical trends here in the US, the same (similar) charts can be found for cost of tuition / education and average employee pay vs manager / CEO / director pay.

Also, there is some truth in the "rich get richer" thing. CEO compensation has grown 940% since 1978

So.. you know. Life honestly does objectively SUCK for millennials, and to top it off we have older generation folks telling us, basically, that it's our fault and to "pull ourselves up by the bootstrap" and move on while they collect a pension and social security that most people under 40 will never dream of having

Part of that is the Millennials or what I've noticed is that they don't want to start in a starter house 2 bedrooms 1 bath and work their way up. THey immediately want the four bedroom three bath with a pool. It doesn't work that way. I looked at a bunch of houses is not the super best neighborhoods when I was starting out. There are still oodles and oodles of houses out there (not on the coasts) that are very affordable for starter income. Is it a big open floor plan? Nope. Is it a show off place? Nope. Does it have a his and hers gaming room? Nope. You dont get to move out of mommy and daddy's mcmansion into your own mcmansion right out of gate. Hell, 20+ years later I'm still in a 2 bedroom house.

You can't always get what you want...
But if you try sometime,
You just might find,
You get what you need.

"But I need 3000 squuuure feeeeeeeeet right away." *tantrum ensues*

You can't live in some of the most expensive areas of the country and complain about prices. Move your ******* ass somewhere more affordable if it is so horrible. But but but the weeeeaaaathhherrrrr...

They just keep adding to that list of excuses.

And no I'm not one of the ones that's going to collect a pension.

Last edited:
So..
A.) definitely don't pile on debt
B.) don't major in "Gender studies in the Mongolian Empire"
^these are gender / age / generation agnostic truths

BUT.. the fact of the matter is Millennials have far less spending power. You can no longer buy a house and feed a family of four on one income. More likely, you rent an overpriced apartment and not have kids while two people struggle to pay rent, don't own a car, and use public transport. And I'm sorry, most people are not clamoring to live in the middle of nowhere where rents are still cheap, and that's kind of besides the point anyway..

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45084530
View attachment 78420

This is from BBC and UK but you'll find nearly identical trends here in the US, the same (similar) charts can be found for cost of tuition / education and average employee pay vs manager / CEO / director pay.

Also, there is some truth in the "rich get richer" thing. CEO compensation has grown 940% since 1978

So.. you know. Life honestly does objectively SUCK for millennials, and to top it off we have older generation folks telling us, basically, that it's our fault and to "pull ourselves up by the bootstrap" and move on while they collect a pension and social security that most people under 40 will never dream of having

I’m going to disagree. We also have things that our parents never had. Cable TV, cell phone service, gym memberships, online subscriptions, multi-car families, etc that are normal for millennials but that previous generations didn’t worry with. We are lifestyle and appearance obsessed and take keeping up with the Joneses to a new level. Objectively our lives are good quality as well. We grew up in air conditioned homes. We have access to more information and more amenities than any generation in history. If our purchasing power has decreased it is because we have demanded that we want more. I could go into a full-fledged rant about new car prices but the fact is that consumers have directly or indirectly demanded the very features that are making them expensive. Same with housing. There are many of us who have no desire to live on the coasts because of the insane costs of living. I am in the minority of my peers because o do NOT have kids, own a home, etc. A cadre of millennials like to spell gloom and doom for us and I’m not buying it. Even from a marketing analytics perspective we are an enormously lucrative market segment, but we tend to be tight fisted because we came of age during the dot com and housing busts.

If you want to live similarly to our parents, do the following. Buy the cheapest new car you can get and keep it till it falls apart. Get rid of cable or satellite. Have one TV. We have made it nearly impossible as a society to go without internet so get the least expensive ISP that you can. Don’t have a smartphone. Get the most basic cell phone and cell phone plan that you can get. We will call that the equivalent of a landline, which you won’t have today. Buy a small two bedroom / one bath slab home in the midwestern suburbs. Take driving vacations tonthe Gulf of Mexico / Great Lakes / National parks / etc. Get your clothes at Target or Wal Mart.

Last edited:
buying a cheap car and not having a TV will not change the fact that home prices are orders of magnitude higher and so is the general cost of living vs what the typical income has increased by

It is ultimately easier to blame the individual than the system as a whole. Home costs and education costs vs income is one of the single biggest indicators of this

up until the late 80s and early 90s it was also typical for companies to offer healthy 401K packages and pensions. I'm not aware of any private-sector job that still offers pensions to new hires, and only about half of full-time employers offer a 401k, and only about a half of those offer a match

Don't get me wrong, millennials deserve plenty of blame and hatred for their general wussification of America and wimpy attitudes. But it's not all on them, you have to look at the parents that raised them and the system they are living in

PS.. I can only Imagine the responses we get if we had a thread on here titled "hey old people, tell us what you can do!"

Standard is double

buying a cheap car and not having a TV will not change the fact that home prices are orders of magnitude higher and so is the general cost of living vs what the typical income has increased by

It is ultimately easier to blame the individual than the system as a whole. Home costs and education costs vs income is one of the single biggest indicators of this

Order of mag higher since us gen xers bought our first? GTFO!

I'm putting the blame solely on the individual who racked up crap ton of debt and wants a mcmansion as soon as they have their degree that they CHOSE to waste their money on.

Disagree. Prices have gone up, but so have wages. Sure you can't expect to buy a house ANYWHERE you live, you have to pick and choose. If I made $50K a year I couldn't go buy a house in Seattle for example right next to where I worked because that house probably costs $1M. So, either don't live in that area or make other arrangements until you CAN afford something sorta close. You can't skip from A->Z. Life is hard, you have to work for it.

Let's look at average house costs and avg salaries, between about 9 years ago and 69 years ago.

In 1950 a new house cost on avg about 7,400. Average household income was about $2,990 per year.
In 2010 a new house cost on avg about 221,000. Average household income is about $50,000 per year.

Rent costs about $991/month on average and if you split that with a roommate it's about $500 (rounding up), which is $6k per year for that. So, let's say you blow half your money on other stuff, that's still 22k per year which in about a year (maybe more) would be enough of a down payment on your avg house. The problem, is that people are stupid with their money. Instead of saving that ~22K and buying a house they blow a thousand dollars on an iPhone 11 Pro, computers, expensive cars, vacations, hobbies, flying (hah), etc.

The point is, buying a house is obviously NOT a priority for these folks. If it was, they'd have one. The problem is they prioritized OTHER things above owning a house and now it's suddenly a shocker when they don't have the cash to pony up for a down payment? Gimme a break. You have a finite amount of money, you can choose to be poor, buy shiny things and rent the rest of your life, or make due with what folks have made due with for many years before you for a couple years and get into something better.

I bought my house when I was 28. I rented before then and while I make a fairly comfortable living now, I didn't always. Buying a house was a priority right after I got married, so I buckled down and made it happen. It's this sense of entitlement and blaming the "system" that bothers me. Maybe it takes longer now then it did in 1950, but being a homeowner is very much doable for the motivated individual.

Also on the education side of things, you can get a free ride if you study and apply yourself, or if you volunteer and get scholarships or grants.

What makes ZERO sense is the do nothing individual that goes to school, pays completely out of pocket, racks up debt in the 10s or 100s of thousands, comes out with a degree and thinks the world owes them a 6 figure salary, a house and a pat on the back, or they expect mommy and daddy will bail them out because..stuff.

All it takes is a little planning and forethought. Don't blame the system because people are too stupid to research grants, or study hard, or budget their money, or actually pick a vocation that MAKES money.

Post is reaching @denverpilot size so..I'll stop here lol..

Last edited:
Just picked this on up in PA and left it at my house in TN.
If you don’t mind me asking, what part of TN?
many have no realistic prospect of paying off their massive student loan debt
I’m fortunate to be sailing through college debt free. I feel bad for those who are 90k-100k in debt for a career that’ll pay 40k tops. As some here have said before, if you’re going to go through college, at least get a degree that you can make a living off of. If your degree is no more than a ‘would you like to supersize that for .80c?’ certificate, don’t bother with a college education.

There is some gap there. But it’s not as wide as many would have people believe. As a ratio it’s maybe, generously... 20% harder to buy real estate in general. But in the details, outside of the urban hell holes, there’s actually quite decent deals.

Problems include urbanization and this odd idea that as a city grows by multiple millions of people that nobody is going to have to commute, and everyone is going to be within walking distance or a cheap Uber to everything.

I swear the whole “walkable community” was a Boomer developer who came up with that to raise the rent in their crappy old apartments near city centers until they could renovate them and charge double that even. LOL. Big cities you’ve always had to go further and further from city center to find affordable livable new housing.

In “popular” cities like Denver the gap percentage is higher but average wages have also grown significantly. We’re just repeating California. Sure you have a six figure job, but your house cost $1M. If people can’t figure out ratios they will keep moving here. It’s dumb. And why the Metro now spreads from nearly Wyoming to Colorado Springs. Because guess what they’re actually doing? Commuting. Through a city center that hasn’t added significant traffic lanes in two decades. It’s beyond retarded to want to move here for that, but they keep coming.

up until the late 80s and early 90s it was also typical for companies to offer healthy 401K packages and pensions. I'm not aware of any private-sector job that still offers pensions to new hires, and only about half of full-time employers offer a 401k, and only about a half of those offer a match

Pensions were gone when I entered the workforce in the late 80s. Not sure who revised that history, but GenX doesn’t have them unless we worked for government. One of my folks had one and it was bought out in an early retirement pitch. Here’s hoping they invested it well. The other one never had one and had to save it all in IRAs. Didn’t even have a 401k. He retired at 53. So he really got after it. Eventually he went back to work out of boredom and needing to have a little cash to pay for medical coverage until 62. And then he didn’t make it to that even.

Order of mag higher since us gen xers bought our first? GTFO!

Have to agree here. Our first “starter house” was a two bedroom condo and it was over $150 at the time. We rented for years to save up a down payment for THAT real estate, and there weren’t any “no money down” loans. Even an FHA was 10% down and that was non-conforming and cost you a couple of interest rate points. I believe our first was pushing 8%.

Our second property was a 1968 built brick thing, two stories with unfinished basement and an attached one car garage you couldn’t have ever fit a 1968 car into, it barely fit a compact of today. The owner had hand built a detached two car in the back yard which is what sold it to me. It was up past a quarter million bucks and it was a streeeeeetch for us. Fiscally we overbought by a good chunk. We had to hustle to pay for that place and also work on paying it off.

There was absolutely nothing modern inside it that we didn’t install or work on ourselves. The only good news was when it came time to rip out the carpets, we found the standard red oak hardwood that builders used and hid in the 60s. Never finished. That was thousands to finish it, but worth every penny. No A/C, just an 80s vintage furnace and kitchen and baths. One bath was still 60s light blue. And it was great. Bought it in August of 2001 and was out of a job by November. Ha. We somehow managed to not miss a mortgage payment while I hunted for a job for a full year.

We were pretty frugal before that but that’s when we learned how to be REALLY frugal. And happy at the same time. Our awakening to not having ANY debt came from that layoff. So we got after it.

I took eight years off of flying to pay for all of the housing and life stuff. Really the opportunity to co-own was when I got serious about it again, and I bought into the airplane in 2008 or 2009 I think it was. A photo came up of me washing it that was ten years old on FB last week.

In 1950 a new house cost on avg about 7,400. Average household income was about $2,990 per year.
In 2010 a new house cost on avg about 221,000. Average household income is about $50,000 per year.

Post is reaching @denverpilot size so..I'll stop here lol..

LOL. I liked the detail.

Denver again has that “popular” curse and it just kills people but they keep coming. Median house is almost $500K, and median salary is $76K. So the gap is wider.

The stupidity is that people keep paying the half a million bucks for the houses. The Californians moving here have been extra stupid in that they’ll scrape a 100 year old house off a tiny lot and replace it with a $2M McMansion eyesore pushed to within inches of the lot setback. Frosted windows on the sides required or someone will be watching you take a dump from theirs next door. The suburban builders are doing it also. Three story things that you can’t fit a lawn mower between.

And these will all sit empty during our next real economic bust here. It’ll happen.

But yeah. Different values for lots of younger folks and that’s fine, but I do think they then get surprised when folks say “So now you want a house and it’s not going to be a pretty one, and you’re going to have to dump the $2000/mo city center apartment with all the amenities and move into a much cheaper one for about four years to save up a down payment on the old small starter house way out of town. You’ll also be needing a reliable couple of inexpensive cars to make that commute... And if you want to go out regularly it’s going to take a few big promotions or you’ll be cooking...

To go from that relatively nice condo to that first house took a BIG hit on aesthetics and a commitment to doing a bunch of work on it ourselves. And no, as much as I would KILL to still have that condo as a rental property today... we couldn’t afford not to roll every penny out of it into the house either. That condo would be making us a small fortune if we could have held on to it.

It’s all in priorities and expectations. I should drive through the neighborhood they built on top of the old Stapleton airport and shoot some pictures of how crowded the little townhomes are, and then shock folks with their price tags. Insanity.

I work in an office that’s a converted warehouse a quarter mile away. Ha. We have fifteen year old ORANGE indoor/outdoor carpet. Because we all know putting new carpet in means someone we can’t hire or pay better. :) My desk literally sits on the north end of the old 35R runway.

If you don’t mind me asking, what part of TN?

I’m fortunate to be sailing through college debt free. I feel bad for those who are 90k-100k in debt for a career that’ll pay 40k tops. As some here have said before, if you’re going to go through college, at least get a degree that you can make a living off of. If your degree is no more than a ‘would you like to supersize that for .80c?’ certificate, don’t bother with a college education.

My house is a couple blocks from the Livingston airport. On Airport Rd, in fact :)

I feed my family of four on one income. My dad fed his family on ten on one income. Don’t tell me it can’t be done.

My longtime boss also fed a gaggle on one. His wife substitute taught math from time to time. He was the guy who said, “If you can’t bill for it, it’s just a hobby.” :)

Hi all, went to a digital detox for a day or two there. I guess my point was that millennials aren't all lazy losers, there are economic factors that make their life challenging, and all the nonsense they were told growing up that they can be and do anything they wanted to do is not actually true

it's important to encourage your kids and make them think that the world is their oyster, but you also have to be realistic. If my son (or daughter) wants to major in a bogus degree I will do everything I can to talk him out of that. Engineering, finance, computer science, those are worthy fields

Hi all, went to a digital detox for a day or two there. I guess my point was that millennials aren't all lazy losers, there are economic factors that make their life challenging, and all the nonsense they were told growing up that they can be and do anything they wanted to do is not actually true

it's important to encourage your kids and make them think that the world is their oyster, but you also have to be realistic. If my son (or daughter) wants to major in a bogus degree I will do everything I can to talk him out of that. Engineering, finance, computer science, those are worthy fields
As all that nonsense people spout about the ancient Greek elders lamenting their young point out, kids don't change much. What changes is the way they are raised and taught. If you don't teach discipline, you get undisciplined kids. If you spoil them, you get spoiled kids. If you tell them nothing is their fault, then you get kids that don't take responsibility for their actions. If you raise them with the idea that rich people are evil, then you get people that hate rich people.

Edit: Trying not to get banned.

Last edited:

That's because most millennials were raised by the first generation where discipline was eschewed because of the proliferation of threats of child abuse, calls to CPS, etc... That's pretty much my generation. So the first generation that was undisciplined had kids who who were told they could get away with anything and be anything, because we got away with anything and everything.

There is some gap there. But it’s not as wide as many would have people believe. As a ratio it’s maybe, generously... 20% harder to buy real estate in general. But in the details, outside of the urban hell holes, there’s actually quite decent deals.

Problems include urbanization and this odd idea that as a city grows by multiple millions of people that nobody is going to have to commute, and everyone is going to be within walking distance or a cheap Uber to everything.

I swear the whole “walkable community” was a Boomer developer who came up with that to raise the rent in their crappy old apartments near city centers until they could renovate them and charge double that even. LOL. Big cities you’ve always had to go further and further from city center to find affordable livable new housing.

In “popular” cities like Denver the gap percentage is higher but average wages have also grown significantly. We’re just repeating California. Sure you have a six figure job, but your house cost $1M. If people can’t figure out ratios they will keep moving here. It’s dumb. And why the Metro now spreads from nearly Wyoming to Colorado Springs. Because guess what they’re actually doing? Commuting. Through a city center that hasn’t added significant traffic lanes in two decades. It’s beyond retarded to want to move here for that, but they keep coming.

Pensions were gone when I entered the workforce in the late 80s. Not sure who revised that history, but GenX doesn’t have them unless we worked for government. One of my folks had one and it was bought out in an early retirement pitch. Here’s hoping they invested it well. The other one never had one and had to save it all in IRAs. Didn’t even have a 401k. He retired at 53. So he really got after it. Eventually he went back to work out of boredom and needing to have a little cash to pay for medical coverage until 62. And then he didn’t make it to that even.

Have to agree here. Our first “starter house” was a two bedroom condo and it was over $150 at the time. We rented for years to save up a down payment for THAT real estate, and there weren’t any “no money down” loans. Even an FHA was 10% down and that was non-conforming and cost you a couple of interest rate points. I believe our first was pushing 8%.

Our second property was a 1968 built brick thing, two stories with unfinished basement and an attached one car garage you couldn’t have ever fit a 1968 car into, it barely fit a compact of today. The owner had hand built a detached two car in the back yard which is what sold it to me. It was up past a quarter million bucks and it was a streeeeeetch for us. Fiscally we overbought by a good chunk. We had to hustle to pay for that place and also work on paying it off.

There was absolutely nothing modern inside it that we didn’t install or work on ourselves. The only good news was when it came time to rip out the carpets, we found the standard red oak hardwood that builders used and hid in the 60s. Never finished. That was thousands to finish it, but worth every penny. No A/C, just an 80s vintage furnace and kitchen and baths. One bath was still 60s light blue. And it was great. Bought it in August of 2001 and was out of a job by November. Ha. We somehow managed to not miss a mortgage payment while I hunted for a job for a full year.

We were pretty frugal before that but that’s when we learned how to be REALLY frugal. And happy at the same time. Our awakening to not having ANY debt came from that layoff. So we got after it.

I took eight years off of flying to pay for all of the housing and life stuff. Really the opportunity to co-own was when I got serious about it again, and I bought into the airplane in 2008 or 2009 I think it was. A photo came up of me washing it that was ten years old on FB last week.

LOL. I liked the detail.

Denver again has that “popular” curse and it just kills people but they keep coming. Median house is almost $500K, and median salary is $76K. So the gap is wider.

The stupidity is that people keep paying the half a million bucks for the houses. The Californians moving here have been extra stupid in that they’ll scrape a 100 year old house off a tiny lot and replace it with a $2M McMansion eyesore pushed to within inches of the lot setback. Frosted windows on the sides required or someone will be watching you take a dump from theirs next door. The suburban builders are doing it also. Three story things that you can’t fit a lawn mower between.

And these will all sit empty during our next real economic bust here. It’ll happen.

But yeah. Different values for lots of younger folks and that’s fine, but I do think they then get surprised when folks say “So now you want a house and it’s not going to be a pretty one, and you’re going to have to dump the $2000/mo city center apartment with all the amenities and move into a much cheaper one for about four years to save up a down payment on the old small starter house way out of town. You’ll also be needing a reliable couple of inexpensive cars to make that commute... And if you want to go out regularly it’s going to take a few big promotions or you’ll be cooking...

To go from that relatively nice condo to that first house took a BIG hit on aesthetics and a commitment to doing a bunch of work on it ourselves. And no, as much as I would KILL to still have that condo as a rental property today... we couldn’t afford not to roll every penny out of it into the house either. That condo would be making us a small fortune if we could have held on to it.

It’s all in priorities and expectations. I should drive through the neighborhood they built on top of the old Stapleton airport and shoot some pictures of how crowded the little townhomes are, and then shock folks with their price tags. Insanity.

I work in an office that’s a converted warehouse a quarter mile away. Ha. We have fifteen year old ORANGE indoor/outdoor carpet. Because we all know putting new carpet in means someone we can’t hire or pay better. :) My desk literally sits on the north end of the old 35R runway.

In the outskirts of Seattle in 2003 I bought the cheapest stick built, single family detachedhome in king county, north of I90 (240K) . those were my criteria. it was all original 1976 in and out, was in a boring neighborhood, was yellow, etc.

Bought that making 50k/year by myself (no partner). those were tight times. Sold it in 2007 after working nights and weekends on it for 4 years for a little over 400k and moved with my new bride to a different home that was cooler, bigger and closer in.

the point i'm making is that you've got to shed a LOT from your "must" list to get started. I shed all aesthetics, coolness, and "walkable coffee shops and hot yoga studios nearby" to

1. low crime (north of I90)
2. no shared walls
3. cheap as I can get

Most of the millennials I know that are making twice what I made then will not consider the equivalent of that house today, they value fixed up, fancier neighborhood, etc. in general

I don't know about finance these days. If you're in an elite college and you have some industry contacts, maybe you can make it to Private Equity or some other Wall Street type job, but I don't think a bachelors degree in finance from a normal university gets you much. Engineering and IT are good provided you have the natural aptitude for them, and most don't.

My younger daughter is trying to get to nursing school. We're still working on getting her into her preferred school's pre-nursing major. They want to see her first semester's grades from her senior year of high school, and they've asked her to retake the ACT to see if she can raise her score a point or two. Mind you, this is just to get her into pre-nursing. Once she's there, she has to get excellent grades in her first year and then apply to their nursing school. All this to become an RN, which is one of the lower levels of the medical profession. You can imagine how competitive it is to get into a Physician's Assistant program.

All of the degrees that lead to these better jobs are competitive, and more than half the population is not going to have a shot at them.

Last edited:
Let's look at average house costs and avg salaries, between about 9 years ago and 69 years ago.

In 2010 a new house cost on avg about 221,000. Average household income is about $50,000 per year..

Just another factor in that comparison. Average house size in 1950 was 1100ft^2. Average size in 2002 was 2300ft^2.

So maybe houses were cheaper relative to income in 1950 (2.5 years salary vs 4.4 in 2010).

But you could factor that by area and reach the opposite conclusion. Houses today are cheaper.

1950: .0023 years salary/ft^2

2010: .0019 years salary/ft^2

That’s around an 82% reduction in cost per square foot normalized by salary.

Last edited:
This is so much BS it makes my six hurt. In my day you could get out of high school, no college, no nothing, and get a job in a factory that paid you well enough to be solidly middle class. You could feed kids, drive cars, have tV and even a boat or a vacation place in the styx somewhere. There were even some pensions, so you could retire some day. Lots of folks did that.

Those jobs are long gone. It's a different world, and the Millennials have to navigate it. I don't envy them.

Last edited:
Back