An "almost" smacked airplane ... catering truck mishap Chicago

^granted "round and round we go" doesn't really make it obvious that you are potentially creating a duplicate

*also surprised that these little airport vehicles don't work like wave runners, IE, if you bail the vehicle also stops

Either way, that was good, quick thinking by the person who ram'd it

Nothing quick about it...

The whole bunch was useless until Einstein grabbed the tug.

Nothing quick about it...

The whole bunch was useless until Einstein grabbed the tug.

Einstein is one of their trainers. He had a few more brain cells to rub together as well as more than a week of experience. LOL.

Give that guy with the tug a raise!! Great thinking. Unfortunately they’ll likely be brought into office for damaging company property and get cited for it in today’s corporate world.

Unfortunately they’ll likely be brought into office for damaging company property and get cited for it in today’s corporate world.

As they should. The tug and the plane are not owned by the same entity, are they? Screwing up my tug, and someone else's cart, to save yet a third party's airplane? Not good. Also, if the tug guy got injured using the tug improperly? Nothing but problems.

Why nobody followed the tail (from the inside of the circle) up to turn the cart off, I'll never know. Most of them seemed to be in "can you believe this ****?" mode rather than, "what can I do about it?"

Why nobody followed the tail (from the inside of the circle) up to turn the cart off, I'll never know. Most of them seemed to be in "can you believe this ****?" mode rather than, "what can I do about it?"
As someone who's done a lot of stupid **** with a golf cart while working for an airport... that idea is far more likely to get someone hurt, and then laying down in the path of the cart than it is to cause solutions. Short of not letting this happen in the first place, using the tug was definitely the best solution for property and people.

Would your opinion be the same if the cart's momentum carried it up onto the tug and crushed the well meaning driver?

The sage thing to do was to clear the perimeter and let the dust settle. Or, as I said, try to get to the cart controls from the inside of the circle.

Oh well, nobody got hurt, and the guy will probably only have a a 1/2 day training on why the tug is not to be used as a battering ram.

Would your answer be the same if a meteorite hit the airplane 5 minutes later anyway? Oh look I can play the non-sequitur what-if game too!

Only if the meteorite strike happened as a result of in-proper use of the airplane.

The person used the tug in a matter not in keeping with the intended use. That included unneeded risk.

While it played out as a "win" it was a dumb thing to do, and the person needs to be educated on that.

And therein lies the demise of the strategic corporal.

Would your opinion be the same if the cart's momentum carried it up onto the tug and crushed the well meaning driver?

The sage thing to do was to clear the perimeter and let the dust settle. Or, as I said, try to get to the cart controls from the inside of the circle.

Oh well, nobody got hurt, and the guy will probably only have a a 1/2 day training on why the tug is not to be used as a battering ram.
The guy on the tug will be appropriately rewarded, and the airplane owner would be happy if it only has to pay for a tug and golf cart. Much more likely though, the owner of the cart is thankful it doesn't now also own a broken plane.

Back