LUA Luray Caverns 10/5

Deelee

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Deelee
Heading there Saturday morning - probably getting there around 9:00. I have lived in northern VA all my life and never seen this place. Finally getting to go there. Bringing my kids on what will hopefully be their first destination flight (tried for oxb about a month ago, but daughter had an upset tummy... I ended up going there solo).

Anybody heading there or have any local tips for flying in to LUA? I'm going from HEF so this will also be my first trip over the Blue Ridge west of CSN. Planning to go at 6,500 over the hills and then descend once I get in the valley.

Anybody want to meet up? I will have the kids, but could be fun to at least meet some other folks on POA.

They'll give you a lift to the caverns I believe. Nice friendly little place.

Good plan, but watch the winds. When I was a noob, I headed to LUA, but the wind picked up from the west to about 15 g 25kts over the ridge. Got a little "sportin'", so I pulled the plug and went another day. Can get real bumpy.

Great airport. Made LUA a fuel and lunch stop on my way north this summer. Staff gave us a ride into town and picked us up at the ice cream store. Fun approach through the valley. Have fun

They'll give you a lift to the caverns I believe. Nice friendly little place.
Yes, they generally will, but good to call ahead and ask, Great, friendly place and the caverns are awesome.

It is a fairly typical airport in a valley with higher terrain, so have those skills and knowledge available.

. 69ED51D0-7612-4284-91C5-BDA4EF7D99EE.jpeg

Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely watch the winds. If they pick up too much and get gusty or too cross-windy, we will just head back. It is only 35 - 40 minutes back, so no big deal. Right now, things are forecast to be pretty good tomorrow morning, but I'll keep an eye on it for sure.
Thanks again!

@Deelee, Back in November of 2012, we flew from Ohio and had a great time! Caverns are really cool and no problem with shuttles back and forth to there and to town. Highly recommend! FromiPhone11122012117.jpg It had snowed a day or two before so we saw some white stuff on the way...FromiPhone11122012116.jpg

Thanks! Looks beautiful. Sitting here waiting for clouds to come up a bit at LUA. Once that happens we are off!

Amazing trip to LUA. Jimmy drove us to the caverns, then to town for a quick tour then to Triple Crown BBQ off rte 340 for amazing pulled pork bbq and potato salad.
Had a bit of a concern with the clouds today. We ended up going out there at 6,500' punching through a hole in the broken layer and then getting back down no problem on the other side. When we were leaving, it was straight up overcast. Ended up heading north east from LUA to FRR then over eastbound through the lower part of the hills and on to HEF. Really amazing time. Great airport. Great caverns and Jimmy from the airport was really really accommodating. We got him a bbq, topped off and I gave him some gas money for all the rides, but he still went way above and beyond.

We will be back for sure. Maybe when (if?) the leaves ever start turning colors here.

Almost Heaven West Virginia, Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River......

Took my son to the caverns today. Beautiful and otherworldly. The reflecting pools were like looking at mirrors of mercury. The Great Stalacpipe Organ was cool.
IMG_3423.jpg IMG_3424.jpg IMG_3426.jpg

Back