Would having mental health history cause any problems in being a pilot?

Come on guys, we all know that people that abuse drugs and alcohol, and people with mental issues, are very good about seeking treatment, even when rather than losing their job, they are sent to paid rehabilitation if they report it. /sarcasm (for those that can't detect sarcasm on their own)

The FAA does NOT encourage pilots to address issues they encourage the pilots to AVOID getting treatment. Once you have a medical you are actively encouraged to not see doctors, not get medication and not become healthier. That's true. Your argument literally is completely wrong and I'm surprised you chose to argue against my post when it literally received several likes from pilots who clearly get what the problem is.

Maybe a scenario will help- Pilot A develops anxiety as a result of a life event. Pilot A can manage said anxiety with medication( low dose anxiety medication) and live a normal life. Devoid of the medication, which is intended to help with the exact condition he needs help with, pilot A will continue to struggle with anxiety. Here are pilot A's options

1. Seek medical help and be forced to disclose the treatment to the FAA when it comes time to renew his medical. Likely outcomes of that are- 1. revocation of medical 2. Special issuance which requires substantial amounts of money and time
2. Avoid medical help all together and struggle with anxiety and possibly worsen but continue to fly and not have to disclose any medical conditions next time he needs to renew.

If pilot A is a professional pilot, he will almost always choose option 2. He can't risk losing his job and revocation of his medical. So let's play that out, Pilot A is forced to not seek medical treatment, is a less healthy person BUT is still flying people around! If pilot A were allowed to chose option 1, he would be a healthier person and still be permitted to fly people around. Currently the FAA without recognizing it, supports option 2, which to me, is not in anyone's best interest ( because the flying public is less safe and the pilot suffering is less healthy) thus supporting my argument that their current stance is not in the best interest of anyone.
If you suffer from a condition that makes you ineligible, whether or not you're getting treatment. So if you've got a condition and you're willing to lie about, why not get treatment off book and lie about that too? Or you could just get treated, get healthy, tell the truth, and fly if you're able. The FAA is unreasonable about some things. Hard to say that mental-health issues are one.

If you suffer from a condition that makes you ineligible, whether or not you're getting treatment. So if you've got a condition and you're willing to lie about, why not get treatment off book and lie about that too? Or you could just get treated, get healthy, tell the truth, and fly if you're able. The FAA is unreasonable about some things. Hard to say that mental-health issues are one.

And just look at what an absurd situation this post points out perfectly. In order to continue to fly without interference the pilot has to lie, hide and avoid all relating to getting help. That’s exactly my point. If that’s the best option than I’m sorry this system is very, very broken!

I'm not in this to convince you of anything but I really need to point out that you seem to want to defend the FAA for having a policy that takes away a pilot's option to freely visit doctors without having to worry about having their medical taken from them. I fail to see why you need to defend the archaic stance on medical treatment that the FAA seems to want to continue and if you can't see the unintended consequences such a policy has, than no matter how clear they are made, I don't think I'll be able to make you see how by defending the FAA you are sailing down the river anyone who may need support through a mental health issue. It just seems like you want to agree with the power system currently in place and continue the perspective of " well it's the person who has a mental health issue's fault so screw them they should suffer."

I'm certain professional pilots wrestle with these choices all the time. I'm certain many opt to keep their source of employment over their own mental, and maybe even physical health. I don't believe that's a leap on my part-- I believe that's a common sense conclusion.
Here's the bottom line: you are blaming others rather than taking responsibility for your own decisions. That's all. If you need to see a doctor, go see a doctor. Your health is more important than flying. You would rather not address the most important thing in the world - your own health - blame someone else for your decision, and then cry about it. That's your choice. Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

The FAA sets medical standards for pilots. Either you meet them or you don't. Choosing not to seek treatment so you don't have to report it is your decision and nobody else's. Take responsibility for it and stop blaming other people.

And just look at what an absurd situation this post points out perfectly. In order to continue to fly without interference the pilot has to lie, hide and avoid all relating to getting help. That’s exactly my point. If that’s the best option than I’m sorry this system is very, very broken!
Or another example that mirrors your logic: in order to rob the bank, the robber had to illegally threaten someone with a weapon and steal the money! Why not just make these things legal and then bank robbers won't have to rob banks!

If you're going to paraphrase me, get it right:
"In order to continue to fly without interference the [medically unfit] pilot has to lie, hide and avoid all relating to getting help."

I'm always perplexed by folks in this forum in particular reading into what's said. The OP denied both drug abuse and suicidal ideation.
I'm not the expert, but it seems that depending on the details, it could also be an AME issuance or SSRI path I. Depending on the details that we don't have.

The details are there - they are his medical history, which he posted. He disputes it, but his word on his medical condition means nothing compared to the medical professionals who examined him. To the FAA, SSRI use, psychatric hospital admission and suicide inclination is a medical fact. Or at least might be, which in the FAA's eyes is equivalent.

This is the reality of the aviation medical world. What is actual is irrelevant to what is documented. You must deal with the documented things regardless of whether or not the documentation is meaningful.

If you're going to paraphrase me, get it right:
"In order to continue to fly without interference the [medically unfit] pilot has to lie, hide and avoid all relating to getting help."

I think your quote says it all. You admit that you know yourself to be medically unfit.

Get medical help. As fun as flying is, I think every pilot here would ground themselves if they weren't medically qualified. That is the standard of being part of the pilot community.

It is not OK to lie, there is too much at stake. Period. Live up to that or get out.

But the pilot doesn’t have to lie. It’s like pilots not wanting to declare an emergency because of some perceived repercussions. Honesty doesn’t necessarily mean an unpleasant outcome.

Just because someone marks “no” on Medexpress doesn’t mean they require an SI. Just because someone has an SI, doesn’t mean they lose their job. I know plenty of old EMS pilots flying on an SI. Frankly, I’ve met some that there isn’t a chance in hell of me getting in the back of their aircraft either but I digress.

Too many pilots think that they know themselves when it comes what’s medically safe. Unfortunately the urge to fly and the need for a job sometimes overrides common sense. There are those who don’t have the mental stability to be in the cockpit flying pax and prescription drugs shouldn’t be the answer. It’s no different than a healthy pilot who Is experiencing anxiety because of family problems. If they’re not mentally with it because they’re bringing that “baggage” to the cockpit, then they shouldn’t be flying either.

Yes, there’s red tape in the medical SI process, but from what I’ve read from the POA docs, they’re still pushing people thru the system with PTSD, heart conditions, criminal records, etc. It can be done.

Here's the bottom line: you are blaming others rather than taking responsibility for your own decisions. That's all. If you need to see a doctor, go see a doctor. Your health is more important than flying. You would rather not address the most important thing in the world - your own health - blame someone else for your decision, and then cry about it. That's your choice. Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

The FAA sets medical standards for pilots. Either you meet them or you don't. Choosing not to seek treatment so you don't have to report it is your decision and nobody else's. Take responsibility for it and stop blaming other people.

First off my medical history is not the reason why this thread was started so not sure why you are going after me like I’m hiding something. I’ve been fortunate and been healthy during my time as a pilot— but plenty other people are faced with less healthy situations!

What I still don’t think you understand or want to realize is that the FAA discourages pilots from getting medical treatment or take prescription medication because that pilot than has to defend those actions when their medical comes due. That’s my entire point. Prescription medications and doctor visits and therapy for mental illness should all be viewed as “POSITIVE” steps towards proactively helping the person who needs that. By forcing pilots to justify their actions and then jump trough hopes to keep their medical by taking appropriate actions is counter intuitive and just plan wrong! I won’t be convinced otherwise. I can’t think of any other example where taking proactive measures to improve ones health is viewed so negatively. I can’t think of any other situation where taking FDA approved drugs designed to improve a person’s life is viewed with such conservatism as the FAA does. Their policies on these issues is so outdated it’s absurd.

You ask me to conflate two unrelated issues to help make your point. Personal health related decisions are of course more important than flying( especially recreationally) and I’m sure pilots make the choice to look after their health before avoiding their health issues. That’s an obvious argument— but that is separate from the ramifications of making that choice. The pilot is PUNISHED for making the correct choice and looking after their own health. You can’t just ignore part two of that decision to “look after your own health” because you want us all to think that, “of course people look after their own health so it’s stupid to think people may try and prioritize anything over that.” That’s a total conflation of two very different arguments! My entire point is the FAA should want the healthiest possible pilot population out there and their current system does not align with that mission. Not all mental illness is the same and not all levels of mental illness can be treated the same way. The case by case system makes some sense in this way but runs counter to the belief that every individual should be trusted to make the best decision they can make. You seem to be a huge supporter of huge government instotitions making sweeping policies that don’t really even make sense and I’m just not.

Your arguement about the gun and the robber is so absurd I’m not even going to go into that. A robber makes the wrong choice by robbing a store and taking a gun- to say that’s even close to a pilot who wants to seek out medical help but is forced to make a tough choice is just patently offensive to anyone who actually is in that very real situation.

Last edited:
German Wings and Egypt Air are the two airliner yardsticks, but there certainly have been quite a number of light plane suicides either where the guy just took himself out or flew the plane into something else (the IRS, his ex's house, etc.. )in the process.

What I still don’t think you understand or want to realize is that the FAA discourages pilots from getting medical treatment or take prescription medication because that pilot than has to defend those actions when their medical comes due.

While the results are unlikely to be accurate, back when a driver's-license medical for private pilots was proposed in Congress, I posted a poll whose results at least suggested that a significant percentage of pilots would be likely to consult a doctor about health issues more often if the bill passed.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...-affect-how-often-you-consult-a-doctor.67412/

I think it's important to acknowledge, however, that this is an unintended consequence.

One thing that has always troubled me is the FAA's apparent belief that they can evaluate a pilot's fitness to fly from hundreds or thousands of miles away.

German Wings and Egypt Air are the two airliner yardsticks, but there certainly have been quite a number of light plane suicides either where the guy just took himself out or flew the plane into something else (the IRS, his ex's house, etc.. )in the process.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of statistics on suicidal flying by pilots who have medical certificates vs. pilots who are not required to. I doubt that such statistics are available, however.

I think your quote says it all. You admit that you know yourself to be medically unfit.

Get medical help. As fun as flying is, I think every pilot here would ground themselves if they weren't medically qualified. That is the standard of being part of the pilot community.

It is not OK to lie, there is too much at stake. Period. Live up to that or get out.
You seem to be confused about what I wrote. I hold a current class 2 medical.

Not to derail a good rant, but I’m personally aware of someone flying air carrier sized aircraft who sought help for a mental health issue, and his company AND the FAA worked with him to continue to fly. To the best of my knowledge, drugs included.

Hate to say it but the quality of your employer does matter in this regard. The big companies have programs, and work with their staff. Many that do are unionized, for better or worse.

Not happening at the low end of the biz, though. It’s very expensive at a place that can’t afford to assist.

His company was smart enough to know they didn’t want to lose a senior pilot and Captain. Not all have the money or pilot groups big enough to soak up the time off needed.

They earned his loyalty to the company for life in return. He loves the company and actively recruits in today’s difficult pilot hiring environment for them constantly.

And by constantly I mean he keeps track of 20-30 younger pilots and mentors them nearly daily while hoping he can recommend them to his employer someday when they have the appropriate experience.

I met him after this all went down and I suspect after he got the help he needed, his naturally positive personality came back and people remembered that from before and now it’s back. Attitude counts. I’m also guessing he was a train wreck when he was going through it.

Navigating the FAA medical bureaucracy, if you have issues, may be expensive, full of redundancies, and is grossly inefficient. But at least it's slow and illogical.

It doesn't exist to aid a pilot (or wannabe pilot) in getting a medical - it exists to cover the FAA's butt and to sustain the FAA medical bureaucracy. That it may also serve the published purpose, to ensure fitness to fly, is a happy coincidence.

All that said, even a died-in-the wool FAA basher such as myself will admit they (FAA) have nothing they can rely on for decision making other than the documented medical evidence. And the OP is in a tough spot - they (FAA) are gonna require a lot of evaluation and testing (probably an inordinate amount). Bite the bullet, start the process, write the checks, and slog your way through it.

And I thought having OSA and needing to use a CPAP machine was a big deal.

Best of luck to you OP, and get an honest medical consultation before thinking about applying for a medical. If it’s a non-starter or a long slog, then seriously consider training in a LSA to Private Pilot ‍✈️ license standards. Then, when you can get a 3rd class medical, you won’t have to repeat anything.

Sadly the only mental health assistance a pilot can get is the kind that comes in a bottle.

Back