Salty
anything that meets this?

• High wing
  • Experimental
  • 4 seat
  • Min 900 lb useful
  • Min 500 mile range
  • Min 120 knots cruise

I forgot to add Compair although I don't think it's in production anymore so you'd have to find a used one.

Why the high-wing requirement? Are you planning to operate off-airport?

So the Mooney is about to get put up for sale?
Maybe. She dislikes change, so keeping the mooney is fine, but I'm debating the value of pumping a bunch of money into avionics for it vs buying something that already has what I want plus keeps her comfortable. She already has trouble getting into the Mooney, though she won't admit it, it's only a matter of time until she decides she doesn't want to go...

I don't have time to build, and while I didn't put a budget, it's probably around $150k which rules out new stuff like the glasair.

I'll probably end up with a 182, but I'd really rather have an experimental.

If you aren't going to build (meaning buying used) and since the pool of available designs is small (meaning few examples up for sale at any given time) I'd recommend dropping the experimental criteria and just get a nice 182 or perhaps a Cardinal.

If you aren't going to build (meaning buying used) and since the pool of available designs is small (meaning few examples up for sale at any given time) I'd recommend dropping the experimental criteria and just get a nice 182 or perhaps a Cardinal.
That's the conclusion I was coming to, that's why I started the thread to see if I was missing anything.

Bede BD-4?

1150lbs useful load
198mph cruise
High wing
4 seat
900 mile range
Experimental

Seems to check all the boxes.

A RV10 would meet what you want and be the best performer. Is not that hard to get into with the gull doors. It’s going to be a bit above your price range but far cheaper for maintenance and conditionals.

The wife doesn't want to climb on a wing to get in.

How about a Velocity?
Specs for the XL:
1000 lbs useful load
Cruise: 240mph
Range: 1150 miles
4 seat
Experimental
Don't have to climb on wing to enter

How about a Velocity?
Specs for the XL:
1000 lbs useful load
Cruise: 240mph
Range: 1150 miles
4 seat
Experimental
Don't have to climb on wing to enter
I would think that would be more difficult not less. I’d love a velocity but I don’t think it’s easy to get in.

I would think that would be more difficult not less. I’d love a velocity but I don’t think it’s easy to get in.

Actually the gull-wing Velocity is the easiest aircraft I’ve ever gotten in / out of. It’s equivalent to getting in an SUV.

I don’t know why I was thinking entry was like an EZ. Now I just have to find one I can afford.

If you can hold out until next year, you can build a Sling TSi, High Wing. Same stats, as the Sling TSi, maybe a knot or two slower.

If you can hold out until next year, you can build a Sling TSi, High Wing. Same stats, as the Sling TSi, maybe a knot or two slower.
Not for my budget, and it’d be holding out longer than that to build it.

I don’t know why I was thinking entry was like an EZ. Now I just have to find one I can afford.

You wouldn’t need an XL though. No point in spending well over 6 figures if you don’t require the extra room and speed. You could get a nice used gull wing door SE for around $75K and do 180Kts, 1000 useful, 1000 miles.

Last edited:
You wouldn’t need an XL though. No point in spending well over 6 figures if you don’t require the extra room and speed. You could get a nice used full wing SE for around $75K and do 180Kts, 1000 useful, 1000 miles.
Where? I’m not finding any for sale.

Back