Hey young people, tell us what you can do!

Interesting that you bring up Doctor of Physical therapy. That illustrates part of the problem . We've had PTs for decades who had no more than a 2 year diploma. Now you need a doctorate. Were the old PTs so inadequate and incompetent? Did their patients demand that things would be so much better if their PT had only spent 6 more years in school? I don't think so. When people spend a large portion of their formative years in a classroom, something else has to give. I say that in all seriousness and as someone teaching at a higher education level. Some of my best students have been those who have done things outside of academics, but the system has changed to block those people from getting professional careers.
That is true. And when I was young, a mechanic could get most cars to run better by gapping the points using a matchbook cover and gapping the spark plugs with a folded over matchbook cover.

Our bodies haven't changed as much as cars have, but our knowledge of them has, and it is all that extra knowledge that is needed is why DPTs are in demand. DPTs don't just help you walk using parallel bars any more. But my point in using him for the example was that even though he was spending all that time in the classroom, he was also out in the world using his hands and building things. He did some work for me and it looks amazing.

I can shave with a knife that I sharpened myself like Crocodile Dundee! On a boat, no less. Got tired of facial hair on a trip, no razor on board, improvised.

Beat that you old farts!

Ok, so basically what I’ve gotten from this thread is that today’s youth is far more intelligent and industrious as the old farts???

Ok, so basically what I’ve gotten from this thread is that today’s youth is far more intelligent and industrious as the old farts???

I wouldn't say that. You all did invent breast implants and for that I say a hearty thanks. You could have stopped there, but no, you kept on going.

I don't think our generation will top breast implants.

I wouldn't say that. You all did invent breast implants and for that I say a hearty thanks. You could have stopped there, but no, you kept on going.

I don't think our generation will top breast implants.

Man, that was an awesome invention. A bit before my time though. All my generation did was found companies like Google, Amazon, You Tube and Wikipedia. I’d trade all those BS accomplishments for a perfect rack any day.

I've had near aneurysms watching someone try to save an attachment off an email, schedule a meeting, or understand how "email" works and being what "on line" is. Some millennial may not be able to change a tire, but at least they can competently use a piece of technology, like CTRL F on a PDF, and can manage to not wire their entire retirement to a Nigerian price

CTRL F on a pdf only works if it was published, or you get a REALLY good scan and the OCR does it's thing. Just had to go through a 70 page PDF that was scanned in, and CTRL F didn't work. Well the pop up box worked, but it couldn't find even a single letter.

And you BOTH know that Adobe’s file format is an utter pile of crap, but a scanned image is just an image inside their crap container at that point and not a “real” PDF.

We have a server here chock full of “PDFs” that all they were was a TIFF from a flipping fax machine because the medical industry is stuck in the past by HIPAA pretending faxes are secure while actual data needs half a million worth of fake “security” surrounding sending and receiving it from another business entity.

I’d bet the majority of ‘kids’ that hang out on a GA message board aren’t likely to fit the millennial stereotype anyway. :)

They’re over on Slack and Discord. What’s a message board? :)

Can’t drive a manual but I do butter my own bagel.

Should learn just for fun. You’d like.

I’m too old to answer the questions but like most others I think the younger folk are doing fine. I’m the oldest of all the cousins and they’re all doing cool stuff. Half-sister just wrapped up that NASA rebuild of the Apollo control room after three years.

I’m sure all my mentors in IT and telecom hated my lack of detail back when I was learning it, too. Now I’m the old guy who rants at the youngsters that if they had just planned the project a little better... save us all a lot of grief.

But they pay me to fix those mistakes now, like they paid my mentors... lol. Yay for sloppy work. Keeps me employed. :)

Hi my name is overdrive148, I am good at baking and computers and drones and bad at parenting

You’ve been a parent for all of 2 weeks. You can’t gauge anything during that short of span. Write us back in 18 years and if she doesn’t have a scholarship to Harvard, then we’ll tell you that you suck at parenting.

What I've gotten out of this thread is that there are some crappy young people and some great young people.
But if I were to say what I really think the problem is, I would probably be banned again. Suffice to say, if you don't challenge kids, they will never rise to the challenge.

And if I ever think that young people aren't as capable as older people were, then I just have to think about people like @Ted DuPuis or @Katamarino or @overdrive148. Those people prove we are not lost yet. And they are not alone. And I'd also like to hear more from @bnt83

But then again, THEY didn't invent breast implants!

But then again, THEY didn't invent breast implants!

Beast implants. That is what someone needs to invent. The male equivalent. I'd buy a pair for a dollar.

Hi my name is overdrive148, I am good at baking and computers and drones and bad at parenting

None of us know if we’re truly bad at parenting until the kids grow up.

And if you never feel like you’re screwing up as a parent, then you probably actually are a bad parent. So sounds to me like you’re doing just fine.

nd if I ever think that young people aren't as capable as older people were, then I just have to think about people like @Ted DuPuis or @Katamarino or @overdrive148. Those people prove we are not lost yet. And they are not alone. And I'd also like to hear more from @bnt83

But then again, THEY didn't invent breast implants

Imagine if @Ted DuPuis DID invent breast implants and started one of his "thinking about it" threads to get our input.

I can see the thread title, "Thinking about bigger boobies."

Imagine if @Ted DuPuis DID invent breast implants and started one of his "thinking about it" threads to get our input.

I can see the thread title, "Thinking about bigger boobies."

Being in my mid 30s I am starting to notice fat accumulating in places it didn’t before. Granted I am still thin, but I do notice the change.

Me: “I should eat healthier”

Also me:

upload_2019-10-2_20-14-46.gif

"around 40" - I'm still 41 for a few more days, do I count? :D
Yeah, I'd say you are still young. You haven't reached your peak earning years yet so you still have some upward mobility left, if you have it in you.
@SixPapaCharlie is around your age (I think) and he just fixed a hose! Miracles can happen.

We have become soft. It's shameful

Life fixes that for many who thought it would be easy.

I don’t think my younger cousin thought he’d end up a firefighter at a refinery, or that he’d have to essentially gut his house and rebuild the interior three times from flooding, but he’s working on rebuild number three.

That said, he’s never been one to shirk hard work even when he was little, but he definitely qualifies as part of the age group picked for this thread...

Life ain’t fair but the vast majority figure that out in spades by 40 and if they want to get stuff done, they just do it.

I think some of the millennial “stigma” of being lazy or what-not simply came from them graduating and hitting adulthood during a recession. Older folks always say kids are “lazy” when they don’t have jobs.

Most of them have jobs, houses, kids, bills, and plenty of “real life” now and have had for a while. They’ll be yelling at the younger folk in whatever we label the generation behind them soon, to get off their lawns. LOL.

I think some of the millennial “stigma” of being lazy or what-not simply came from them graduating and hitting adulthood during a recession. Older folks always say kids are “lazy” when they don’t have jobs.
There is a lot of truth in that statement.

Yeah, I'd say you are still young. You haven't reached your peak earning years yet so you still have some upward mobility left, if you have it in you.
@SixPapaCharlie is around your age (I think) and he just fixed a hose! Miracles can happen.
I appreciate the sentiment but I think I had to turn in my "I'm one of the young ones" card when I became a Fighter Squadron Commander 2 years ago. :| That's ok, I'm enjoying being one of the "seasoned" folks - I retire (from the USAF) in less than a year! Then back to Delta - so definitely upward mobility as far as earning!

I appreciate the sentiment but I think I had to turn in my "I'm one of the young ones" card when I became a Fighter Squadron Commander 2 years ago. :| That's ok, I'm enjoying being one of the "seasoned" folks - I retire (from the USAF) in less than a year! Then back to Delta - so definitely upward mobility as far as earning!

Also the fact that young and old mean different things in the war fighting game than in civilian life. :)

You’re the crusty old guy in a fighter squadron at 40 and only a little over halfway through a career anywhere else.

I appreciate the sentiment but I think I had to turn in my "I'm one of the young ones" card when I became a Fighter Squadron Commander 2 years ago. :| That's ok, I'm enjoying being one of the "seasoned" folks - I retire (from the USAF) in less than a year!

Yeah but can you drive a stick shift???

Oh speaking of F-15s. I was at an air show at Robins over the weekend and they opened the show with a sonic boom at FL400. They’ve got the first F-15A in their Museum. Was an old “Jazz” bird as well.

AA857766-7717-4EFF-9DB0-A1A6F868DFB9.jpeg DD259599-994A-4FED-8CD8-661BF8654EF9.jpeg

Too old for the poll; what I miss about my time
In the military is being able to tell a kid to go figure out how to complete the mission with whatever their favorite piece of gear and the backup to that being inop, unavailable, or denied.

In other news, the surface level stuff is cool to brag about, reality is that it all comes down to the ability to learn and the ability to apply critical thinking skills.

Who cares if you calculate pi to the nth decimal on a slide rule if the problem is to solve is building effective altruism? That requires adaptation of root level knowledge and skills to be applied in a non-traditional manner.

My young brethren are letting me down. I was hoping some young, hotshot doctor was going to come on here and say he could open your chest, remove your heart and replace it with a donor heart. It seems we are doomed unless some of us youngsters start learning how to replace our failing organs. If my family history holds true, I'll be needing a new ticker in a few decades. If people keep sueing doctors for nonsense we won't have enough ticker replacers in the future.
I have a friend that can do that with your brain (ok not quite replace.... ;) ). He is in his 30's.

I'm 41 so may not quite qualify anymore.

I have gutted 2 kitchens and rebuilt them.
I can swap a toilet in minutes.
Eagle Scout
Pilot
Pretty savvy investor that beats the market most years
I believe in giving generously to charity
Not a wrencher, but I am an accountant that can read engineering drawings and do pretty well at telling you how many cores a casting will need after seeing the drawing and 3D model.
I can drive a stick if you force me to.
I play cello decently and can play piano.
Pretty decent researcher for family history.
Not fluent in German by any means, but can actually read the old German script that Germans can't read anymore.
Can diagnose (and fix) most IT issues, although as I get older I am getting rusty.
Cherry on top.....I went to high school with Beyonce.

Boom. :rockon:

Okay okay, new parent not bad parent

Parents like my in-laws set the bar really low.

Don't steal your kid's stuff and sell it to pay your bills. Don't blame your 15 year kid for a crime you committed and have them arrested because they're only a minor and it won't stay on they're record. Don't manipulate your child into paying your bills because you fed them when they were younger and they owe you for that. Don't lie about everything.

You get the idea, just be a good person, teach them to be a good person.

You got this!

Back