Dynon D180

LJ470

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LJ470
What are people's thoughts on the Dynon D180?
Still a good display?

Will it work with Garmin pilot?
Will it work/communicate with a Garmin transponder (GTX)?

Thanks!

D180 is a fine product. I fly behind a D100. Same eFIS without the EMS. Have considered swapping up many times.

My D100 is the altitude encoder for my GTX327. I'm switching to a GTX330ES so the GNS430W will be my gps position source and the D100 will still be the encoder.

I'm not aware of integration between legacy Dynon boxes and handhelds.

The D180 is a good instrument. It is only for experimental aircraft. It will not do anything with Garmin Pilot, but it will output an RS232 altitude encoder format that the GTX327 will read.

Lots of RV-12s (mine included) use the D180 with a Garmin GTX 327 and a GPS. If considering a D180, just make sure it has the "superbright" screen. It was standard after some date/serial number, available as an upgrade prior to that. No integration with any software, period -- not that there would be; there's no map display, for one thing. As noted by @Jesse Saint , it will spit serial altitude data to the transponder.

You'll need a GPS to use the HSI and autopilot, and to get wind speed and direction displayed. It can receive serial NMEA GPS data from Garmin GPS receivers, as well as most others, I imagine (iFly GPS for sure).

Back