Would having mental health history cause any problems in being a pilot?

No one here knows what the OP has or hasn't been diagnosed with, so all the pronouncements of what he's going to be and to do an what it will cost are just speculation.
are we going to go by the assumption that the OP is telling the whole truth? Because that’s what I’ve been doing. He says he was prescribed anti depressants and anti anxiety medications.

Do you really think he was prescribed these medications without a diagnosis? The odds of that are pretty close to 0.

are we going to go by the assumption that the OP is telling the whole truth? Because that’s what I’ve been doing. He says he was prescribed anti depressants and anti anxiety medications.

Do you really think he was prescribed these medications without a diagnosis? The odds of that are pretty close to 0.
Have you ever been to a university’s health and counseling clinic? They’ll literally prescribe you anything without even a proper diagnoses. I also requested medical records from them and it doesn’t have depression in the diagnoses. They didn’t even diagnose me with anything.

If you smell a troll, don't reply. I don't know why this is so hard. His story is completely plausible, and he deserves an answer or to be left alone. Some of these replies are trolling. Its awful.

Have you ever been to a university’s health and counseling clinic? They’ll literally prescribe you anything without even a proper diagnoses. I also requested medical records from them and it doesn’t have depression in the diagnoses. They didn’t even diagnose me with anything.
I would not bet on that. Not a dollar. You may not have seen it, you may not be able to get it, but I would bet every time that they diagnosed you before dispensing you medication. You don't generally see the diagnosis, it goes to the insurance companies and into their records in case the feds come after them.

:yeahthat:

Those prescriptions you had are in a database. That database can be searched by the FAA, and it will be when you seek a medical certificate with this stuff in your history. That database will have a diagnosis associated with the prescriptions.

Diagnoses are numeric codes, and may not appear in the text.

Personally I think the only issues that will really stop an aspiring pilot are financial. I suspect with sufficient funds one can overcome any obstacles.

If they prescribed you something, there was a diagnosis.

Yep, not only would they not prescribe without a diagnosis, despite what they tell the students about the mental health access being free (to them), they will at least attempt to bill the student's insurance plan (whatever that is), and they'll need to come up with a code for that as well.

Besides, the FAA will assume if you are prescribed a psychiatric drug, there is a diagnosis there anyhow.

Personally I think the only issues that will really stop an aspiring pilot are financial. I suspect with sufficient funds one can overcome any obstacles.

Mostly true. But obstacle #1 is getting healthy.

The OP needs to deal with that first, before worrying about AMEs and MedExpress and special issuances and all the other FAA hurdles.

Lots of well meant advice with only a smattering of snark, refreshing.

Your smartest and least painful (to self and pocketbook) way to proceed is talk with Dr Chein (sp?) or Fowler and engage their services. Do not go to ANY AME until one of those two guys gives you appropriate guidance. Make things easy instead of hard.

Update: The provider said he did diagnose me. Guess it’s going to be a long, expensive journey to get the certification.

Would a light sports license at least allow me to fly for a hobby?

I believe he wrote that he was diagnosed with situational depression.

Yes it would. There are many very capable light sport aircraft. You will be able to carry a passenger and fly daytime VFR anywhere in the US and the Bahamas. Not too shabby. Plus all sport training counts toward your private ticket if and when you’re ready to upgrade.

BUT... Deal with your health FIRST. Please. This activity can kill you, kill your passenger, kill people on the ground. You must be clear-headed, quick-thinking, and have sound judgement. Just because you can fly without a medical doesn’t mean you should.

You have had some issues that should, for now, preclude flying. Set flight lessons aside for a while and give yourself time for treatment and recovery. Flying can wait. The sky isn’t going anywhere.

I don’t have any advice for the OP but I will go on record as saying the way the FAA handles mental health issues is literally criminal and so out dated. I’ll go as far as to say it is bordering on abusive. If you are a professional pilot or even any pilot, the FAA would rather you never go seek help, never take medication that could help you and never allow you to improve your life— so that you can continue to fly. ... hmmm yeah let’s put depressed pilots who may be totally fine taking some medication to help, in charge of airliners... This sounds similar to the FAA’s stance on taking anything that might help a pilot sleep— nope can’t do that either because you know these pills may cause drowsiness. Well I can guarantee one thing, not sleeping will cause drowsiness!!

This is an issue every single pilot should be fighting against. Some people never think they will suffer from a bout of depression or anxiety but that’s just not true and for us pilots to have to suffer unfairly and “hide” from the doctors or the process is literally absurd!

If you meet the medical requirements for a driver's license, hold a valid driver's license, and are able to fly safely, then the answer is yes.

Throughout life my stutter affected me in a negative way and people would treat me horribly. Due to that, I always felt sort of depressed/sad. I felt alone and felt like my dreams were unreachable because of my speech impediment. But an year ago, I started meeting other people who also stutter, started speech therapy, and also psychotherapy because I had a lot of baggage that I needed to “unpack” and I didn’t have anyone else to talk to. I also struggled with being gay and since I was brought up in a homophobic household (and all of my friends are homophobic as well), I have been forced to be in the closet and it proved to be a very depressing experience. Talking to this psychotherapist was my only option because he was the only “unconditional fatherely love” giving man that I could ever have in my life. After about 1-2 days of therapy with him, he suggested/talked me in to seeing a psychiatrist so he could prescribe me antidepressants and anxiety pills. I took the pills for about a week or less but stopped it because I was feeling great after just talk therapy. All I wanted was just talk therapy, but it felt like they wanted to try out the medication(s) on me to “treat” me faster. I continued seeing the psychotherapist for a few months and I felt great about everything in my life. Then I started dating this older man and come to find out that he was playing with my feelings and “ghosted” me.
Wow... sorry you went through all that! I am in now way qualified to give any kind of medical advice, but my gut is telling me that the anti depressants, anxiety meds, and especially the "suicide gesture" will make the road, if not impossible, very difficult

If aviation is a passion though, there are other ways to be involved with it that don't involve flying commercial jets.. many of the other posters seemed to have some good ideas

I don’t have any advice for the OP but I will go on record as saying the way the FAA handles mental health issues is literally criminal and so out dated. I’ll go as far as to say it is bordering on abusive. If you are a professional pilot or even any pilot, the FAA would rather you never go seek help, never take medication that could help you and never allow you to improve your life— so that you can continue to fly. ... hmmm yeah let’s put depressed pilots who may be totally fine taking some medication to help, in charge of airliners... This sounds similar to the FAA’s stance on taking anything that might help a pilot sleep— nope can’t do that either because you know these pills may cause drowsiness. Well I can guarantee one thing, not sleeping will cause drowsiness!!
So... I was about to disagree with you that keeping someone with any kind of suicidal ideation or anxiety out of the cockpit is probably a good thing. When the crap hits the fan you want someone up there with a clear level head. BUT THEN, I found myself agreeing with you.. that the current FAA medical paradigm discourages you from, honestly, seeking any kind of medical advice or help. I still think there are people that probably shouldn't be flying (at least not commercial jets with hundreds of lives in their hands) but the paradigm does need to change so that people with health conditions seek and get the help they need.. after all, if you're dead you won't be flying much anyway!

Wow... sorry you went through all that! I am in now way qualified to give any kind of medical advice, but my gut is telling me that the anti depressants, anxiety meds, and especially the "suicide gesture" will make the road, if not impossible, very difficult

If aviation is a passion though, there are other ways to be involved with it that don't involve flying commercial jets.. many of the other posters seemed to have some good ideas

So... I was about to disagree with you that keeping someone with any kind of suicidal ideation or anxiety out of the cockpit is probably a good thing. When the crap hits the fan you want someone up there with a clear level head. BUT THEN, I found myself agreeing with you.. that the current FAA medical paradigm discourages you from, honestly, seeking any kind of medical advice or help. I still think there are people that probably shouldn't be flying (at least not commercial jets with hundreds of lives in their hands) but the paradigm does need to change so that people with health conditions seek and get the help they need.. after all, if you're dead you won't be flying much anyway!

YES!!!! This is a really important issue to me because I don't understand the criminilization of health issues the FAA seems to support. If you have even one health related problem, currently the easiest course of action is to hide from the FAA and not let doctors treat you. Certainly if it is mental health issues that is the case. I think the FAA is so outdated on their stance that it is sickening. But why are we surprised that a governmental agency takes outdated approaches to mental health issues when most of our criminial justice system is punishing people for having mental health issues when we should be treating them. I'm not trying to make this political but the OP's story is a perfect example of a person who had issues in their life, struggled but did the right thing and got help...and now is being punished for it. It bothers me to no end!

YES!!!! This is a really important issue to me because I don't understand the criminilization of health issues the FAA seems to support. If you have even one health related problem, currently the easiest course of action is to hide from the FAA and not let doctors treat you. Certainly if it is mental health issues that is the case. I think the FAA is so outdated on their stance that it is sickening. But why are we surprised that a governmental agency takes outdated approaches to mental health issues when most of our criminial justice system is punishing people for having mental health issues when we should be treating them. I'm not trying to make this political but the OP's story is a perfect example of a person who had issues in their life, struggled but did the right thing and got help...and now is being punished for it. It bothers me to no end!
The problem is bigger than that, not that I disagree with what you said in any way. Getting proper treatment for any mental illness is just about impossible. Part of that is because it's still more of an art than a science. I have someone very close to me that has extensive issues, and I've tried to assist getting them the appropriate help, and it's just difficult. So many practitioners just want to throw medications at the problem. Like the OP says, they are diagnosed with a serious mental illness in a 10 minute visit. Talk about insane. Any mental illness diagnosis requires intimate understanding of the patient. That NEVER happens in our system. Even a worst case scenario where someone acts out on suicide or substance abuse for example, the actual causes are very difficult to determine. I know someone that was diagnosed as bi-polar for 15 years and given every drug under the sun to try to treat it. A couple years ago they switched doctors (not the first time) and the new doc says "you're not bi-polar" and took them off all the meds, and put them on one simple med. The change was astounding.

The TL;DR version:
Yes, the FAA punishes anyone that seeks treatment and that's dumb. That's not just mental health, but any health issue. But, I don't have much faith in any doctor to know if a person is likely to have another mental breakdown, so I can understand taking a very conservative approach to the problem.

The problem is bigger than that, not that I disagree with what you said in any way. Getting proper treatment for any mental illness is just about impossible. Part of that is because it's still more of an art than a science. I have someone very close to me that has extensive issues, and I've tried to assist getting them the appropriate help, and it's just difficult. So many practitioners just want to throw medications at the problem. Like the OP says, they are diagnosed with a serious mental illness in a 10 minute visit. Talk about insane. Any mental illness diagnosis requires intimate understanding of the patient. That NEVER happens in our system. Even a worst case scenario where someone acts out on suicide or substance abuse for example, the actual causes are very difficult to determine. I know someone that was diagnosed as bi-polar for 15 years and given every drug under the sun to try to treat it. A couple years ago they switched doctors (not the first time) and the new doc says "you're not bi-polar" and took them off all the meds, and put them on one simple med. The change was astounding.

The TL;DR version:
Yes, the FAA punishes anyone that seeks treatment and that's dumb. That's not just mental health, but any health issue. But, I don't have much faith in any doctor to know if a person is likely to have another mental breakdown, so I can understand taking a very conservative approach to the problem.

Agreed.

Part of the problem is that mental illnesses can't be diagnosed with a blood test or an MRI. Couple that with the fact that not every anti-depressant works the same way on every patient, and you get a situation where docs are experimenting out of necessity, trying to find what's most effective with manageable side effects.

they are diagnosed with a serious mental illness in a 10 minute visit

It took over 20 years before someone finally diagnosed and started treating someone that was once close to me. Although part of the problem is she was treating herself. She also won't listen to doctors, and when she was on a good treatment, she stopped it because she believed she was cured.

Yeah for some reason mental health issues are seen as *your problem* like it's some kind of personal fault that the individual caused. Sure certain factors are at least partially self inflicted.. but many are not. OCD, anxiety, etc., many of these are a condition that the end user has no control over. I have a lot of friends who work in the mental health field and it's not as easy as "just get over it" -

I think part of the issue is the FAA doesn't really have a clear way or path of handling these that's readily evident... so people get scared and take the path of least resistance, which is to not do or say anything. If there was a clear process or flow that people could follow that would help. But from the, if not daily than weekly threads here, we can see that it is daunting

I also think having to disclose every doctor's visit is absurd.. I've never had an AME actually do anything with that information "gee, I see two years ago you had a cold and went to the doctor" - BFD. It does nothing but, you are right, but make it seem like seeing a doctor is some kind of criminal auto-disqualifier by forcing all disclosures. I also don't really get how disclosing your full health records to a gov entity is not a HIPAA violation. But I digress, now I'm ranting!

PS, there are other high risk fields that don't have nearly the kind of (if any) medical scrutiny. We don't worry if a doctor is overworked and has been on call for 42 hrs straight.. plus many other examples

The TL;DR version:
Outside of the German Wings suicide flight.. do we have any data on how many accidents are caused by health issues.. and would we be able to infer from that how relatively successful (or not) our current medical process is?

Yeah for some reason mental health issues are seen as *your problem* like it's some kind of personal fault that the individual caused. Sure certain factors are at least partially self inflicted.. but many are not. OCD, anxiety, etc., many of these are a condition that the end user has no control over. I have a lot of friends who work in the mental health field and it's not as easy as "just get over it" -

I think part of the issue is the FAA doesn't really have a clear way or path of handling these that's readily evident... so people get scared and take the path of least resistance, which is to not do or say anything. If there was a clear process or flow that people could follow that would help. But from the, if not daily than weekly threads here, we can see that it is daunting

I also think having to disclose every doctor's visit is absurd.. I've never had an AME actually do anything with that information "gee, I see two years ago you had a cold and went to the doctor" - BFD. It does nothing but, you are right, but make it seem like seeing a doctor is some kind of criminal auto-disqualifier by forcing all disclosures. I also don't really get how disclosing your full health records to a gov entity is not a HIPAA violation. But I digress, now I'm ranting!

PS, there are other high risk fields that don't have nearly the kind of (if any) medical scrutiny. We don't worry if a doctor is overworked and has been on call for 42 hrs straight.. plus many other examples

Your point about a doctor working insane hours without any issue but pilots can't see that same doctor is so important and true. The truck driver driving can't operate for more than like 12 hours a day but the doctor can literally operate on a person after pulling a double shift... go figure that out! I've thought many times about penning a letter to my representative about this issue. It just seems like such an obvious need for a change.

But it wasn’t a suicide attempt... I had no plan to take my life. EMS put it down as a suicide attempt but the ER and psychiatric hospital classified it as just a stressful, etc event. I incredibly regret that incident. After talk therapy, coming out to the therapist, accepting myself and my stutter, I’ve been feeling great. I was never diagnosed with clinical depression. It was all situational. I grew up in a bad, lower class neighborhood where all of my peers were out to get each other. My stutter was obvious and I was an easy target. Also, I was raised in a homophobic setting. It feels terrible to be in the closet and have people around you constantly say homophobic things. I always feared being disowned by my family and friends. If I didn’t have any of those problems in life, life wouldn’t have been like this. And again, the psychologist and psychiatric never diagnosed me with depression. They said it themselves that I don’t have clinical depression. Yet they wanted me to test out the meds to “prove” their diagnoses. I wish I would’ve refused to see the psychiatrist.
I’m finishing up university now and things are looking up. I don’t feel depressed at all now. It was all situational.

You keep saying it was "situational". Well, what if you have a "situation" while flying? Will it bring up a non-constructive way of dealing with it? Will you panic, and freeze, if the engine quits? Or if you get momentarily lost? Not saying you will not handle a "situation" well, if it occurs. Just saying it may be something to be aware of. Maybe you'll be fine. I'm no doctor, so take it all with a grain of salt. Glad things are going well for you now. I hope you can, and will, continue that way. Good luck!

I don’t have any advice for the OP but I will go on record as saying the way the FAA handles mental health issues is literally criminal and so out dated. I’ll go as far as to say it is bordering on abusive. If you are a professional pilot or even any pilot, the FAA would rather you never go seek help, never take medication that could help you and never allow you to improve your life—

Complete and total, 100% nonsense. It is YOUR decision to avoid medical treatment so that you can continue to fly, not the FAA's. If you have a medical condition and you decide to forego treatment so you can continue flying, that's on you, not the FAA. Sorry.

Outside of the German Wings suicide flight.. do we have any data on how many accidents are caused by health issues.. and would we be able to infer from that how relatively successful (or not) our current medical process is?
Here's the thing: there are two ways of looking at data such as this. You can reasonably say, hey, we're not seeing accidents caused by mental health issues, so we don't need the regulations. Or you can say we're not seeing accidents caused by mental health issues, therefore the regulations are working. I tend toward the latter, particularly given the fact that the only way the Germanwigs pilot got a medical certificate was because of strong medical privacy protections in Germany.

I'm sorry, but being able to fly is not a right, and some people who want to will not be allowed to do so. Some people will get screwed, yes. But when you read stories of multiple, repeat mental health issues, it's hard to make a case for that person being allowed to fly.

Complete and total, 100% nonsense. It is YOUR decision to avoid medical treatment so that you can continue to fly, not the FAA's. If you have a medical condition and you decide to forego treatment so you can continue flying, that's on you, not the FAA. Sorry.

Really?!? So a professional pilot who has a career can currently go and seek any medical treatment for a condition and be prescribed medication without having to fear the FAA will bring hell and fury down on them and take their medical away and thus their career? You must either have no experience with the FAA medical process or just a complete short sighted view of what “getting medical attention” actually means in terms of recourse and possible career suicide for pilots.

I’d love for you to explain to me how the FAA allows pilots to get medical treatement without that same pilot having to worry about losing the medical or job( if a professional.). Of course the choice to get medical attention is a personal choice but you can’t honestly believe the FAA’s archaic stance on this is actually in the best interests of anyone involved.

Really?!? So a professional pilot who has a career can currently go and seek any medical treatment for a condition and be prescribed medication without having to fear the FAA will bring hell and fury down on them and take their medical away and thus their career?

That's not even remotely close to what I said. Read it again.

I’d love for you to explain to me how the FAA allows pilots to get medical treatement without that same pilot having to worry about losing the medical or job( if a professional.).

Considering that I didn't make that argument, there's no need for me to explain it.

If course the choice to get medical attention is a personal choice but you can’t honestly believe the FAA’s archaic stance on this is actually in the best interests of anyone involved.
The FAA's requiring pilots address certain medical conditions before being allowed to fly the general public around isn't in the best interests of anyone involved? Interesting.

I'm sorry, but being able to fly is not a right, and some people who want to will not be allowed to do so. Some people will get screwed, yes. But when you read stories of multiple, repeat mental health issues, it's hard to make a case for that person being allowed to fly.
I totally agree, but I do feel that there are some major faults with the way things are done regarding FAA medical that could be improved

That's not even remotely close to what I said. Read it again.

Considering that I didn't make that argument, there's no need for me to explain it.

The FAA's requiring pilots address certain medical conditions before being allowed to fly the general public around isn't in the best interests of anyone involved? Interesting.

The FAA does NOT encourage pilots to address issues they encourage the pilots to AVOID getting treatment. Once you have a medical you are actively encouraged to not see doctors, not get medication and not become healthier. That's true. Your argument literally is completely wrong and I'm surprised you chose to argue against my post when it literally received several likes from pilots who clearly get what the problem is.

Maybe a scenario will help- Pilot A develops anxiety as a result of a life event. Pilot A can manage said anxiety with medication( low dose anxiety medication) and live a normal life. Devoid of the medication, which is intended to help with the exact condition he needs help with, pilot A will continue to struggle with anxiety. Here are pilot A's options

1. Seek medical help and be forced to disclose the treatment to the FAA when it comes time to renew his medical. Likely outcomes of that are- 1. revocation of medical 2. Special issuance which requires substantial amounts of money and time
2. Avoid medical help all together and struggle with anxiety and possibly worsen but continue to fly and not have to disclose any medical conditions next time he needs to renew.

If pilot A is a professional pilot, he will almost always choose option 2. He can't risk losing his job and revocation of his medical. So let's play that out, Pilot A is forced to not seek medical treatment, is a less healthy person BUT is still flying people around! If pilot A were allowed to chose option 1, he would be a healthier person and still be permitted to fly people around. Currently the FAA without recognizing it, supports option 2, which to me, is not in anyone's best interest ( because the flying public is less safe and the pilot suffering is less healthy) thus supporting my argument that their current stance is not in the best interest of anyone.

The FAA does NOT encourage pilots to address issues they encourage the pilots to AVOID getting treatment. Once you have a medical you are actively encouraged to not see doctors, not get medication and not become healthier. That's true.

No it isn't. And repeating yourself won't change that.

Your argument literally is completely wrong and I'm surprised you chose to argue against my post when it literally received several likes from pilots who clearly get what the problem is.
Oh my gosh! You received several "likes"? Well, then I stand back in awe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Maybe a scenario will help- Pilot A develops anxiety as a result of a life event. Pilot A can manage said anxiety with medication( low dose anxiety medication) and live a normal life.

Then that is what pilot A should do. Your life and your health is more important than flying.

If pilot A is a professional pilot, he will almost always choose option 2. He can't risk losing his job and revocation of his medical.

Again, not true. Are you honestly telling us that YOU know what professional pilots will almost always do? Patently absurd.

So let's play that out, Pilot A is forced to not seek medical treatment, is a less healthy person BUT is still flying people around! If pilot A were allowed to chose option 1, he would be a healthier person and still be permitted to fly people around. Currently the FAA without recognizing it, supports option 2, which to me, is not in anyone's best interest ( because the flying public is less safe and the pilot suffering is less healthy) thus supporting my argument that their current stance is not in the best interest of anyone.

The FAA sets medical standards for pilots. They do not encourage or discourage you from doing anything. If you choose to prioritize flying over your mental health, that's your choice. And one thing I would argue that a professional pilot would almost always choose is medical certificate insurance, which protects you in the event you lose your medical.

I totally agree, but I do feel that there are some major faults with the way things are done regarding FAA medical that could be improved
Yep, yep. And to be fair they are making changes. The SSRI path is one. BasicMed is another. I'm not oblivious, I get it. But I would say we cannot expect wholesale changes overnight: they will come piecemeal; and there are some people who quite reasonably should not be allowed to fly.

The FAA sets medical standards for pilots. They do not encourage or discourage you from doing anything. If you choose to prioritize flying over your mental health, that's your choice. And one thing I would argue that a professional pilot would almost always choose is medical certificate insurance, which protects you in the event you lose your medical.

Even if it's an unintended consequence, the system as it exists today creates a professional and financial penalty for the pilot who seeks treatment for certain conditions. We have no idea how many pilots might need treatment but are avoiding it. Since planes aren't falling out of the sky, it's probably a small number and I don't think a crisis exists.

Nevertheless, there's probably some better way to handle this than a system that creates a disincentive for getting treatment.

No it isn't. And repeating yourself won't change that.

Oh my gosh! You received several "likes"? Well, then I stand back in awe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Then that is what pilot A should do. Your life and your health is more important than flying.

Again, not true. Are you honestly telling us that YOU know what professional pilots will almost always do? Patently absurd.

I'm not in this to convince you of anything but I really need to point out that you seem to want to defend the FAA for having a policy that takes away a pilot's option to freely visit doctors without having to worry about having their medical taken from them. I fail to see why you need to defend the archaic stance on medical treatment that the FAA seems to want to continue and if you can't see the unintended consequences such a policy has, than no matter how clear they are made, I don't think I'll be able to make you see how by defending the FAA you are sailing down the river anyone who may need support through a mental health issue. It just seems like you want to agree with the power system currently in place and continue the perspective of " well it's the person who has a mental health issue's fault so screw them they should suffer."

I'm certain professional pilots wrestle with these choices all the time. I'm certain many opt to keep their source of employment over their own mental, and maybe even physical health. I don't believe that's a leap on my part-- I believe that's a common sense conclusion.

Back