Red taxi line

brcase

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
So I have seen a number or red lines painted around taxiway’s at various airports.
I got a pretty good Idea what they mean, but don’t know of, or recall ever seeing any documentation as to what they mean. Looking at my photoS looks like it could be a Red with White line, but same question.

Any know where this is documented at?

Brian

Attachments

• 26DFF5B4-8C00-4793-AEAE-6F1936ABF8BB.png
    26DFF5B4-8C00-4793-AEAE-6F1936ABF8BB.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 147
  • 94F9CFF7-AFB9-4727-A722-BDD1EE4394FA.png
    94F9CFF7-AFB9-4727-A722-BDD1EE4394FA.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
That area is the designated TSA SIDA area on the ramp. Closest thing I've found is a draft AC from ~12 months ago. At some point, I'm sure it'll get published, but I've known a couple pilots that got stopped for crossing that line, especially at joint civilian-military airfields. Bottom line, don't cross the red line... ;)

See page 50.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/draft_150-5340-1K.pdf

Cheers,
Brian
--------------------

5.15. SECURITY IDENTIFICATION AND DISPLAY AREA (SIDA) MARKING. This marking is part of the airport operator's security program per Title 49 CFR 1542.205. See also the Transportation Security Administration Handbook, Recommended Security Guidelines for Airport Planning, Design, and Construction, for detailed guidance.

a. Purpose. The Security Identification Display Area (SIDA) marking is a boundary that prohibits the entry of unauthorized vehicles or personnel within the secured area. The SIDA boundary marking should be held to the smallest possible manageable size to provide the level of protection desired for the protected area or facility.

b. Location. The airport operator will determine the need for and the location(s) of the SIDA boundary marking. For example, the SIDA marking is necessary on an apron that is adjacent to air cargo areas. c. Color. The SIDA marking is a rectangular stripe with white legends that are centered within a red background. Paint colors are per AC 150/5370-2, Item P-620, Runway and Taxiway Painting.

d. Characteristics. See figure C-15. The SIDA boundary stripe is 12 inches (30 cm) wide with 6-inch (15 cm) tall legends. The legend is centered within the boundary stripe so there is a 3- inch (8 cm) boundary between the top and bottom of the legend to the edges of the boundary stripe. The legend characters are to be scaled versions of the font in Appendix A.

(1) The legend message should read “TSA RESTRICTED AREA”.
(2) The message along the SIDA boundary stripe should repeat at a minimum every 50 feet (15 m).
(3) For dark-colored pavements, the red stripe should be enhanced with a 6-inch (15 cm) white outline.

In other words, stay out of the red box/don't cross the red line... unless you're operating a flight that parks at a gate. :D

That is the secret line that keeps us safe from terrorists.
It's a great line. A beautiful line. A secret line.
If we told people about it, then it wouldn't be a secret and terrorists would figure out a way around it.

Exactly
What they don’t tell you is it’s not actually red, that’s from a elite group of double special TSA agents smearing pig blood on it, making a invisible wall the the terrorists can’t cross.

That is the secret line that keeps us safe from terrorists.
It's a great line. A beautiful line. A secret line.
If we told people about it, then it wouldn't be a secret and terrorists would figure out a way around it.
I do feel safer that it is there.

Years ago I was taxing into Texas Aero at Waco and accidently crossed the red line, ground did not like it.

Different airport. Years later, I was walking from the airplane to the FBO and walked across a red line Customs came out and did not like it.

Its a great way to meet new friends!

images

Gotta love the red line. I remember when my squadron was operating at an Air Force base with a red line. Fun fact, the Navy works Sunday and the Air Force tries not to work Sunday. At least that was the case at the base we were at. We went into work Sunday to prep the jets for Monday morning flights and were promptly greeted by the entire security force holding shotguns and rifles. They didn't care that we were US Navy Sailors working on clearly marked US Navy aircraft. We violated the red line when security controlled the airfield and had an interesting day because of it. The remainder of the time we were there I made sure to obtain the special permission from the base commander to work on our jets on each Sunday. It was a total pain but we got to get our flights in on time and we showed them Air Force guys that the Navy never really sleeps.

Maybe it means if you are one of those guys who is packing for the own protection you might want to stay out of that area.

Gotta love the red line. I remember when my squadron was operating at an Air Force base with a red line. Fun fact, the Navy works Sunday and the Air Force tries not to work Sunday. At least that was the case at the base we were at. We went into work Sunday to prep the jets for Monday morning flights and were promptly greeted by the entire security force holding shotguns and rifles. They didn't care that we were US Navy Sailors working on clearly marked US Navy aircraft. We violated the red line when security controlled the airfield and had an interesting day because of it. The remainder of the time we were there I made sure to obtain the special permission from the base commander to work on our jets on each Sunday. It was a total pain but we got to get our flights in on time and we showed them Air Force guys that the Navy never really sleeps.

I know someone who crossed the red line by accident at one of the “spookier” bases. He was face down shortly thereafter.

The funny part was, they never frisked him or his companion who got wrangled into the stupidity and the head of security was none too happy when he pulled a set of EMT shears out of his pocket in the interview room later. LOL.

Turned into a very bad day for some airman.

Even working on an Air Force flight line with an appropriate restricted area badge that allowed me access into the red box, you were still only to cross the red line at specific entry control points. The security forces personnel would love it if you brightened their day by either crossing the red line without being granted access or crossing the red line not at a place designated to cross the red line.

Bottom line, if you're not expressly allowed in, don't cross it!

I do know one fellow who was traveling out west and ran afoul of a red line. I've never seen one at all, and neither had he. Thankfully it was no more than a smidgin of security unpleasantness.

I wonder if you're R-G color blind they would give you a pass.

Bellingham Ground gave me a taxi route that crossed the red line a few years ago. I thought I must have heard him wrong, so I verified that it was what he wanted, and it was. I don't remember now, but the airline ramp may have been empty. :dunno:

Back