Heading indicator just broke

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
The course select knob on my Heading indicator seems to have stopped working. I have resetting my heading usig my magnetic compass and after pushing a turning a few times it just stopped working all together.

Two questions:

Is it better to buy a new one and replace it or get this one fixed?

2. Can I R&R this gauge or does it have to be done an A&P? I assume it I buy one the exact same weight then I do not need a new W&B.

First, I'd do a few tests to see if it is really the unit (your explanation of the failure is a little vague). Is this a vacuum unit? Did you check the plumbing and the vacuum intake filter (I assume that the suction gauge is showing enough suction and the AI still works).

The question to the first depends on the quality of the existing gauge. When I pulled my failed one out, I found a piece of masking take on it that said "$5." I guess the previous owner got his $5 worth out of it. I decided to trade that one in on a (new to me) remanufactured unit. Depending on how long you can wait, you can send the old one in for service.

Anybody can make an aircraft UNAIRWORTHY. You're free to remove it and send it off. It will take an A&P to return the aircraft to service. This is not one of the owner-pilot preventive maintenance steps authorized (assuming we're talking about standard certificated aircraft).

Like anything “remanufactured” or repaired, it all depends on who does it and what the warranty says. This assumes the price is reasonable compared to new.

If it’s the OEM, I’d have no problem assuming a decent warranty somewhat close to or equal to new. The Joe Bag of Doughnuts Storm Door and Avionics Repair Emporium would not be on my list of possible sources.

By way of example, I’ve never bought any new expensive electronic gizmo. Everything was refurbished by the OEM with great warranties and I’ve never had a problem.

Cheers

I like Rudy's Instrument Repair for this kind of stuff:

http://rudyaircraftinstruments.com/

If you're capable, I'd remove it, ship it to Rudy's, let them fix it up and get your A&P to sign-off on the reinstall (if he/she is willing). Pretty easy job in most airplanes. If it hasn't been off in awhile, the vacuum lines can be a real ***** to get off. And if you have an autopilot, the overhaul will cost more.

It was still working in flight I just cant change the heading using the knob.

Im not sure how old the unit is. I bought the plane about 2 months ago and may have to got through the receipts.

It sits behind the dash and the screws come through the front. How do I get it out?

Attachments

• 35936D46-4F7C-4F52-AD13-A89EA0152FE9.jpeg
    35936D46-4F7C-4F52-AD13-A89EA0152FE9.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 37
To remove it you disconnect any electrical and vacuum connections, remove the screws, and remove the gyro from behind the panel. You either have to assume the position upside down under the panel to remove it and the connections, or take off the top panel and reach in from above. Not fun.

Depending on the unit, the repair could be as simple as replacing a rubber o-ring that hardened, broke, and fell off the end of the adjustment mechanism. Might as well have it inspected and renewed by the repair shop while it's out.

Yep, in addition to what chemgeek says, you may need to remove the setting knob from it's shaft (just a setscrew) unless the panel cutout is big enough for the knob to pass through.

1. Is it better to buy a new one and replace it or get this one fixed?
2. Can I R&R this gauge or does it have to be done an A&P? I assume it I buy one the exact same weight then I do not need a new W&B.
1. I usually did an exchange as it was usually quicker/cheaper than a repair. Call around to several instrument shops to see where your model fits in the food chain. Some older models are not so feasible to repair anymore.

2. As stated, you can only remove it. But I would discuss with your mechanic as in some cases back-mounted instruments may require additional disassembly to get the unit down and out and the mechanic may like to see where things are before disassembly. I know I would.

Removing it might be easy or you might want to burn the plane down before you're done. As others noted, sometimes removing one instrument requires removing a bunch of others.

Before you go down that road, any chance the heading knob is hitting the panel when you push it in? On my airplane, the heading adjustment knob cannot bottom out on the shaft when installed, otherwise the knob hits the panel before it's fully depressed and it won't engage. If yours is hitting the panel, try loosening the set screw, sliding the knob out a bit on the shaft, and tightening back down.

Ill try loosening the set screw but it always worked fine before. I get the feeling it is going to be a big pain in the a** to get it out of the dash.

Get an Allen wrench and loosen the knob. Move it out just a little, tighten the set screws and try it again.

The course select knob on my Heading indicator seems to have stopped working. I have resetting my heading usig my magnetic compass and after pushing a turning a few times it just stopped working all together.

Two questions:

Is it better to buy a new one and replace it or get this one fixed?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/570665

G5s are a no-brainer if you can afford one or two, but they are an order of magnitude more expensive than a repair. Having said that my vacuum gyros are being removed as I write with dual G5s. For one thing, instrument visibility at night will be greatly improved! The original AA5 panel lighting is not exactly scintillating.

So the G5 is awesome but its about 1/10th the price of my airplane. I am not sure I can justify the expense.

The G5 makes a good backup but at 1/10th the price of the aircraft it doesn't make sense.
Like most all in one devices it isn't the best at all functions either. I have one.

If it’s vacuum, I have one I removed to put one in with a heading bug. It will not be enough weight change to warrant reweighing. Do you have a picture of yours? If so I can ensure it will work and I will send you this one if you will pay shipping.

Here is what mine looks like:

Attachments

• A93C052B-F5D7-49F9-9486-3116CB6C2BB4.jpeg
    A93C052B-F5D7-49F9-9486-3116CB6C2BB4.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 17
Keep an eye out on the forums. Lots of gear coming out of planes right now. Guy on piperforums has a DG, Beechtalk they are avail and they are otherwise boat anchors so don’t hesitate to low ball.

So this is odd because I got int he plane to go to the Ramona Air Fair and fly in and my HI was working just fine. What could have caused it to stop working the other day? It was a cold morning. Could that have had something to do with it?

It’s just getting worn out. I have had AI’s tumble and then the next time after stopping and doing he next spin up they work fine for a while. Then over time it will happen more frequently.

So do you still want to replace it? I like to give the stuff I take out to people who need it. If you still need it, I will be happy to pack and send it tomorrow or the next day.

If your still willing to send it then yes. I did notice that it doesn't adjust as quickly as it did before and I think you are right, its on its way out.

Okay, l have been out of town for a week and have a ton of stuff stacked up for tomorrow, but I think I will remember and ship tomorrow.

Back