Thinking about A Vans RV-12

TooTall

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Too Tall
Anyone know if a 6' 4" person can comfortable fit in an RV-12? I've heard of 6' 7" fitting ok but would like to know if any of you tall folks have been in one.

I can't answer your question, but depending on where you live, you may be able to get a better answer than yes or no.

The biggest benefit of the SLSA/ELSA certifications is that there are now flight schools renting RV-12s out. Van's keeps a list.

http://www.flyrv12.com/flight-schools/

I plan to fly out to one of these schools to log an hour or too dual before choosing which plane to build. (I am also hoping that one will become available in the Southeast, so I don't have to travel so far)

You profile gives no indication of where you're located, but there are RV-12 builders and owners all over who would probably be happy to let you check it out.

You profile gives no indication of where you're located, but there are RV-12 builders and owners all over who would probably be happy to let you check it out.
Ditto, our high school program has just finished building one, and we are well into our 2nd. Where are you?

Ditto, our high school program has just finished building one, and we are well into our 2nd. Where are you?

What to they do with them after they are built?

All the kids who built fly for free, just pay for fuel help with mx?

What to they do with them after they are built?

All the kids who built fly for free, just pay for fuel help with mx?
Typically they get sold to fund the next one. There is a group locally that's building one. All student built, they're looking for a buyer now. Somebody's got to cover the $75-80K it costs to build these.

There’s one In Florida with the IS engine will be for sale soon.

Typically they get sold to fund the next one. There is a group locally that's building one. All student built, they're looking for a buyer now. Somebody's got to cover the $75-80K it costs to build these.
That is correct. We will give the kids some flight time in it, then sell it. The other nice thing about Van's and these programs is after the bird flys they give you back 10% of what you have spent, nice chunk of change.

Thanks, I'll update my profile (newbie) when they let me, I'm in Lafayette, La. I think everything around here is old school Cessna's.

I'm not sure about the -12, but I'm 6'7" and fit in a -7A that was built by and for tall people (my dad (6'5") and I). There are three piano hinge pin positions you can use to mount the seat pans and we didn't even put the forward two hinges in. We also mounted the rudder pedals as far forward as possible. We also use the bare minimum thickness of seat cushions that provide comfort. We fit, but it's fairly snug - we're not hitting our heads on the canopy, but there isn't room for one of those canopy sliding sun shades above our head.

Jump over to Vansairforce and see if there is someone in your area that will let you try it out.

Back