Just picked up a sweet 175 :-)

pigpenracing

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
pigpen
5150C67F-71F2-4F11-A053-C649A9695B82.jpeg 1F76AA49-E628-4632-9C0F-B908D64E3C2C.jpeg E22114EE-EC7C-4DE0-A168-91372F7FE627.jpeg 93DF4542-BF0F-4D94-8812-101584D8093B.jpeg Went to Oregon last week and picked up this sweet little Cessna 175 and flew it home to Texas. Really good performing airplane. Cruise speed the whole way back was around 140mph. Several areas we were 155 with a little tailwind. I like it..... I am glad everyone is scared of the “Geared Engine” that got me a great deal...

Pretty plane, but I'm with everyone else in avoiding that engine (so more deal for you I guess, lol).

Pretty plane, but I'm with everyone else in avoiding that engine (so more deal for you I guess, lol).

Why would you avoid that engine? When operated correctly they are rock solid. You must run them between 3000 and 3200 rpm and they will live a long time. They are not designed to be trainers where you are on and off the throttle all day. They got a bad name way back because dummies ran them at 2300 rpm and lugged the hell out of them. They won't live like that.
Engine 3200rpm = Prop turning 2400rpm.
Imagine what that prop is doing if you try to run it at 2300 like a 172.

Last edited:
Why would you avoid that engine? When operated correctly they are rock solid. You must run them between 3000 and 3200 rpm and they will live a long time. They are not designed to be trainers where you are on and off the throttle all day. They got a bad name way back because dummies ran them at 2300 rpm and lugged the hell out of them. They won't live like that.
Engine 3200rpm = Prop turning 2400rpm.
Imagine what that prop is doing if you try to run it at 2300 like a 172.
This plane is almost 182 performance at half the cost of a nice 172. No brainer for me....
I have no personal experience, but one was in the shop when I was there, and my mechanic (who I trust) said he never sees them make their already-low recommended TBO. That's enough for me.

I have no personal experience, but one was in the shop when I was there, and my mechanic (who I trust) said he never sees them make their already-low recommended TBO. That's enough for me.

Yep,
If I listened to everyone else I wouldn’t have one either.... Or a old radial Stearman, or that dangerous Pitts in my hangar. Lol!
Lots of folks talk bad about stuff but really have no clue what that are talking about. They just want to sound smart :)
I saw several 175’s listed close to tbo so they must make it.

Last edited:
Wow, really nice plane. Sounds like you've done your homework on the engine, hope it works out for you!

Come on.. The Skybolt should be here today and the Harmon Rocket in 2 weeks! New fleet :cool:

You bought a Rocket too??!! You lucky b@$¥*£%. Now I really want a ride!

Did you keep the hot rod Bonanza?

Lovely looking Skylark, btw.

Hope you disassembled it to atoms during the prebuy and the flight home was insured for your net worth. Just kidding, have fun.

Congrats! Looks like a nice deal. I know nothing of these engines so, looks like a cool deal!

You bought a Rocket too??!! You lucky b@$¥*£%. Now I really want a ride!

Did you keep the hot rod Bonanza?

Lovely looking Skylark, btw.

I am trading a SUPER nice Rocket for my Bonanza.... I went to Arizona to see the Rocket last week and I don't think there is a nicer one out there!
The Bonanza is great but not really my style of flying. Plus I have a buddies V35B in my hangar to use any time.

There was a regularly flown 175 parked next to our 172. I saw this guy flying every time I was out, and my aiplane partner said the same thing. No issues for the ten years he was our neighbor. Buy it and fly it.

Flew a Skylark a lot 30 years ago. Not a single engine issue. Always liked the plane. I was not doing crunch and go all day long in it. It does not like having the throttle jerked around - no geared engine does. Follow the engine manual and it will live a long time.

Great looking plane. I don't know much about them, so this has been educational. Also read some here.

I think 175s are great planes, and I personally wouldn't be afraid of the geared engine. That said, I sure as heck wouldn't buy one to put on lease-back with a flight school.

I like the original classic cockpit. I'd probably swap the VCC with a classic whiskey compass; some classics deserve to stay true to the period they were built.

Ok, now that is a story we really have to, need to hear....

It was quite innocent actually. The FBO at Pearson Field KVUO was just about to close and they said go take the 172 on the ramp. The keys are in it! This was 1965, and I walked out, climbed into a 175 and took off. It did look a little strange, but I never figured out the difference.

After landing, the police were there. I ended up paying the owner what the 172 would have cost. The owner was just happy to get his airplane back!!

It was quite innocent actually. The FBO at Pearson Field KVUO was just about to close and they said go take the 172 on the ramp. The keys are in it! This was 1965, and I walked out, climbed into a 175 and took off. It did look a little strange, but I never figured out the difference.

After landing, the police were there. I ended up paying the owner what the 172 would have cost. The owner was just happy to get his airplane back!!

Now that is an epic story!

I saw several 175’s listed close to tbo so they must make it.
I think what scared me was the TBO for the GO-300 is only 1200 hours vs. 1800 for the O-300. Must be all of those extra RPMs.

I had a 175, but it had an 0-360 on it. Climbed like crazy!

Very nice, indeed. I love the look of the fastback, swept tail Cessnas.

Nice find, dude. Really good looking bird.

I almost bought one a few years ago. I liked the performance for the price. Definitely a noticeable increase in performance over a 182. Ended up with a 182 instead, but I have not qualms with the 175 like many others do. I still don't think the GO-300 will last as long as most others on average. Not because of the gears, but because it's running an O-300 at 600-900 more RPM for it's whole life to get the extra power. That said, properly taken care of, it should make an owner happy for a good long while.

Nice plane, has that nice restored car look on the inside.

Nice plane, I have noticed them in my search, and with a little more comfortable budget, I would buy one. My thought is that a good flying 175 + an O-360 + STC/labor still comes out cheaper than a 180 horse 172, and you can have 40 degrees of flaps with Cessna's awful push and hold flap switch. So even if that engine is as unreliable as they say it is, it does not have a reputation for failing in flight, and when it fails an annual you are already budgeted for the replacement.

Nice plane, I have noticed them in my search, and with a little more comfortable budget, I would buy one. My thought is that a good flying 175 + an O-360 + STC/labor still comes out cheaper than a 180 horse 172, and you can have 40 degrees of flaps with Cessna's awful push and hold flap switch. So even if that engine is as unreliable as they say it is, it does not have a reputation for failing in flight, and when it fails an annual you are already budgeted for the replacement.
Coincidentally, a 175 showed up on Coatesville (Indianapolis) Craigslist recently. Asking $18,000. Charitably speaking, its condition is: "needs work". But it has been kept indoors, airframe looks OK.

Back