Where do all the used headsets go?

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
I see lots of headset "trade-up" programs.... what happens to those?

I'm going to get my wife a nice set of ANR's, but I'm thinking I'd rather have the kids in passives so we have don't have to deal with switching them on and changing batteries. A couple sets of used DCs would be perfect, but the only place I can find them is that wretched hive of scum & villainy, ebay.

They go to headset heaven.

...A couple sets of used DCs would be perfect, but the only place I can find them is that wretched hive of scum & villainy, ebay.

Passive DCs get sold to underprivileged aviation students via the local school and flying club bulletin boards. I think there's an FAA regulation that requires that. ;)

(DCs never go to headset heaven because they just never wear out)

There's like, four or five sets behind my rear seats. I have NO idea how they got there... and I don't know anyone who's ever used them. That's a completely true statement, believe it or not.. except there's only two.

(DCs never go to headset heaven because they just never wear out)

I can show you a box of DC crap we have at work. They do wear out and because how they last at work I said I would never own a pair. But don't worry too much we do try to fix them and combine some so not all is lost. But I will also say ours are heavily used but still. Hahaha

A farm upstate....

It's magic.... I send in a set of DCs to Lightspeed and they convert them to Sierras! Totally amazing. It's like tree grafting!

I have headsets hidden in places I don’t remember! Including 3 old sets of DCs, come to think of it. I’m not motivated to sell stuff so I tend to collect it until I pitch it.

I have headsets hidden in places I don’t remember! Including 3 old sets of DCs, come to think of it. I’m not motivated to sell stuff so I tend to collect it until I pitch it.

It's funny, my wife sells stuff on fb marketplace all the time, often for $5 or less. I don't bother unless I'm going to get at least $50 for it, otherwise it gets donated or tossed. Just not worth it to deal with people.

I can't believe all these trade in headsets get trashed. I did get a pair of dcs on Ebay... paid too much....I hope they work. I think I'm going to buy a set of the korean ones off Amazon and see how they compare.

Yours are not even broke in yet, I’m over 30 years on mine

My oldest set, H10-30, is a bit older than that vintage. A few years ago the mic failed so I sent it to David Clark to repair. Came back looking like a brand new headset with new earcup cushions, new headband cushion and the mic repaired. They charged me a few bucks for the mic repair and the return shipping. That was it.

My oldest set, H10-30, is a bit older than that vintage. A few years ago the mic failed so I sent it to David Clark to repair. Came back looking like a brand new headset with new earcup cushions, new headband cushion and the mic repaired. They charged me a few bucks for the mic repair and the return shipping. That was it.

My pair of DCs (bought used off eBay) accidentally took a spill out of the bag. Busted one of the ear seals. That cost about $100 but received the same experience as you. They returned them looking brand new.

Most to trash...it is just a sale tactic to get ya to buy a new set...they still make money getting zero value from your old headset.

It is also a way to maintain brand loyalty if you are considering a new headset.

Happens across many industries. I acquired a Pro AV wireless microphone rack for $500 that I "traded in" for the newest system and got a $4,000.00 rebate towards the new purchase. While they still worked just fine, they will likely end up in electronic recycling.

My guess is that some of the electronic components and wiring have value, but it is mostly a brand loyalty thing. The $300 Bose gives X owners to get A20s definitely isn't eating much into that profit margin.

I traded in 2 pair of passive DC’s I got on Craigslist for $20 each when Lightspeed offered $250 of the Zulu 3’s

Lightspeed has had a trade-up program for a very long time - At least the 17 years I've been around aviation. They take the ones they get back, refurbish them and donate them to charitable flying organizations.

I have a pair of Lightspeed 33g's that have been in use for almost 15 years now. Unfortunately, they are showing their age. I bought them for my dad one Christmas. When he passed, I got rid of most of the old flying stuff he had, but kept the headset and use it myself. I'd love to see Lightspeed fix these up.

Having said that, I bought 5 pairs of cheap passive headsets off ebay last year. Given the light use that they see, for the $80/ pair that I paid, they will mot likely last longer than we will own the current plane.

I am really surprised to read the angst toward DC’s. I have four of them and they have been awesome and bullet proof. I converted one of them to ANR and it’s awesome. I hope there’s not any headset snobbery going on here.

Of course I suppose everyone should know that it can’t be usable unless it cost $1000.

Back