Garmin just dropped a bomb on the avionics market...

How much was the install quote?

The quote includes a G5 install. 15.5k. I think that will go up because I am pretty sure we are adding a second G5, given that our AI is showing signs of giving it up. My co-owner is now carrying the water on that front.

Seems quite expensive and lacking features, swipe left.

Seems quite expensive and lacking features, swipe left.

It is excessive. Fortunately, I get to split the costs three ways.

I am not sure what you mean by "lacking in features." For us, we will get a new ADSB-out transponder with an IFR certified GPS capable of LPV approaches, and a solid state G5 HSI indicator (which provides AHRS AI backup) for primary navigation, with a GAD 29 autopilot data interface adapter, plus re-configuring of our panel as necessary. The addition of a second G5 will provide a solid state AHRS AI, and removal of vacuum pump system.

It is excessive. Fortunately, I get to split the costs three ways.

I am not sure what you mean by "lacking in features." For us, we will get a new ADSB-out transponder with an IFR certified GPS capable of LPV approaches, and a solid state G5 HSI indicator (which provides AHRS AI backup) for primary navigation, with a GAD 29 autopilot data interface adapter, plus re-configuring of our panel as necessary. The addition of a second G5 will provide a solid state AHRS AI, and removal of vacuum pump system.

The G5 kinda sucks compared to the AV30

The transponder can’t go anonymous mode, thus it’s a no go safety wise.

Most all GPSs you see will shoot LPVs

And the install seems a little high, not like a owner assist you could do with a AV30 or something.

Especially when you have stuff like the Dynon
https://www.dynoncertified.com/

I mean value wise to me, VERY basic G5’s that are square for god knows why, a GPS without even a comm (that’s like apple not having GPS on all iPads cheap) and a transponder that’s unsafe, I see maybe $5000 in value all in, and only if I could install it myself with my AP, even then the GPS doesn’t have a comm and takes up space I could have a nav comm.

IMO not really Garmin dropping a bomb as much as just standard Garmin, AV30, Dynon, etc, those are the guys B52ing avionics.

even then the GPS doesn’t have a comm and takes up space I could have a nav comm.
I guess. But it will be taking up the space that was previously filled with a transponder that neither is ADSB-out compliant nor has GPS.

I'm not familiar with the AV30. What does it do that the G5 doesn't? I see there is a price advantage. But anything else?

For one, it’s round and fits waaay better in most panels.

For two.

G5

AV30

For one, it’s round and fits waaay better in most panels.

For two.

G5

AV30

I can definitely see some nice aesthetic differences that one might prefer in the AV30. But, is there anything substantive? It looks like the capabilities are the same.

Also, is it compatible with the GNX 375 and certified for use as a primary navigation in non-experimental aircraft?

Looks like the AV30 isn't ready yet as their page seems to be in "pre-order" mode. Also, the remote magnetometer is only a future option.

I can definitely see some nice aesthetic differences that one might prefer in the AV30. But, is there anything substantive? It looks like the capabilities are the same.

Also, is it compatible with the GNX 375 and certified for use as a primary navigation in non-experimental aircraft?

For the AI it’s just better, how everything is laid out, how it fit the panel, etc. frankly I’d sooner go that route

For the HSI, it’s sad, both a fully digital and yet they choose to basically replicate a mechanical HSI vs going the way all the working eHSIs are with all the different overlays.

... even then the GPS doesn’t have a comm and takes up space I could have a nav comm.
I don't understand your math. To get GPS+NAV+COM+TXP you need:
GPS175 (2") + GNC255 (1.66") + GTX345 (1.66") = 5.33"

Or GTN650/IFD440/GNS430 (2.66") + GTX345 (1.66") = 4.33"

Or GNX375 (2") + GNC255 (1.66") = 3.66"

Or if you want even more compact,
GNX375 (2") + TX56 (1.33") = 3.33"

The G5 kinda sucks compared to the AV30

The transponder can’t go anonymous mode, thus it’s a no go safety wise.

Most all GPSs you see will shoot LPVs

And the install seems a little high, not like a owner assist you could do with a AV30 or something.

Especially when you have stuff like the Dynon
https://www.dynoncertified.com/

I mean value wise to me, VERY basic G5’s that are square for god knows why, a GPS without even a comm (that’s like apple not having GPS on all iPads cheap) and a transponder that’s unsafe, I see maybe $5000 in value all in, and only if I could install it myself with my AP, even then the GPS doesn’t have a comm and takes up space I could have a nav comm.

IMO not really Garmin dropping a bomb as much as just standard Garmin, AV30, Dynon, etc, those are the guys B52ing avionics.
Tell us how you really feel.

Looks like the AV30 isn't ready yet as their page seems to be in "pre-order" mode. Also, the remote magnetometer is only a future option.
AV 30 is not an option right now, only zeus know it will be available. i have dual G5 no regrets. a couple of AV-30 will certainly do the job and is way cheaper, but
1. its not there yet
2. some stuff is still in pipeline without a timeline
3. i dont know how long the company will last, big G on the other hand isnt going anywhere anytime soon
4. we are yet to see how AM-30 works in real world, like what are the failure modes? does the entire instrument go belly up if the pitot port ices up? lots of unknowns.

I don't understand your math. To get GPS+NAV+COM+TXP you need:
GPS175 (2") + GNC255 (1.66") + GTX345 (1.66") = 5.33"

Or GTN650/IFD440/GNS430 (2.66") + GTX345 (1.66") = 4.33"

Or GNX375 (2") + GNC255 (1.66") = 3.66"

Or if you want even more compact,
GNX375 (2") + TX56 (1.33") = 3.33"

Exactly, a old 430w and a 345, or even a 330ES do the same thing, take less space and have less parts. I don’t see how what they released is remotely ground breaking, frankly it’s a inch more space and 3 boxes vs 2, seems like a step backwards.

Ground breaking would be the Dynon dropin glass panel.

Exactly, a old 430w and a 345, or even a 330ES do the same thing, take less space and have less parts. I don’t see how what they released is remotely ground breaking, frankly it’s a inch more space and 3 boxes vs 2, seems like a step backwards.
I still don't follow. GNX375 vs GNS430W is still 2 boxes vs 2 boxes for GPS+NAV+COM+TXP. And the GNX375 takes up less space than a GNS430W, a whole inch if paired with a Trig TX56 or SL30.

I still don't follow. GNX375 vs GNS430W is still 2 boxes vs 2 boxes for GPS+NAV+COM+TXP. And the GNX375 takes up less space than a GNS430W, a whole inch if paired with a Trig TX56 or SL30.

Simply saying its far from a bomb, it’s hardly even a fizzle.

Simply saying its far from a bomb, it’s hardly even a fizzle.

I wouldn’t say it’s a bomb. But it’s relatively cost effective because I don’t need the nav/com. So I can just add gps and ADSB out and pay only for that. It’s a compromise. But it’s a good one for us.

How are the touch screens on these? How easy are you finding them to use?

Back