Unfriendly skies today in PHX

I just landed from Phoenix - the weather was absolutely nuts this past week. Poured on my golf tourney on Monday too. What gives Phoenix? I actually left out of Mesa and there were storms all over.

Cool picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All this strange Phoenix weather is relatively (20yrs or less) new. Family lived there until 1999 and never saw anything other than dust storms that kept the windshield companies in business.

All this strange Phoenix weather is relatively (20yrs or less) new.
New for you, who lives a mere flicker of geologic time. Whatever weather you are seeing has happened millions of times before you walked this earth and will occur millions of times after you're completely forgotten.

It looks like a partially developed, or dissipating, cold core funnel. Yep. Don't fly through, or near it. Fully developed, it can produce F0 to F1 conditions.

Seems like every week we are getting a line through here, its nearly October!

A couple months ago I flew up to this, then ran away and tied down for about an hour. Then I pushed to my destination without issue.

Attachments

• Sat2.png
    Sat2.png
    289.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Ssat5.png
    Ssat5.png
    380.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Sat6.png
    Sat6.png
    294.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Sat3.png
    Sat3.png
    434.9 KB · Views: 62
Yikes. That’s a spooky cloud. Does look like the end of a roll cloud. Bad things near by

Looks like the Morning Glory Clouds over the Gulf of Carpentaria in northern Australia. Those can be hundreds of miles long and attract lots of sailplane and even hang glider attention. Best to have a motor though. There is nothing down there if you have a problem except salt water crocodiles, deadly jellyfish, snakes and spiders. Oh, did I mention sharks?

Back