Metal Detector Find- ???

Mooney Fan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
So I was back in the woods behind my house. There is a small branch that runs through my property which fills when rains come. I was out there the other day with my metal detector and found these items. What I do know

Sleeves are magnetic, 2"L x 7/8" O.D.
Nipples are magnetic- 2 1/8"L x 3/4" O.D.tapering to 1/4"

Nipple looking things are what have me stumped. The tip does not have a hole on the small end.

Take a guess as to what they are? I'm thinking parts from an old still lol.....

Also found a couple .45 caliber bullets (lead copper jacketed/plated) and old double bit axe heads.

image2.jpeg image1.jpeg

Last edited:
Take them to a wire wheel to knock the corrosion off and see what's beneath.

Looks a little like some old WW1/WW2 German hand grenades.... Probably not, but the resemblance is there.

The German grenades usually have longer handles and shorter cylinders (proportionally) and the handles were made of wood. The cylinders were sheet steel (like a vegetable can). And given his dimensions, these are way too small.

It looks like some sort of mashing forming tool. Is the nipple thingie solid?

Looking at them, I'm afraid you might find a lot of rust underneath
When I picked at the tip of one to see if it has a hole, the metal broke off now there’s a hole in one. They appear to be sets. The nipples slide into the sleeves

Some kind of electrical binding post termination? They look almost like some of the banana plug ends I use on my homebrew speaker cables, but the dimensions are a little too long. Mabye something similar, but more industrial?

C2956C00-A5A8-4131-B2AC-35E55292E0F8.jpeg
Some kind of electrical binding post termination? They look almost like some of the banana plug ends I use on my homebrew speaker cables, but the dimensions are a little too long. Mabye something similar, but more industrial?

Another item of interest.4.5” Dia. Some say it’s a game ball the Indians played with.

Last edited:
My uncle thought they may be some old style fuses that act like pressure relief valve concept.

So I was back in the woods behind my house. There is a small branch that runs through my property which fills when rains come. I was out there the other day with my metal detector and found these items. What I do know

Sleeves are magnetic, 2"L x 7/8" O.D.
Nipples are magnetic- 2 1/8"L x 3/4" O.D.tapering to 1/4"

Nipple looking things are what have me stumped. The tip does not have a hole on the small end.

Take a guess as to what they are? I'm thinking parts from an old still lol.....

Also found a couple .45 caliber bullets (lead copper jacketed/plated) and old double bit axe heads.

View attachment 78214 View attachment 78215

DMDC or Dirt Sharks?

IDK, I live 3 miles from the Cumberland River in TN. All up hill from the river
Maybe not always? Looks like there was an inland sea there a 'few' years ago. Wave action could possibly have shaped the stone?? That would be cool, and old;-)

Usually the game balls were made out of some kind of hide filled with grass or something soft.

What is this made of.?? How much does it weigh.??

Its a rock. Right at 5lbs. We first thought cannonball, but that has been ruled out. Non magnetic. A person thought it was an old garden gazing ball too

I was thinking possibly old mortar round, but since it is rock that rules that out.

Put it in the garden, if you see old fairies hangin' around then you know what it is.... :lol::lol:

The pieces with the narrowed end remind me of a hot water mixing valve thermostat I just replaced. Very similar design.

Its a rock. Right at 5lbs. We first thought cannonball, but that has been ruled out. Non magnetic. A person thought it was an old garden gazing ball too
At one time, stone (non-magnetic) cannon shot were used. Once folks learned to cast metal well, stone shot went away.

Not suggesting that it is shot, rather pointing out that shot was, at one time, non-metallic Rock.

A station that plays non-metallic Rock is on one of my presets.

I think what you found was a classic rock... does it roll?

Back