Shot with a Cannon

When cannons are outlawed, only my in-laws will have cannons. :)

Ron Wanttaja

Quote of the day:

"... the school said in a statement that it would no longer allow random alumni to bring cannons to home football games, which seems reasonable."

“Cannon”. Seeing he still has a head not really as much of a cannon as a pyrotechnic prop. Slow news day

I'm sure alcohol was involved, plus life long stupidity.

“Cannon”. Seeing he still has a head not really as much of a cannon as a pyrotechnic prop. Slow news day
Cannon loaded with powder and a wad == pyrotechnics prop, just don't stand too close.
Cannon loaded with cannonball == cannon.
Cannon loaded with canister or langrage == truly impressive.

Ask Jon-Erik Hexum about blanks...

Interestingly the Canon I have access to was built an a College Machine Shop in less than Hour.

Interestingly the Canon I have access to was built an a College Machine Shop in less than Hour.

I built a cannon in my college’s machine shop, but it took more than an hour.

That blast was pretty close to that ref. How bout you don’t see the cannon firer run out! Scary.

I shoot airplanes all the time with my Canon. I've also taken it to games and shot quite a few football players. I'm even allowed to carry it on airlines.

That cannon guy is an ahole. The people who allow a cannon operated by an amateur are idiots. There doesn't have to be a projectile for a cannon to cause injury. That ref was right in the firing line, he took the full brunt of the blast concussion, he's lucky he didn't die. Serious stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_injury

That cannon guy is an ahole. The people who allow a cannon operated by an amateur are idiots. There doesn't have to be a projectile for a cannon to cause injury. That ref was right in the firing line, he took the full brunt of the blast concussion, he's lucky he didn't die. Serious stuff.

Amateur?

As opposed to what? random marching band kid who they normally have fire the old cannon from the drama club storage?

Also was that the first time they scored?

"the tradition of firing off a blast for every touchdown"

Was this the first touch down?

Was the cannon hidden, I mean Id wager most everyone in that little game probably noticed "dude its Tammy and Tod and they brought the cannon!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situation_awareness

Now even though its more of a prop than anything, still some basic dont fire it off when the dude is infront of it, set it up pointing away from things should apply

Are they claiming it was a assassination attempt? Because thats a really bad attempt, or was this just a case of oops in some bodunk football game.

Getting bubba gump DA and the donut squad involved seems pretty overkill, as does all this making national news.

I bet not a decade ago this would have been a "Im so sorry Gus, let me pay for the hospital visit and I'll take you and your wife out for dinner" and outside from the kids talking about it for a few days at school that would have been that.

He was further away, but no doubt rang his bell, still seems a stretch to take this to the police and DA level, perhaps another case of all other real crimes solved and all kittens out of trees?

Last edited:
Amateur?

As opposed to what? random marching band kid who they normally have fire the old cannon from the drama club storage?

Also was that the first time they scored?

"the tradition of firing off a blast for every touchdown"

Was this the first touch down?

Was the cannon hidden, I mean Id wager most everyone in that little game probably noticed "dude its Tammy and Tod and they brought the cannon!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situation_awareness

Now even though its more of a prop than anything, still some basic dont fire it off when the dude is infront of it, set it up pointing away from things should apply

Are they claiming it was a assassination attempt? Because thats a really bad attempt, or was this just a case of oops in some bodunk football game.

Getting bubba gump DA and the donut squad involved seems pretty overkill, as does all this making national news.

I bet not a decade ago this would have been a "Im so sorry Gus, let me pay for the hospital visit and I'll take you and your wife out for dinner" and outside from the kids talking about it for a few days at school that would have been that.

He was further away, but no doubt rang his bell, still seems a stretch to take this to the police and DA level, perhaps another case of all other real crimes solved and all kittens out of trees?

It's a fricken cannon, whether it has a blank shotgun shell or 6 oz of black powder you don't set it off anywhere near where someone could get in front of it. It wasn't intentional, probably, but it was beyond stupid and I'm betting alcohol fueled.

We have neighbors near by our lake house that have duels with their cannons. One uses black powder and is about 3 feet long, the other is smaller and uses blank shot gun shells. They are both loud and will make you jump out of your skin a half mile away if you are not expecting it. I couldn't imagine being 5 or 10 feet in front of it, oblivious to it, when it goes off.

I'm still looking for a 20mm so I can weaponize the Cub.
A little too modern. Try something like this....
swivel.jpg

Ron "Push the button, Max" Wanttaja

Carbide cannons.
I still have mine. Anyone else own one?

When I was growing up in Texas farmers had carbide cannons to scare the birds off the crops. Those things could be heard and felt all across the county.

All I see on the internet now is small carbide pop guns made for parlor tricks.

There are professional cannoneers? What school has that major? I guess the army, Marines.

There are professional cannoneers? What school has that major? I guess the army, Marines.

Good point, I'm sure there is some type of program to check out and certify on big military guns. There are also professional pyrotechnic people. I would also think basic firearm safety would count. Having the thing on the ground, in a group of people, pointed at the field, again ground level is just stupid and begging for an issue. Just because stupid sometimes works repeatedly doesn't mean it will work forever.

Where did you get that thing? The mizzen top of the USS Constitution?:)
Why, is one missing? :)

Made it from a stairway stile and a few other parts. Need to find a paint that's more bronze...this was supposed to be, but it isn't.

Ron Wanttaja

Why, is one missing? :)

Made it from a stairway stile and a few other parts. Need to find a paint that's more bronze...this was supposed to be, but it isn't.

Ron Wanttaja
We spent a week in Copenhagen last year. One of the more interesting places we visited was the Royal Danish Arsenal Museum, where there was artillery on display from more or less modern times (WWII) back to the 17th or maybe 16th centuries. Not many bronze-appearing cannons there, but there were a few.

tojhusmuseet_kanonhallen.png

We spent a week in Copenhagen last year. One of the more interesting places we visited was the Royal Danish Arsenal Museum, where there was artillery on display from more or less modern times (WWII) back to the 17th or maybe 16th centuries. Not many bronze-appearing cannons there, but there were a few.
Bronze has superior longevity, but is more expensive and a country interested in building up its arsenal for an imminent war is not as likely to be concerned about how long they last.

Iron guns were often coated with paint (sometimes a mixture of beeswax and soot) to deter corrosion, which is why they are usually dark gray or black.

Ron Wanttaja

Over 35 years ago a number of Civil War enthusiasts were marching in Denver's Saint Patrick's Day parade. Periodically they would stop and fire a blank from their cannon. We (yes, I was one of them) had just lite the fuse on one when an idiot from one of the local TV stations jumped out in front of it to get a great video view. We grabbed him and pulled him down just as it went off. Saved his life in all probability. Those who saw it on TV said there was a great view and then the inside of the smoke from the shot. There was a reason a number of us with in front, but off to both sides of that thing. It was to stop fools like that TV cameraman from doing what he tried. Idiots. Those things, even firing blanks, are powerful. And ours was a 1/2 scale 12 pound Napoleon. Nothing "big".

Back