Can I paint my canopy?

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I have a Grumman AA-1 and the bubble canopy gets really hot during the day. I ordered a special sliding fabric cover from a company in Australia and while it does the job, it gets caught between the canopy and the top of the plane when i slide the canopy back. It would work well on a airplane with a pivoting canopy but not a sliding (This canopy cover will be for sale in the classifieds soon.)

Anyway, I was then thinking of pulling the canopy off, taping off a section of the inside above my head and painting it. It will only block the top and will not restrict my view cause it wont block the sides. Can this be done? Any paint recommendations?

No clue on if but I suggest you look at some opaque clinging film for a less permanent solution maybe.

A trick crop dusters in Hillers and Bell47's use to do is use shoe polish..

Today we have 3M films which work exceptionally well. Try a super dark tint. The great thing is if you don't like it, peel it off.

When I owned an AA-1A I used tinted slap-on films and they worked great to cut the direct sun. Best of all, they could be repositioned as needed.

I tried the static cling tint and it fell right off. What type did you use?

I tried the static cling tint and it fell right off. What type did you use?

I don't remember...something from Sportys or Spruce. Both the canopy and the cling have to be clean. Dust or dirt kills the cling.

You also have to create static on the film for it to stick well. Rub it on your shirt a bit....

Another option might be white vinyl on the outside of the canopy. I would not paint a canopy with anything other than lates house paint (which is another suggestion).

My 2001 DA40 has a perforated metal film on the exterior of the greenhouse, er, canopy. It helps reduce the heat, and you can still see through it, sort of. Not sure where you could source the material, and Diamond stopped using it after a few years, painting the area white on newer DA 40s.

DSCN1372.jpg

They make a mountable sun screen that goes on the inside for the aa1, unfortunately I don’t know who makes it.

Ive looked all over for the mountable sunscreen but I havent even seen a picture of one

My 2001 DA40 has a perforated metal film on the exterior of the greenhouse, er, canopy. It helps reduce the heat, and you can still see through it, sort of. Not sure where you could source the material, and Diamond stopped using it after a few years, painting the area white on newer DA 40s.

View attachment 78138

They put the perforated film on the outside?

Head over to an auto shop for rolls of the static cling film. Cheaper than Spruce or Sportys and the same stuff. I created small side window shades with it.

E86A2AD1-9157-4A47-9D35-EEC2ECDA22DD.jpeg I’ve had the window tint on my back windows of my plane for two years with no problems. You MUST use the removable type, if not you will screw youself. I ued a soap water mixture to apply it, they come in multiple shades of darkness.
They do distort vision some, but I don’t sit in the back seat.
Nothing going could be easier, and it is removable

Last edited:
Reactions: JPA
Plasti Dip

Mask off the section on the inside, spray until opaque, unmask. If you don't like it, peel it off.

I just ordered some perforated film similar to what the Diamond has above except its vinyl. I am going to place it on the outside of the canopy. Ill post pictures if it works well and it was only $20

We've been considering cling-tint film for our AA-1. May have to stop by AutoZone for some film.
Of course, if it gets too hot, you can fly with the canopy open. It's actually really cool (kinda loud, but mostly cool).

I actually already bought the cling film from Autozone and no matter what I did it would not stick. I returned it.

What liquid? It was supposed to be a static cling. The directions didnt mention liquid but I may have been doing it wrong. Its ok though cause it probably would not have met my needs anyway

The one I used said to apply with their solution or water with a couple of drops of soap in it.
As posted in my picture above it has been holding up fine for two years plus now.

That is different than static cling film. That stuff is actual window tint.

It’s not standard window tint, it is removable, if you use regular window tint you will ruin your windows.

AA1s can be flown basically max cruise with the canopy open, so why not do that on hot days?

AA1s can be flown basically max cruise with the canopy open, so why not do that on hot days?

It's very noisy with the canopy open. And it doesn't do anything about baking in the sun. Plus the max allowed canopy opening is only about 8 inches or so. Tinted slap-ons or re-positionable shades help a lot. The greenhouse effect in an AA-1X is amazing.

Back