New Guy Pumped About Getting Thru Training

Windpane

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Windpane
I'll tell you a little story...as if this matters, but I was buying equipment for doing educational videos, zoom conferences, and that kind of thing. The headset for this occupation needed a foam wind cover to damper the wind noise on the mic. I was browsing Amazon for this item, and there were aviation headsets foam covers. I thought, "Hey, those have to be rugged, right?"

That little $6 aviation item sparked my interests. I browsed over at how much those aviation headsets cost. They must be rugged, right? Aviation dudes don't mess around, right? That when I sawr the prices, and I thought, "Hey, there's little airport right down the road from me. How much to rent a plane?" I started was searching for how rental fees are, requirements, and "how about pay jobs behind the yoke," eh? :ihih::blueplane:

And that was that! I was hooked. Airport down the road, info all over the internet, and actually a life long passion about flight (and extreme talents) since I was the kidd. I've always been the outdoor guy since boyhood, athlete, tree climbing arborist, researching intellectual, writer... Well, I had to do this...no matter what the cost. :thumbsup:

...and that, my friends, is why airline pilot entry costs in the US and Europe are so expensive. Because people love it like Six Flags parks.

Great story, right?
:sosp: :cryin::cryin: :sosp:

Last edited:
Really this thread is to say I'm pumped about flying. I'm going to crack the whip, and save up $9k in the next two months, and take the pilot course all at once. First, fill up on all of the paper knowledge and youtube videos, then flight time with CFI.

I'll go for the rest of the qualifications and licenses that go with 250 flight hours right away. Focus hard on this thing for awhile.

The small airport a few miles from me has a flight club I'm joining. Lots of rentals and CFI's. Something like 100x CFI's.

Thanks. That's sayin' a lot. Haha.

Bold and fast...head on a swivel.

I'm going over weather patterns and weather chart reading seminar for flight route planning right now. Just trying to gorge on all of the concepts about this field until their natural.

A quick tip...it's "yoke"....unless you're working behind the grill in a diner.

Get off the forum and read those texts I recommended in one of your other threads... ;)

A quick tip...it's "yoke"....unless you're working behind the grill in a diner.

Get off the forum and read those texts I recommended in one of your other threads... ;)

Oh well, got that yolk off that post.

Yeah, just reading, watching, and posting what comes to mind. The study lab days here online. There's a process to it.

Get your Medical out of the way ASAP. Class 1 if your going to do this as a profession. Just Saying. Good Luck. Keep the blue part up.

Okay, class 1 medical. Do we retake this every so many years, or is it just a one time deal?

Good luck!

Dive in, as it seems you have done, knock out the ground and apply it to your flight training. Before you know it you will have that perma-grin plastered all over your face following your first solo.

Okay, class 1 medical. Do we retake this every so many years, or is it just a one time deal?
READ THOSE TEXTS I RECOMMENDED!!

Holy crap. I'm trying to be nice. Really. It's great you're enthusiastic. You're certainly not lacking in confidence. Self-esteem SURE doesn't seem to be lacking. At some point, you need to read and study. This isn't the place to do that. Mentors can't mentor someone who knows nothing if the "mentee" is unwilling to crack a book and learn the basics and some background. What you're doing is the aviation equivalent of skipping "Intro to Biology" and asking, "so, what's the fastest way to do a heart transplant? I'm really smart and can improvise." How do you think a surgeon would answer that question?

Read the handbooks. Maybe enroll in a Sporty's or King's course. If you're having trouble understanding something specific, by all means come here and ask...we'd be glad to help. I'm about a 200 hour pilot without an IR, and I know nothing compared to a lot of (most of, probably) the folks here. I'm sure I've asked some stupid questions (yes, there ARE stupid questions....not because the questions themselves don't require answers, but because it was stupid to ask them when the answers are so easily and readily available to anyone who's willing to do even the most minimal amount of research on their own) and shown my ignorance here. However, I always try to find out things for myself first. Read the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Aeronautical Information Manual. Both are free downloads from the FAA. Find them. Read them. Ask specific questions about them as you read them if you have trouble. We'll help.

READ THOSE TEXTS I RECOMMENDED!!

Holy crap. I'm trying to be nice. Really. It's great you're enthusiastic. You're certainly not lacking in confidence. Self-esteem SURE doesn't seem to be lacking. At some point, you need to read and study. This isn't the place to do that. Mentors can't mentor someone who knows nothing if the "mentee" is unwilling to crack a book and learn the basics and some background. What you're doing is the aviation equivalent of skipping "Intro to Biology" and asking, "so, what's the fastest way to do a heart transplant? I'm really smart and can improvise." How do you think a surgeon would answer that question?

Read the handbooks. Maybe enroll in a Sporty's or King's course. If you're having trouble understanding something specific, by all means come here and ask...we'd be glad to help. I'm about a 200 hour pilot without an IR, and I know nothing compared to a lot of (most of, probably) the folks here. I'm sure I've asked some stupid questions (yes, there ARE stupid questions....not because the questions themselves don't require answers, but because it was stupid to ask them when the answers are so easily and readily available to anyone who's willing to do even the most minimal amount of research on their own) and shown my ignorance here. However, I always try to find out things for myself first. Read the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Aeronautical Information Manual. Both are free downloads from the FAA. Find them. Read them. Ask specific questions about them as you read them if you have trouble. We'll help.
What is a stupid question? <- stupid question

Once again, reading the FAA docs will answer almost very question you’ve asked. There are no short cuts to learning aviation. Get into the good habits now. Should you go into Part 135 or 121, you will spend LOTS of time reading the material you need to learn, and you’ll need to learn ALL of it, not just the Cliff Notes version you’re trying to acquire here.

Good job on getting your financing in place and making a dedicated run through the program. It will go faster and you will learn more.

Back