Best program?

Sport Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot
Fellow pilots,

I am trying to decide which program to go with for my iPad, the FlyQ EFB or the ForeFlight.

I have heard good things about both, but ForeFlight seems to be more prevalent.

Is ForeFlight the way to go?

Thank you.

Like the major headset companies, most have 30 day tryout periods...Try each one, see which you like best. It really is a personal preference, just like headsets.

Like the major headset companies, most have 30 day tryout periods...Try each one, see which you like best. It really is a personal preference, just like headsets.

I signed up for the free trial with FlyQ EFB two days ago and have used it for two flights. I like the functions of it, but I haven’t tried anything else, including ForeFlight.

I use foreflight, have had it since it’s inception,Fly Q is definitely worth looking at. Do the free trials that are available. See which your more comfortable with.

I was using Avare. I have since switched to iFly. Nothing wrong with Avare, but we put an iFly GPS in the plane, and it's nice to have the same app running in the plane, on my Android tablet, and on my partner's iPad.

As others have said, use the trial periods and check'em out yourself. I flew with Avare, then FltPlan Go (yes, I'm cheap if it's safe to be cheap) , then downloaded iFlyGPS about two months ago and was absolutely knocked out by it. I'm a paid subscriber now to the full IFR version. Great support, too... they get right back to you if you have a question, and even offered to extend the trial period. It's worth checking out, anyway. The only downside is that it is so easy to use and gives you so many alerts and reminders (when to switch tanks, when to start descents, and all kinds of other things) that I can see getting reliant on those things and lazy. That's bad.

FlyQ to me needs a better UI. Foreflight and Garmin Pilot are the premier choices imho.

I have a subscription to FlyQ and Foreflight and never use FlyQ. I wanted to like it because of their lifetime subscriptions but I just like foreflight so much better.

Great suggestions guys, thanks.

I will use the FlyQ which I already have and will download free trial of ForeFlight and use that too.

I have two flights (Sat / Sun) this weekend, so I’ll be able to test them out.

Choose an EFB that is compatible with the tablet OS you use, and if applicable, talks to the equipment in your plane. There are some freeware options, including FltPlan Go, which is pretty flexible. I use Droid EFB as my primary. These two apps are Android compatible.

I’ve used FlyQ, FltPlan Go, and ForeFlight. ForeFlight is definitely my preference, but that choice chains me to iOS. I’d love to give an Android device a shot otherwise.

Foreflight is the best one hands down.

Also the most $$ hence why other programs.

I prefer ForeFlight. I wish I liked one of the others better, since FF locks you into an iPad and I'd rather run it on Android. I have FltPlan Go on my Android tablet and it's okay, but not nearly as good as FF.

But, like others have said, use the trial versions to find your own preference.

I prefer ForeFlight. I wish I liked one of the others better, since FF locks you into an iPad and I'd rather run it on Android. I have FltPlan Go on my Android tablet and it's okay, but not nearly as good as FF.....

If you've got the time, since you have an Android tablet, download iFlyGPS and give the trial a shot. It blows FltPlan Go's doors off... and I was fine w/ using FltPlan Go for the past year. I'd be very curious what you think about iFlyGPS as a ForeFlight user. I personally don't like Apple stuff .. had to use it at my work, but don't own any.... so ForeFlight was out for me. If I REALLY am missing out, I'd probably be willing to suck it up and buy an iPad, but I can't test Foreflight w/out buying one.

Fellow pilots,

I am trying to decide which program to go with for my iPad, the FlyQ EFB or the ForeFlight.

I have heard good things about both, but ForeFlight seems to be more prevalent.

Is ForeFlight the way to go?

Thank you.

Foreflight is the most popular due to extensive marketing. As noted, you can get free 30 day trials. Do not download all of them at once. Try each for a month and evaluate which you like.

Also if you are VFR, WingX at 99 cents. Also keep in mind if you desire to link your IPAD to a Garmin transponder for traffic and weather, you are limited to ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot.

Some of this depends on your mission as well. If you're getting ratings to go to a commercial job, get ForeFlight. That's what most commercial operators use (I think). If you're just buying it for yourself, test them all including Garmin Pilot.

Back