Uber tipping?

When I was visiting Seattle earlier this year, a few restaurants had a message on the receipt that said something like:

"a 20% service charge has been added to your bill to allow us to provide medical insurance and job benefits to our employees. None of this service charge is distributed directly to employees". I had a problem with that.

Yup. Restaurant pockets it. Expects you to tip on top of that.
Folks in Seattle elected the jokers that passed those rules. Now they'll have to live with it, even if it means they only make $15/hr waiting tables.

Sure I am. We’re talking about comparing a fully depreciated Crown Vic that’s 20 years old versus that Corolla. In relative terms, you’re getting a limo.

You’re just getting it from a company who figured out how to get their drivers to eat the fleet depreciation to keep the cost to you similar to the Crown Vic fleet.

We all know this. There’s no such thing as a free lunch.

A 20 year old, fully depreciated, 13-20 MPG Crown Vic isn't going to be allowed in major cities as a taxi anyway. Uber will, however, let you use a 10-15 year old, fully depreciated Prius that gets 50+ MPG or the same age 35+ MPG Corolla that you can buy for $4000.

But you can't fix the situation by stiffing the customarily tipped employees.

None of the people I refuse to tip are eligible to be paid less than minimum wage as far as I know, which means they are not customarily tipped employees.

A 20 year old, fully depreciated, 13-20 MPG Crown Vic isn't going to be allowed in major cities as a taxi anyway. Uber will, however, let you use a 10-15 year old, fully depreciated Prius that gets 50+ MPG or the same age 35+ MPG Corolla that you can buy for $4000.

Still allowed here. See Crown Vics still all the time.

Uber forces ten years old or newer in most cities. They hid it behind their login wall once they realized anywhere outside of a major city they weren’t able to find enough drivers of newer cars who wanted to destroy them. The website will say 15, but “log in to find out for sure”.

Clearly they want a fleet of much more valuable vehicles than the price anyone wants to pay.

If they could actually compete with cabs, they would have. They’re just enjoying milking the tech rah-rah culture and gig economy trends.

Or in other words, just acting like normal Silicon Valley execs. LOL.

You NEED a new $1000 phone every couple of years. Don’t you feel the pressure? It’s tech! It’s new! We let our engineers bloat the OS so badly with nothing burgers that the old one will run slow.

It’s the same deal with their creeping crud of promises of what they were building and could offer when they started vs now. It’ll keep eroding. The economics of “drive me to the airport” didn’t change.

And the fuel cost or economy won’t be any big deal compared to competitors overall. It’s the skirting of taxes and regulation that they’ve gotten away with so far that gave a false sense of better economy.

Doesn’t work for airlines and doesn’t work for cars. Fleet management is a very well known business model and the accounting numbers just aren’t that complex.

Start with the promise of no tipping and owner supplied cars and then work your way back to the bottom dollar. First hit was most States requiring commercial insurance. They’ll slowly add back on the rest.

None of the people I refuse to tip are eligible to be paid less than minimum wage as far as I know, which means they are not customarily tipped employees.
Whether they get the minimum wage or not doesn't matter enter into whether they are customarily tipped or not. The law only permits employers to exploit EMPLOYEES who can be tipped by not paying them the minium wage. Even if they were paid the mininum wage, their market salary includes the tips.

Uber drivers aren't employees (at least UBER uses the excuse they are not, that may be changing in at least California). An UBER driver isn't even given the guarantee of a minimum wage.

Whether they get the minimum wage or not doesn't matter enter into whether they are customarily tipped or not. The law only permits employers to exploit EMPLOYEES who can be tipped by not paying them the minium wage. Even if they were paid the mininum wage, their market salary includes the tips.

Uber drivers aren't employees (at least UBER uses the excuse they are not, that may be changing in at least California). An UBER driver isn't even given the guarantee of a minimum wage.

In California, tipped workers still need to receive at least minimum wage in addition to their tips

Uber workers (at least to prior to the currently enacted bill) aren't employees. THere's no minium wage or tip restrictions.

Uber workers (at least to prior to the currently enacted bill) aren't employees. THere's no minium wage or tip restrictions.

Actually, the applicability of Dynamex as to Uber and Lyft drivers is very much in the air.

My brother drives for Uber.

He was a programmer for a major corporation and his wife is a finance administrator. They did a very careful analysis of the numbers and he’s clearing much more driving for Uber than he did while working as a programmer. He enjoys meeting new people and the work. Both he and his wife are happy with his choice.

He said you do need to understand the program and how to play the game but it can work under the right circumstances.

He was a programmer for a major corporation and his wife is a finance administrator. They did a very careful analysis of the numbers and he’s clearing much more driving for Uber than he did while working as a programmer. He enjoys meeting new people and the work. Both he and his wife are happy with his choice.

He said you do need to understand the program and how to play the game but it can work under the right circumstances.

Good lord, what did he write in? Logo? LOL.

Any good programmer is pulling down a lot of money. Any great programmer is writing their own ticket right now. Even just a “senior” developer who can work autonomously is making bank these days.

Is he really young and didn’t put in the effort needed to become a pro at it, or does he live somewhere with a glut of programmers?

Good lord, what did he write in? Logo? LOL.

Any good programmer is pulling down a lot of money. Any great programmer is writing their own ticket right now. Even just a “senior” developer who can work autonomously is making bank these days.

Is he really young and didn’t put in the effort needed to become a pro at it, or does he live somewhere with a glut of programmers?
Or maybe he chose a career in programming because everyone told him he could make great money, but he really hates being a programmer and likes talking to people.

Separately, since this thread began, I have read on here and on other forums that people choose the airport they land at based on total cost. They list the FBO fees, the price of the fuel and the price of transportation. They will choose a place with a free crew car instead of having to take Uber. Then they complain that Uber cheats their drivers by not paying them a living wage. If they did that, then even fewer people would ride Uber. So then some of those people don't tip because it is the employer's job to provide a living wage. I call those people hypocrites if they are not willing to contribute to the living wage of peole that provide them a service.

Now I'll go get that second cup of coffee.

Or maybe he chose a career in programming because everyone told him he could make great money, but he really hates being a programmer and likes talking to people.

Separately, since this thread began, I have read on here and on other forums that people choose the airport they land at based on total cost. They list the FBO fees, the price of the fuel and the price of transportation. They will choose a place with a free crew car instead of having to take Uber. Then they complain that Uber cheats their drivers by not paying them a living wage. If they did that, then even fewer people would ride Uber. So then some of those people don't tip because it is the employer's job to provide a living wage. I call those people hypocrites if they are not willing to contribute to the living wage of peole that provide them a service.

Now I'll go get that second cup of coffee.
Wow that’s some tortured logic. If the actual costs of taking an Uber are too high for most people, then Uber shouldn’t be in business. This kind of tip nonsense distorts the market. State the cost and if it’s of value, people will pay it. Lying about the cost at the expense of the employee is cheating them.

Last edited:
Wow that’s some tortured logic. If the actual costs of taking an Uber are too high for most people, then Uber shouldn’t be in business. This kind of tip nonsense distorts the market. State the cost and if it’s of value, people will pay it. Lying about the cost at the expense of the employee is cheating them.
I always hate that argument about they shouldn't be in business. If customers are willing to pay a price and employees are willing to work at an agreed price and if the company can make a profit, then they should be allowed to be in business.

If we banned tipping in this country, people would still tip. And low paid employees would come to depend on it again. When Americans take over tourist spots where tipping is not customary, Americans tip anyway and the locals come to expect it. It is a culture thing and you are not going to change the culture by not participating.

Done right, I like tipping. If the service is tip worthy, I tip. If not, I tip less or nothing. It encourages better service and that is what I am looking for.

When I was visiting Seattle earlier this year, a few restaurants had a message on the receipt that said something like:

"a 20% service charge has been added to your bill to allow us to provide medical insurance and job benefits to our employees. None of this service charge is distributed directly to employees". I had a problem with that.

One of many reasons I do not go to Seattle unless it is absolutely necessary.

I don't tip the Masterpark driver, even when he loads or unloads my suitcases. The voters in Seatac raised the minimum wage to $15/hour. Masterpark now adds a $0.99/day surcharge, labeled a "living wage surcharge" on the bill. They got their "tip" with that raise. No way am I giving them extra money.

That makes sense.
Do waiters/waitresses there still make less than minimum wage because of expected tips? If so, then the voters screwed them badly.

The voters in Seatac raised the minimum wage to $15/hour. Masterpark now adds a $0.99/day surcharge, labeled a "living wage surcharge" on the bill.
Brilliant. I'll bet the extra buck per day, per vehicle, exceeds the extra pay and benefits by a pretty good margin.

One of many reasons I do not go to Seattle unless it is absolutely necessary.

Won't keep me from going to Seattle. It will however keep me from tipping anyone there.

Question is: do you tip when you take an uber? How much?
Does the Uber driver know who tips them?

I've gone back and forth on this. To answer your question, I usually tip the middle option... so it's that $3, then I put $3.. if it's 18%, then I do that

But I wonder:
-how much of the tip do they keep
-do they know who is tipping them and how much? Or does it just lump into their pay?
^apologies if this was answered up thread, couldn't bring myself to crank through 5 pages of posts

PS, remember when Uber was new and they advertised how you could earn over $100K driving for them.. back originally the drivers (I believe) kept basically the whole fair and the app was just a pass through to connect the two.. that seems to have dramatically shifted

PS, remember when Uber was new and they advertised how you could earn over $100K driving for them.. back originally the drivers (I believe) kept basically the whole fair and the app was just a pass through to connect the two.. that seems to have dramatically shifted

I am suprised that so far nobody has undercut them in terms of the take.

I am suprised that so far nobody has undercut them in terms of the take.
Me too.. but I think there must be a ton of legal (or otherwise corporate, patent, etc) quagmire now that's basically a massive barrier to entry at this point for anyone else. A half decent coder could probably create a similar app in one afternoon, and back when the ride sharing was new ground it was a bit of a wild west.. but I think those days are gone

Still, if you could keep the app strictly as a pass through and take a small cut, or just generate revenue from ads, or some other means, then I bet you could grab a lot of drivers. Also, by advertising that you pay your drivers a fair and reasonable wage you also be speaking to the whole Maslows heirarchy thing and appeal to the millennial :eek: crowd. I have many friends who refuse to ride Uber because of the whole Travis Kalanick history, etc. Which honestly, having ridden in both Lyft and Uber, the Lyft rides kind of suck.. they are sparser, and, in my experience the cars have been pretty beat up with not the best drivers.. I always have a very solid, almost chauffeur like experience with Uber. Lyft feels much more "cabby" to me

I contend that it’s a typical tech startup, and that shift was not only known to have to take place, but planned by the company. They certainly would never SAY that, but it’s the repetitive MO of most California modern tech companies.

Promise the world knowing that what you’re promising isn’t economically possible, and then milk investors to ramp up size and brand awareness, then start the planned slow slide back into reality and stiff the employees, investors, and customers slowly until reality is factored back in.

Then notice the company isn’t profitable or barely so, and bail to start the next great big thing/startup. Pretend that nothing went wrong at the last one. Always the market’s fault or someone else’s.

See: Elon Musk. But it’s not just him, there’s a long line of similar “leaders” doing the same.

Uber knew what they promised wasn’t possible. Nobody made them deliver. Not yet anyway.

I contend that it’s a typical tech startup, and that shift was not only known to have to take place, but planned by the company. They certainly would never SAY that, but it’s the repetitive MO of most California modern tech companies.

Promise the world knowing that what you’re promising isn’t economically possible, and then milk investors to ramp up size and brand awareness, then start the planned slow slide back into reality and stiff the employees, investors, and customers slowly until reality is factored back in.

Then notice the company isn’t profitable or barely so, and bail to start the next great big thing/startup. Pretend that nothing went wrong at the last one. Always the market’s fault or someone else’s.

See: Elon Musk. But it’s not just him, there’s a long line of similar “leaders” doing the same.

Uber knew what they promised wasn’t possible. Nobody made them deliver. Not yet anyway.
you should watch the Hulu special on the Fyre Festival, if you haven't already. Crazy

you should watch the Hulu special on the Fyre Festival, if you haven't already. Crazy

Yeah. Quite entertaining I’ve heard. Know the cliffs notes but haven’t taken the time to watch it yet.

But there’s a big difference between a one time festival being run by idiots and publicly traded companies. Stack the BoD and so much for corporate governance. Especially when they sit on each other’s Boards. Which is usually the other MO in Slick Valley.

The interview with the former Expedia CEO running them was severely milquetoast on CNBC a bit ago. Exciting words like “I’d be disappointed if we don’t show a profit in three years...” Ya think? LOL.

Stock still plastered and down 30% for the year.

He said Q2 was “messy” from an accounting standpoint. And the Market is “sending us a message”. And “Investors won’t accept growth at any cost”.

Again, ya think? LOL.

A tip in the setting of Uber or any other customarily non-tipped position is given as a gesture by the tipper to recognize exceptional service. It doesn't distort anything.

As long as Uber is employing (or contracting) with human drivers they have no financial future. The drivers are just placeholders while the JohnnyCab technology gets developed.

A tip in the setting of Uber or any other customarily non-tipped position is given as a gesture by the tipper to recognize exceptional service. It doesn't distort anything.
You missed what I said “that sort of tip nonsense” referred to the posts I was replying to that say a tip is required for these people to live. That you are scum if you don’t always tip.

Back