Michigan registration sticker

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I am based in Nevada but buying a summer home in Michigan. The State of Michigan says I have to get a registration sticker if my plane is in the state for more than 90 days. Does anyone have a picture of how big they are?

Do they come off easily when renewing for a new year?

I really don't like the idea of putting stickers on my nice paint job.

When I bought it, it had a Rhode Island sticker on the ELT inspection port, but Michigan said I would have to put a sticker on each side. The lady at the office could not tell me if they are easy to remove or if they are like license plate stickers that never come off.

I've never put it on. They are about 2x2, maybe 2w x 3h. It always sat in the glove box or sleeve with the registration and a/w cert. Never got questioned. Where's the second home?

I've never put it on. They are about 2x2, maybe 2w x 3h. It always sat in the glove box or sleeve with the registration and a/w cert. Never got questioned. Where's the second home?

Looking in the area just south of KPTK.

They are the same "tamper proof" kind of sticker that is on the license plates - getting them off cleanly is hard unless you have a several year thick pile of them. But even then it takes a bit of scraping to get the last of the sticker.

Did they also demand use tax (6%)?

You do get a "free" airport guide...

They come off easily with heat. They take paint off if pealed off cold. Ask me how I know.

The state tax office said if it is primarily based in Nevada, there would be no use tax for being in Michigan part of the year.

Has anyone run into trouble with not having the sticker on the plane (just in an envelope in the plane)?

The state tax office said if it is primarily based in Nevada, there would be no use tax for being in Michigan part of the year.

Has anyone run into trouble with not having the sticker on the plane (just in an envelope in the plane)?

Owned since 2004, never put one on, never had an issue. They don't do ramp checks.

Unless you change your mailing address to Michigan or your permanent address to Michigan where the plane shows up in the state with a paper trail you're not even have to worry about it

Unless you change your mailing address to Michigan or your permanent address to Michigan where the plane shows up in the state with a paper trail you're not even have to worry about it

Renting a hangar long term, they want to see a Michigan registration.

I’d just say no.

Frankly they will have about a zero point zero chance of proving the plane didn’t fly across a state line in the last 90 days.

Just say no to theft.

I’ve had a few places ask for stuff like that, I just say it’s for business (aviation related) and I don’t have a full time tail number for them, never been a issue.

That's why you need to get away from the Detroit area. Not part of a lease agreement on the best, er, west side of the state. File a claim of exemption since it's based on Nevada.

registration form https://mdotjboss.state.mi.us/webforms/GetDocument.htm?fileName=4004.pdf
Aircraft based in Michigan for more than 90 days, during a calendar year, must either be registered with the State of Michigan, or have a Claim of Exemption accepted by the Aeronautics Commission.

Fee: One (1) cent per pound of the maximum gross weight or the maximum gross takeoff weight of the aircraft, whichever is greater.

Exemption form https://mdotcf.state.mi.us/public/webforms/public/4006.pdf

259.76 Registration of aircraft generally.
Sec. 76 (1) An aircraft tied down, moored, hangared, or based within this state and the number assigned to that aircraft by the federal aviation administration shall be registered annually with the commission and a registration fee paid. An aircraft shall not be issued a state registration certificate when it does not have a valid and effective registration certificate as issued by the federal aviation administration or a foreign government.
(2) An aircraft shall be subject to the registration provisions of this act except when it is one of the following:
(a) An aircraft engaged in scheduled passenger service flying in interstate or foreign commerce or in that part of interstate or foreign commerce which is intrastate in character, and operating exclusively under the provisions of a federal certificate issued under 14 CFR Part 121.
(b) An aircraft owned by the United States government.
(c) An aircraft of a resident of another state or an aircraft of a resident of this state that is tied down, moored, hangared, or based within another state, having complied with the registration requirements of that state, and operating within this state for a period of not more than 90 days in a calendar year. This aircraft shall not engage in intrastate commercial activity within this state.
(d) Aircraft owned by or registered to the United States, aircraft or the civil air patrol, or aircraft licensed by a foreign country with which the United States has reciprocal relations. This aircraft shall not engage in commercial activity within this state.
(e) An aircraft which, in the opinion of the commission, is in a condition that would reasonably preclude its operation during the registration period.

Look carefully at this:
https://www.michigan.gov/taxes/0,1607,7-238-44079-155877--,00.html

Same here. We just put in the the registration sleeve. I'm thinking that in the unlikely event that we get ramp-checked, we can still put it on.

Same here. We just put in the the registration sleeve. I'm thinking that in the unlikely event that we get ramp-checked, we can still put it on.

And if I do get asked, I will ask if they are going to pay for a paint job when it gets taken off, and if they will put that in writing. My answer to their request will be the same as the answer to my question to them. Of course, I also refuse to put my registration sticker on my license plate, because there's nothing in the MCL to say that I have to. I have it, and like the plane sticker it sits in the glove box.

It looks like it can be exempt if "This aircraft is based in another state and is not operated in Michigan for more than 90 days per calendar year. Please provide state in which aircraft is based."

If it just sits in a hangar and is not flown, it is hard for them to argue that it has been "operated". Even I kept it in Michigan for 5 months, I would not fly it on 90 different days.

Seems like some of this would come down to your ‘address of record’ & State residency. I think you’d be better off keeping NV anyway.

Just come visit MI, 6 months, whatever, but keep the important stuff NV, drivers license, etc.. I’d just try to figure something out if the hangar landlord wants to see some sticker. Find another rental spot.

When I bought my C-150 back in the '80s, it had an Arizona state registration sticker on it. I had never heard of a State being allowed to register aircraft. Shortly after, the FAA/USG determined that states could not register aircraft, since it was a Federal Government system. The stickers came off, but other states continued to require stickers, not as registrations, but as Tax stamps.

The weasels figured out a way to work around the FAA in order to ensure state residents payed lots of tax money. In Texas, it is specifically forbidden by law to have a state document for an aircraft...

And if I do get asked, I will ask if they are going to pay for a paint job when it gets taken off, and if they will put that in writing. My answer to their request will be the same as the answer to my question to them. Of course, I also refuse to put my registration sticker on my license plate, because there's nothing in the MCL to say that I have to. I have it, and like the plane sticker it sits in the glove box.

If I got asked I’d not answer.

Burden of proof is on them, and unless they want to dump tons of man hours into doing some no doubt anti 4A stuff, good luck proving the plane was there for 90 days.

Not sure why folks support looters.

Seems like some of this would come down to your ‘address of record’ & State residency. I think you’d be better off keeping NV anyway.

Just come visit MI, 6 months, whatever, but keep the important stuff NV, drivers license, etc.. I’d just try to figure something out if the hangar landlord wants to see some sticker. Find another rental spot.

I fully intend to keep my home in Nevada, my Nevada drivers license and my hangar at the Reno airport. The address with the FAA will remain my Nevada address and I will still pay county taxes to Washoe County, Nevada.

ADSB...... but it’s not for tracking, only safety.

2D048247-F9AF-4F73-82A8-FF78BBA8D278.gif

But legit, that’s like reason #528 why having anonymous mode is so very important.

Put down a less-sticky piece of tape, apply sticker to tape.
or
Apply release agent to fuselage, apply sticker over release agent.

1978 Maryland enacted a registration requirement. We registered the club 172. The pilots of the state sued, claiming we were already registered with the FAA, and Federal pre empted state. Example, cars with Federal issued tags did not have to have state tags for the state where located. Maryland lost, I peeled the sticker, and it is in my first log book, as a souvenir.

One of their mistakes in writing the law, they included a box n the registration sticker where they included the Federal registration number, to keep you from transferring it to another plane. Proof right on the sticker that the plane was already Federally registered.

I would not be inclined to get a sticker for a plane based out of state, and if queried, ask them if the state vehicle they drive has registration that is accepted if they travel out of state? Automobiles have reciprocity, airplanes have Federal registration.

Back