Cover for Luscombe

Arnold

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Arnold
Plane covers in Salisbury, MD has shutdown. Are there any other options in addition to Bruce's. I don't have anything against Bruce's, I just like to know my options. An acquaintance is a seamstress any thoughts on the key aspects I need to tell her should I hire her to do the work.

Not sure of other options, but if you end up going with Bruce’s you won’t be disappointed. I love my full cabin cover with extended wing roots to cover the fuel caps. Good luck in your search. Gotta be other choices out there.

Not sure of other options, but if you end up going with Bruce’s you won’t be disappointed. I love my full cabin cover with extended wing roots to cover the fuel caps. Good luck in your search. Gotta be other choices out there.

Thanks.

C8C9CF1A-5837-4CB3-A800-6F08398FD081.jpeg 0D6481CF-4154-4D8E-8196-579D88FED938.jpeg
Paging @Huckster79

He made his own covers for his Cessna 140.
Link to one of the threads that may be helpful:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/prop-spinner-cover-assistance.116910/#post-2682327

Certainly can be done... I did it for a bit over $100 maybe $150... now that’s not counting labor!!!! Now it’s a hellova cover and with a Continental that marks her territory I was even able to add a drain hose to stick in the breather so any territory marking marks it’s territory not the inside of my cover.

I made a template out of poster board stuck together then cheap blankets, then the real thing. In hindsight I would have not done the poster board - it was too rigid and therefore inaccurate... I would also not use a stretchy material for the initial pattern- use a fabric but stiff.

I think then the labor wouldn’t be too bad. I did this with only basic sewing skills and a singer from the 1920s... if one doesn’t have a commercial machine you need an oldie to be heavy duty enough...

Mine is a nylon like a backpack material, 80grams of thinsulate and then a jacket liner on inside facing the paint- so it’s kind of a silky feel...

Very happy with it and I think I looked it would have been 600 from Bruce’s. With labor factored in Bruce’s is by no means a rip off! But if you like DIY projects it can be done and I’ll lend any advice I can.

Disreguard the lines in one photo, that was for my mechanic as I sprung a oil leak and showing him where it was, turned out to be oil drain valve o-ring- ez fix but glad it went out on a short flight!

Last edited:
95EF4A2B-EE6B-41D7-885D-6FA1DAC72CA4.jpeg

My custom vent hose hook up...

I do need to tweak it before winter so it cinches tighter on back end and then add two straps to go back to wing strut to keep cover from slipping forward

Last edited:
Back