Airline route detours

That is weird. Maybe direct would have threatened their 45-60min planned late rating.

That looks like an ATC reroute before they even left the ground. Many of the STARS are set up for planning 10 miles in trail, near the end. With that weather Saturday the arrivals SW into ORD would be impacted by weather.

We were just a few hours earlier out of DFW, very similar route change from ‘normal’. We ended up over MEM & BNA then towards MZZ. One can ask for shortcuts as weather allows, often the answer is ‘unable’. An hour out or ORD expect vectors & speed control for spacing.

I had a serious reroute a while back after airborne. When it wasn’t busy I queried ATC, ‘you do know we don’t take off with full fuel normally’. Yes, I know, not their call, usually they try to do what they can. I also realize there are the usual assortment of planes flying.

That looks like an ATC reroute before they even left the ground.

I agree. Here's one that happened to us a little while ago (apologies for the crummy picture):

IMG_4224.jpg

By the time we got to southern Georgia, the arrival from the south to LGA opened back up and we were offered more direct routing. It meant we had to tangle with the weather and get creative to burn some of the extra fuel, but it got us back on time.

The arrivals from the southwest of Chicago were closed off due to the weather, so traffic from that direction had to go join an arrival from the southeast to get into O’Hare. That area has to blend in all the traffic from the southwest with the normal traffic from the southeast, which looks like it happened over KY.

I agree. Here's one that happened to us a little while ago (apologies for the crummy picture):

View attachment 78063

By the time we got to southern Georgia, the arrival from the south to LGA opened back up and we were offered more direct routing. It meant we had to tangle with the weather and get creative to burn some of the extra fuel, but it got us back on time.

Just a small tornado on that route.... ADSB should be good enough......

View attachment 78063

oh THAT. that’s just the Great Meridian route, which is really the shortest route.

heh,heh.

TMU routing maybe? Here is a reroute we received right before push at LAX...ugh, ops we're gonna need a bit more gas. Every request for a short cut was denied since we were on a "TMU routing." Original routing was pretty much direct to JFK. Ended up being a 6.5+ hour flight.

Like Larry said, it's Traffic Management Unit. Hopefully a controller will chime in here because, (in my best Randy Quaid voice)...I'm pilot, I fly! :D Think of it this way, ATC (controllers) work at the tactical level and TMU works at the strategic level. TMU looks at the bigger picture of what's going on the US and manages flow so as not to overload an airspace. Check out the link below.

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/weather/tfm_support/overview/

Back