Could I ignite a helium balloon by shooting a model rocket at it?

Magnesium would make brillian white hot flames once you get it to burn. It's the stuff they put in flash bulbs and they used to dump some into our training fires back in the day. Putting water on it makes it worse as the fire burns so hot it disassociates the water
They use magnesium to make ductile iron and ths reaction is fun to see.

I think you have the magnesium confused with sodium or another group I metal; I buy it as ribbons or powder. Maybe it will make sparkles.

Magnesium, once you get it burning, burns very bright white. It won't contribute to the bang, but it'll make it a lot more visible. Pretty sure they use magnesium for exactly that purpose in fireworks.

But yeah, sodium or lithium would be fun too. All of them would be completely unnecessary... Just like the whole thing is, really. :D

Man, I have some old magnesium rims left over from the olden days.......what to do with them.?? :devil:

I think you have the magnesium confused with sodium or another group I metal; I buy it as ribbons or powder. Maybe it will make sparkles.

As for igniting it, most small rockets (I think) burn their fuel and coast for a while on momentum. This means there isn't really a flame during this period of flight. They have some sort of internal fusing for exploding (fireworks) or kicking off a parachute or next stage (models). So lighting off the hydrogen is going to require some timing as well as aim, if I'm correct.
That is correct. You won't want your balloon too high or the rocket motor will burn out before it gets there. Using a 2 stage model for an extended burn might be a good idea or maybe you could coat the exterior of the rocket with something flammable and light it on fire immediately before launch....

I also vote for 6PC doing this at night to make the explosion more visible ;)

That is correct. You won't want your balloon too high or the rocket motor will burn out before it gets there. Using a 2 stage model for an extended burn might be a good idea or maybe you could coat the exterior of the rocket with something flammable and light it on fire immediately before launch....

I also vote for 6PC doing this at night to make the explosion more visible ;)

I feel a 2nd YT channel coming on.

My incendiary bombs (WWII era) were full of magnesium. Once you get it going it burns real hot and it's hard to stop.

Alright... Started...

Cute, funny.

Please- next time, safety glasses! Acids concentrated enough for the video are concentrated enough to put you in a world of hurt if it gets into your eyes. Good with the gloves.

This is always fun...setting off flammable liquids:
JAK_5986.jpg

Back