an unusual medical exam?

lbfjrmd

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Senior AME/ATC AME
airman writing to me:

He then had me lay on my back and gave a testicle exam, had me stand and touch my toes and looked at my rectum.

I was fairly uncomfortable at this point, but have heard if you don’t comply with Dr’s requests they may fail you, especially since he told me he failed the previous 5 applicants for various deficiencies. I have been told since he only does pilot exams and immigration exams one day per week.

me: very atypical. exam of the genitalia, breasts, anus is not required of the FAA AME. You have every right to report to the FAA. Use a different AME next time.

Bad apple in every bushel!

after retiring I took a part-time position as a school crossing guard. after a few years the city decided that all crossing guards had to take and pass a bi-annual physical consisting of an eye exam, hearing exam and range of motion. I made the appointment and went in to see the contracted doctor. after taking, and passing, all three exams he pulls out a rubber glove, snaps it on his hand and tells me to drop trou.

"Huh? umm, that's NOT part of the required exam", I say.

"Well", he says, "As long as we're here wanna give it a go?!"

"No, thanks,", laughing says I. "You haven't bought me dinner yet".

I did report the unusual encounter to the person overseeing the guards. Two-years later, same doc only this time no rubber glove was produced and the exam stopped after the required eye, hearing and range of motion.

to the OP...report the doc and find another.

after retiring I took a part-time position as a school crossing guard. after a few years the city decided that all crossing guards had to take and pass a bi-annual physical consisting of an eye exam, hearing exam and range of motion. I made the appointment and went in to see the contracted doctor. after taking, and passing, all three exams he pulls out a rubber glove, snaps it on his hand and tells me to drop trou.

"Huh? umm, that's NOT part of the required exam", I say.

"Well", he says, "As long as we're here wanna give it a go?!"

"No, thanks,", laughing says I. "You haven't bought me dinner yet".

I did report the unusual encounter to the person overseeing the guards. Two-years later, same doc only this time no rubber glove was produced and the exam stopped after the required eye, hearing and range of motion.

to the OP...report the doc and find another.
My first exam after moving to Denver was with a very nice doc. He had me drop 'em. While he was checking, he asked, "what do you do for a living?" I laughed, "I'm not crazy enough to tell you now!"

No reason to drop trou for a basic med exam.
Or in general. A guy knows his junk well and will know when something is not right. Prostate exams are different, and good preventative.. but I always believed the ball fondling was perverse and unnecessary

Doctors get an unwarranted free pass for a lot of questionable behavior

last time I went in for an exam, he said, take your pants off and drop your boxers.

Looking around, there was no place to put my pants as the room was basically empty.

Doc moved out from behind the stand up computer dolly and said with a smile, "you can put them next to mine"

:blowingkisses:

My first medical was with an old Cuban doc in FL when I was in college.. Got the ungloved ball sifting around job. As it was my first medical and most check ups i had at that point was for sports I thought nothing of it. Until my next medicals didn’t include that.
Now as a PA who does a lot of wellness physicals- often ppl treat a routine work exam or physical for a cert as their be all yearly exam even though they may get it every few. Even though it’s not required for the form to be filled out- I will offer and document refusal of was it considered preventative health measures. From a medical legal standpoint you have to at least offer and document. Some of the ole docs I can easily look at their one encounter as an opportunity to leave no stone unturned as a duty.

My first medical was with an old Cuban doc in FL when I was in college.. Got the ungloved ball sifting around job. As it was my first medical and most check ups i had at that point was for sports I thought nothing of it. Until my next medicals didn’t include that.
Now as a PA who does a lot of wellness physicals- often ppl treat a routine work exam or physical for a cert as their be all yearly exam even though they may get it every few. Even though it’s not required for the form to be filled out- I will offer and document refusal of was it considered preventative health measures. From a medical legal standpoint you have to at least offer and document. Some of the ole docs I can easily look at their one encounter as an opportunity to leave no stone unturned as a duty.
I had a younger one who felt the same way. He's giving you a physical, so he's giving you a physical. I know others who felt he was too intrusive. I didn't care...especially when he saved my medical from what could have been a long delay.

Might want to look at the checklist the doctors are told to use for the exam. Hint: it includes the word "anus"
There's no requirement for a physical anus exam. The anus requirement can be satisfied by a discussion of history. It's in the AME Guide.

I have no problem with the prostate exam, as long as his/her fingernails are trimmed!!

I got a full monty prostate exam during my first medical in 2002. I was 25.

Many moons ago finger waves were the usual. At least for Class II’s which I got yearly. Then they quit being mandatory. After that a Doc said it isn’t mandatory any more but if you want one I’ll do it, no extra charge. I said yeah. Prostate cancer ain’t funny

Sounds like he’s a former flight surgeon. Lucky he didn’t get the finger. :(

airman writing to me:

He then had me lay on my back and gave a testicle exam, had me stand and touch my toes and looked at my rectum.

I was fairly uncomfortable at this point, but have heard if you don’t comply with Dr’s requests they may fail you, especially since he told me he failed the previous 5 applicants for various deficiencies. I have been told since he only does pilot exams and immigration exams one day per week.

me: very atypical. exam of the genitalia, breasts, anus is not required of the FAA AME. You have every right to report to the FAA. Use a different AME next time.

Bad apple in every bushel!

This was a male “doctor” who was molesting a female?!

Report to the FAA? Lol are you high? This isn’t a FAA matter, this is a police matter, she needs to go to the local police department and make a report.

I’m surprised he’s gotten away with this for as long as he has, some husbands/fathers/brothers don’t take kindly for this crap, many a wannabe sexual predator have met their maker for far less.

Hmm? A female patient wouldn’t require a testicular exam, last I checked.

He also said breasts, ether way, this is police report stuff, not FAA “administrative law” stuff. Maybe report to the FAA after he’s in jail.

Many moons ago finger waves were the usual. At least for Class II’s which I got yearly. Then they quit being mandatory. After that a Doc said it isn’t mandatory any more but if you want one I’ll do it, no extra charge. I said yeah. Prostate cancer ain’t funny

That's what the PSA test is for. Haven't had the finger wave since my last Navy flight physical.

My doc does the "digital exam" at my yearly physical, and he's been practicing for a very long time. He says he has NEVER found anything that way, but still thinks they are a good idea. I trust him.

One should really research an agreeable AME before making an appointment. There was a time I’d go to any, no biggie. As I moved around more I went to one or two where I asked myself. ‘Who would ever go to that Doc twice’.

Now I’m happy to travel a bit to go to my favorite. Yeah, if I have to get something checked out, I’ll go somewhere else.

Just remember you can get your student pilots license at 16, how would you feel if the “doctor” did that to your 16yr old kid or grandkid?

Maybe I'm a prude but the whole thing is weird and perverse. Healthy people shouldn't have to get fondled. Pretty sure guys will know if something is wrong down there and seek help accordingly

And an anus exam? WTF? If we're talking about prostate cancer then 60% of men are diagnosed at the age of 65 ot greater. The disease very rarely occurs before age 40. Having some dude stick their finger up your ass when you are 25 is perverse

Statistically as well, the CDC has a geographic state map showing cancer rates for this. The most populated states have a fairly low likelihood, less than 100 in 100,000 men

F that noise.

Just remember you can get your student pilots license at 16, how would you feel if the “doctor” did that to your 16yr old kid or grandkid?

Probably wouldn’t get that type of treatment for that age. I’ve had all of the above happen during basic physicals, military MEPS physicals and military flight physicals. I don’t know if the extra attention is optional or what but I think the doc was either doing it for my best interest (Prostate/ testicular cancer) or they were required by military reg. Either way, it’s not exactly a traumatic experience.

Probably wouldn’t get that type of treatment for that age. I’ve had all of the above happen during basic physicals, military MEPS physicals and military flight physicals. I don’t know if the extra attention is optional or what but I think the doc was either doing it for my best interest (Prostate/ testicular cancer) or they were required by military reg. Either way, it’s not exactly a traumatic experience.

Sorry, but if it’s not called for on your boxes to check, and it involves something under ones underwear, you’re not being a doc, you’re being a creep and should be dealt with like any other creep.

I’m sure there are lots of large males in prison who would love to play butt games with him.

Slow learner?
No. Overly cautious, thorough, and preventative. I'll take it. Why folks get all stressed out about this is beyond me. If it has a one-in-a-thousand or even ten-thousand chance of catching something that might save your life, why not? I don't look forward to or enjoy the procedure, but I don't have yearly checkups because I enjoy doctor visits.. I go to catch problems that may otherwise go unnoticed and become BIG problems. If that makes me and/or my doctor "slow learners," I'll live with that... and hopefully longer than I would have without it. It's only a traumatic event if you make it one in your mind.

Sorry, but if it’s not called for on your boxes to check, and it involves something under ones underwear, you’re not being a doc, you’re being a creep and should be dealt with like any other creep.
I agree with that. Just for clarity, my comments were based upon regular yearly checkups with trusted and respected GPs and PCPs, not AMEs... although I don't think you were responding to my posts.. just that ours were following each others.

No. Overly cautious, thorough, and preventative. I'll take it. Why folks get all stressed out about this is beyond me. If it has a one-in-a-thousand or even ten-thousand chance of catching something that might save your life, why not? I don't look forward to or enjoy the procedure, but I don't have yearly checkups because I enjoy doctor visits.. I go to catch problems that may otherwise go unnoticed and become BIG problems. If that makes me and/or my doctor "slow learners," I'll live with that... and hopefully longer than I would have without it. It's only a traumatic event if you make it one in your mind.
Not traumatic, but it he's been practicing that long and never once found anything with a digital exam... :: shrug :: I'll go by the PSA numbers that I get every single time I go in for a physical. The DRE isn't traumatic, just inconvenient and seems unnecessary.

I’m sure there are lots of large males in prison who would love to play butt games with him.

Every 17 year old that goes in for a MEPS physical has been instructed to bend over and spread ‘em. They’ve gotten the sac grab and cough as well. It’s standard procedure. I’m sure the docs aren’t doing that a hundred times a day because they enjoy it. I’ve gotten the DRE at only 23 while applying for an Army class 1F. I’m sure the doc doesn’t get off on doing it. I sure didn’t. Unless you’re extremely shy or weak, none of that should be traumatic.

As far as the whole “fondle” thing, my family doc did a testicular exam a few years back. Definitely not required and I had never had one before but it wasn’t creepy in the least bit. Very informative and might save my life one day.

Every high school sports physical I got involved the turning of the head and cough (including the one my gf’s dad gave me, but thats a different story). Of course this was in the early 80’s.

Every 17 year old that goes in for a MEPS physical has been instructed to bend over and spread ‘em. They’ve gotten the sac grab and cough as well. It’s standard procedure. I’m sure the docs aren’t doing that a hundred times a day because they enjoy it. I’ve gotten the DRE at only 23 while applying for an Army class 1F. I’m sure the doc doesn’t get off on doing it. I sure didn’t. Unless you’re extremely shy or weak, none of that should be traumatic.

As far as the whole “fondle” thing, my family doc did a testicular exam a few years back. Definitely not required and I had never had one before but it wasn’t creepy in the least bit. Very informative and might save my life one day.

Riiiiiiiiiight
What does that have to do with anything?

We are NOT talking about mutual gay sex, MEPS, urologists, prostate exams etc, we are talking about a AME and a fricking FAA physical.

Let try this
Going in for a prostate exam, guy sticks his finger in your butt : OK
Going in for a hair cut, guy stick is finger in your butt : Police

Again, for the people in the back of the class, if its not required on the little box checking list, if it involves a part of your body covered by your underwear, you are no longer getting a physical, you're getting molested by a dude, now unless youre into that sort of thing you might want to do something about it.

Riiiiiiiiiight
What does that have to do with anything?

We are NOT talking about mutual gay sex, MEPS, urologists, prostate exams etc, we are talking about a AME and a fricking FAA physical.

Let try this
Going in for a prostate exam, guy sticks his finger in your butt : OK
Going in for a hair cut, guy stick is finger in your butt : Police

Again, for the people in the back of the class, if its not required on the little box checking list, if it involves a part of your body covered by your underwear, you are no longer getting a physical, you're getting molested by a dude, now unless youre into that sort of thing you might want to do something about it.

It’s about accusing an AME of being a perv just because they went beyond the standard. I don’t think that’s necessarily the case here.

I gave examples where all this is the norm. If it is the norm is some instances, then what’s the big deal if a doc does it if it’s not required?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back