PIREP: iPhone Xs Max & ForeFlight

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I made the mistake of stopping in a Verizon store to ask a couple of questions about my plan options. I casually asked when they expected the new iPhones in. Unfortunately, he said, "We have them in back! What would you like to see?"

Dang. My iPhone 7 Plus had served well for almost two years, but that Xs Max screen was gorgeous and the two large bands of wasted space at the top and bottom were now full color, usable screen! With the trade-in offer I succumbed.

I've now run it for a week and I'm quite pleased, especially with ForeFlight (which is a backup to my 2.5 year old iPad Pro.) Zooms and scrolls are screaming fast and smooth. It really works well.

I also like the FaceID feature, although I had concerns it could handle this face!

Attached is a screenshot of FF on it.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1c05.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1c05.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I’m staying away ,from the I phone store.Thanks for posting.

I took the max in my hand for the first time today, a buddy of mine already got it. Heading to Best Buy tomorrow to see how much will give for the X I have . Man that screen is awesome

I'm tempted, but it's more want than need.

And I'm in similar camp as Kent about FF and these phablets... we need the iPad version and it's additional features available to the large screen phones.

I'm tempted, but it's more want than need.

And I'm in similar camp as Kent about FF and these phablets... we need the iPad version and it's additional features available to the large screen phones.

Since the last major update the phone version is darn close. Only a couple of items I can think of that I miss.

@LDJones I just traded in my X for the Xs Max yesterday. Nice big screen as you said. I've already put FF on it but haven't actually flown with it yet. Thinking about buying a mount and putting it on the yoke. I have an iPad but it's the 10" and really doesn't work on the 172 yoke. The iOS version isn't as feature rich as the iPad version, but will just keep the iPad on my knee or in the right seat.

Have you flown with it and if you did, did you mount your Xs Max?

I got the max too, what a beautiful huge screen. Coming from a I7 the user interface is intuitive and easy to learn. Facial recognition is a no brainer. The only thing I don’t like is how I now have to tilt the phone towards me to unlock it. I’ll get used to it for the added features. Super fast... now if ForeFlight could unlock features available to on the iPad I will be super happy (S.V). I emailed them a few times for the support... no added support. Maybe a few of you guys would email them in support of it and they will change their mind.

I got the max too, what a beautiful huge screen. Coming from a I7 the user interface is intuitive and easy to learn. Facial recognition is a no brainer. The only thing I don’t like is how I now have to tilt the phone towards me to unlock it. I’ll get used to it for the added features. Super fast... now if ForeFlight could unlock features available to on the iPad I will be super happy (S.V). I emailed them a few times for the support... no added support. Maybe a few of you guys would email them in support of it and they will change their mind.

Yeah, something along the lines of now that Apple has released the Max it would be nice to have it full featured to use on the yoke. I'll write them a note.

@LDJones I just traded in my X for the Xs Max yesterday. Nice big screen as you said. I've already put FF on it but haven't actually flown with it yet. Thinking about buying a mount and putting it on the yoke. I have an iPad but it's the 10" and really doesn't work on the 172 yoke. The iOS version isn't as feature rich as the iPad version, but will just keep the iPad on my knee or in the right seat.

Have you flown with it and if you did, did you mount your Xs Max?

I've flown with it several times with students, but have not yet bothered to mount it.

Old thread, but still relevant. Although the XS Max is no longer the coolest kid on the block, how is ForeFlight on the bigger iPhones? I’m tempted to upgrade my 8 to one of the new ones, but i don’t know if it’d be worth it. I like the iPad layout, and feel the phone version is limited. Or maybe I just don’t know how to use it (winds aloft for example for flight planning)

Is the 11 bigger than the XS Max? I left my iPad at home when I got the 7+. That was replaced with an XS Max. Love it. I added a Nato Mount to the glare shields of both planes. Garmin Pilot on the XS Max makes the old Aera obsolete.

5E51E492-65A0-4678-BD37-8725E41FADB7.jpeg

Last edited:
My iPhone 8 screws up my compass card. Glareshield mount inop. :(

Is the 11 bigger than the XS Max? I left my iPad at home when I got the 7+. That was replaced with an XS Max. Love it. I added a Nato Mount to the glare shields of both planes. Garmin Pilot on the XS Max makes the old Aera obsolete.

View attachment 78040
I believe the 11 Pro Max is a similar size as the XS Max. The 11 Pro is the smallest of the three new ones.

Back