12v power source

Sam D

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Sam D
What's the cheapest/easiest way to create a power source for bench testing things like nav lights. Just get a 12v battery?

i believe a 9V regular battery will let you test things like nav lights

12V battery, or build one out of a surplus computer power supply.

What's the cheapest/easiest way to create a power source for bench testing things like nav lights. Just get a 12v battery?
Define cheap. If testing portable items use the battery on your vehicle or riding lawn mower. But if want a dedicated bench source a couple 6v lantern batteries, extra power adapters with required output, etc. Have used various methods over the years but if need to check any higher amperage items a more conventional battery would be better.

When it finally became time to power the main bus on my homebuilt I was scared to death to hook up the battery. I had no idea if the hundreds of wires i had installed were really done properly. I had visions of my entire panel turning into a smoking mess.

Someone suggested i use a simple 9 volt battery to test most of my systems. Not knowing much about electrical sustems i was kind of shocked that it worked through my main bus. I just alligator clipped the tiny battery to my battery cables and it worked like a charm. One benefit was that there was not enough power in the 9 volt to do serious damage to any of my systems.

Of course it depends on the load. If you're testing non-led strobes, for example, it probably wont work.

Thanks all. Just the kind of input I was looking for. Lots of good ideas here.

They have a variety of units depending on your requirements. I have used these switching power supplies for a long time to power amateur radio transmitters.CAD7E8F7-1CC9-49EE-A0DC-FD867DD9F1E5.png

On the models I have purchased, you can adjust the regulated output voltage between 5 to 15 volts dc.

I thought battery chargers were current sources, not voltage sources?

Also, good job testing lights before installing them.

They have a variety of units depending on your requirements. I have used these switching power supplies for a long time to power amateur radio transmitters.View attachment 78007

I bought the 10 amp model of this power supply to use on my bench. I've powered up various avionics with it, it works well. And, it'll be what I use to power up my instrument panel for the first time when I get it put together.

Back