Airport planning beyond fuel price?

N1120A

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
N1120A
Did a flight to HHR yesterday to go pick up something in DTLA, and there were numerous factors that led me there.

1) I checked the Google Maps traffic map, and it was the second quickest to my location, after KEMT. Faster than KSMO or KBUR, the two other airports I consider for DTLA (KLAX is out, for obvious reasons. KVNY/KWHP and everyone else is farther. KCPM has no tower.), at that time of day.

2) KEMT and KSMO would have meant no crew car (KSMO has them, but you have to buy overpriced gas from Atlantic, instead of parking at transient). I don't think KEMT has crew cars anyway. Crew car saves $40+ in Uber/Lyft.

3) KEMT is kinda hard to spot and wedged in a bit, while KHHR has a good approach and you get vectored straight into the airport.

4) Gas at KHHR is competitively priced, so I'm happy to top off there and not be a freeloader.

OTOH, I flew into KOAK earlier this week and paid a landing fee and an overnight parking fee at Kaiser, though they did give me 60 cents off a gallon of gas since I took over 30. Why there instead of KHWD? Much closer to where I was going and the Uber/Lyft alone would have gotten eaten up. Excellent approaches and good services, plus my plane was nicely taken care of.

What other considerations do you give when considering where to fly in?

What the total cost is going to be. Sometimes I dont get fuel, sometimes I do.

I mean that pretty much covers it right? Cost, difficulty of the field, availability and difficulty/cost of the ground transportation, and convenience of location. Only thing left would be stuff like availability of services and intangibles like some kind of cool scenery, friendliness of the line personnel, etc.

Only thing left would be stuff like availability of services and intangibles like some kind of cool scenery, friendliness of the line personnel, etc.
Oddly enough, I often give bonus points to airports not already in my logbook.

Fuel price is usually the biggest factor, and then of course landing/parking fees. And also taken into consideration, friendliness of the staff. If weather is looking iffy, then available approaches become a big factor, I'm a sucker for a good ILS. Let's not leave out convenience to where I am going.

Went to visit my brother in DC about a month or so ago, one of the "DC 3" (airports, not the most badass airplane ever) was the closest to where I needed to be, but since I wasn't looking to get vetted for 6 months closely enough to become director of the CIA, I said to hell with it and flew into Dulles. Fuel there is BEYOND highway robbery (so I stopped just south of there and filled up), parking fees are not great (but not terrible, if you fly GA into there one of the two FBO's is much more reasonable than the other), but the staff there was super friendly, it was convenient to where I was going, so I felt good about my decision. Side note, Dulles is a very GA friendly Bravo airport.

Moral of the story, lots of factors. I do a lot of x-country GA flying, I pick airports like this....
1. Fuel Price (because that stuff adds up)
2. Parking/Landing Fees (It's a 172...don't try and take me to the cleaners to park it over in the grass somewhere)
3. Convenience (I need to be able to get to where I am going by land without incurring a big expense or excessive amount of time)
4. Friendliness of staff (I'll pay a few extra bucks to no deal with a-holes)
5. Approaches (Situationally dependent)...I love a good VOR-A approach, but sometimes a guy needs a good ILS

Where’s the nearest hotel? Restaurant? Is there a mechanic on site? Does surrounding area look like I need body armor (If stopping overnight, I usually walk to hotel)?

Tom

Food and gas. Since airports with restaurants are in short supply, I'll overlook finding the cheapest gas if there is a restaurant. Otherwise I'm looking for airports with courtesy car availability.

As a point A to point B traveler most of the time its proximity to my destination first.

Second, it used to be availability of Hertz (good contract) but Uber now plays a part, just depends on my ground transport needs.

Availability of approach if wx is a factor but the wide availability of RNAV approaches has eased the decision process.

Fuel price decisions are usually limited to cheapest on field if there’s a choice.

The only time I really get in a decision bind is when going to fish somewhere or to meet up with someone in some remote spot. Then Location, services, ground transport and such may take real research. More than once I’ve gotten on the phone to talk to owner/mgrs of private strips to see if things can be worked out. That works out about 50:50 but is very satisfying when it works well.

Never turned down an airport because of surrounding terrain but I may need to get out more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If it is a fuel stop I will pay a higher fuel price for an on field diner. If no diner I will look for a crew car if fuel prices are similar.

For destination, I'll do the total cost calculation...parking fee+min fuel purchase-discount (often the parking fee)+onward travel expense

I don't care about fuel prices. It's in the budget as an aircraft owner. The Nugget restraint in Sitka is a good place to stop, get the fish and chips.:)

I used to always read the AIRNAV reviews on the airport while making selections, but after I realized that AIRNAV allows their advertisers to sham the reviews, I gave up on that.

Counterpoint

Getting closest to one’s destination naturally takes you to places you may otherwise never visit. While I’d never go to a very busy Class B to visit someone in a city (there are natural alternatives), needing to pick up or drop off an airline passenger has taken me to KMIA and KEWR. Surprisingly, I didn’t buy gas or pay a dime in either case... just too far under the radar.

Availability of loaner cars never drives me. It just doesn’t work for overnight stays which is what I generally do. It is convenient when needed and in my experience, usually there when needed.

Fuel prices and overnight charges are generally set relative to the desirability of the airport’s location and facilities. After 12 years in Manhattan, well, location matters and it $$$.

I never call ahead for prices or (anything else). Calling ahead often seems to initiate the first steps in the billing process. Dropping in to pick/drop a passenger? Just do it. No one behind the desk wants to write up a ticket unless the place is really well managed. However, call if it’s an ‘R’.

Everything is negotiable in person. While I hate negotiating and generally don’t, being nice is often rewarded. Want to save money? Be nice, ask for a break, and negotiate.

Everyone at an FBO is working, and people work for money. Beyond basic fueling, I try to tip and people remember. Tips are cheaper than overnight and hangar fees. Tips are cheaper than ‘all the loaners are out’.

Favorite ploy; “I seem to be stuck, can you help me?”
It’s usually the truth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
runway length (esp regards expected DA)
surface type (asphalt/grass) & condition (ie "poor" asphalt is a no-go for some aircraft - and once I was surprised by a lack of snow-clearing; no notam) - (and the big guys need to watch weight limits, our airport had a temporary limit to biz jets)
alignment (if strong winds expected)
lighting, for night
approaches, if imc
services if needed (fuel, deice, hangar, outdoor electric for my engine heater when skiing)
fbo cookies, of course

I don't care about fuel prices. It's in the budget as an aircraft owner. The Nugget restraint in Sitka is a good place to stop, get the fish and chips.:)

The Nugget is the best airport restaurant on SE Alaska. Juneau's airport cafe is weak, but you can walk to Donna's or Mi Casa.

The Nugget is the best airport restaurant on SE Alaska. Juneau's airport cafe is weak, but you can walk to Donna's or Mi Casa.
We forgot to talk about the "Pie". Best pie in SE AK as well. Tami loves the Coconut/Banana Cream pie.

Nearby hotel with food and cheap transportation to get there,also a mechanic on the field. Runway length.

On good weather weekends I prefer to stay away from uncontrolled fields, though a great gas price will change my mind. I'm in a 172, and my final destination is usually a family visit, or RTB, so transport at the other end isn't too big a factor, since someone can usually pick me up. Also, Uber has lightened that load a lot, too. Food/restaurant usually isn't a factor. Cliff bar in my flight bag, and a couple bottles of water cover it.

Back