Old F-15 record flights

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I do not follow the maneuvers, pre-selected G pull, airspeeds, attitudes and why these had to change so much during each flight.
I know they have to maintain some wing loading ie not neg-G flight.
“they found it just works best that way”, or some scientific reason?
Does it go truly vertical if they just climb at best rate airspeed/mach# ?

Thanks that was a nice video. Back in the early 80's I watched the F-15 and SR-71 come and go wile working on the P-3 Orion we were deployed to Okinawa, Japan. Land of the one step snake and all..:rolleyes:

Streak Eagle followed a well-defined profile to maximize excess power available throughout the climb. Excess power is a measure of acceleration or climb rate available. It’s not too hard to find the Ps (specific excess power) charts Streak Eagle used for the flights. I thought most of the videos even showed them.

Nauga,
And the Rutowski Climb

Last edited:
Streak Eagle followed a well-defined profile to maximize excess power available throughout the climb. Excess power is a measure of acceleration or climb rate available. It’s it too hard to find the Ps (specific excess power) charts Streak Eagle used for the flights. I thought most of the videos even showed them.

Nauga,
And the Rutowski Climb

I think you mentioned all of that the last time this video came up here, which for me got me to digging into the excess power thing and I found it educational.

Sooooo, thanks for that. Twice now. Ha. At least. :)

. . . .to 15k meters, “This is 10seconds faster than the Saturn V Apollo rockets”

Unbelievable.

. . . .to 15k meters, “This is 10seconds faster than the Saturn V Apollo rockets”

Unbelievable.
Well... consider how much easier it is to get about 40,000 or so pounds to go straight up really fast, than to do the same thing with over six million pounds.

The design of the Eagle wing is really an engineering marvel. The last "hard wing" fighter - no leading edge devices, no maneuvering flaps, no strakes. If you look down the leading edge of the wing you'll see the curve in the leading which means that you can never have the full wing in a 0 G condition (or stalled unless you are WAAAAY high AOA). At low airspeed, our best acceleration is about 1/4 of a G, as you accel to over 400 it calls for more than 1G for best accel.

Well... consider how much easier it is to get about 40,000 or so pounds to go straight up really fast, than to do the same thing with over six million pounds.
I was wondering about that too, is that where a look at power loading would reveal....wait - ain't no wing on the spaceship!
Maybe lbs of thrust per lb of aircraft.

Back