Externally mounted cameras(gopro)

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
I finally got around to trying my underwing camera mount. Mount works ok, I'm kinda meh about the camera. The actual camera is one of the 1080p china gopro clones. After the fact I realize it was in 720p but oh well. I kinda felt like the image quality was meh. Not terrible but meh...

I don't get too into this stuff but we're going to fly to Key West and go over the island chain which I thought might be worth a video. Would I see a significant image quality difference if I bought an actual name brand gopro? What about the new 4k China knockoffs? I'm wondering if the haze/distance of a camera like this doing landscape shots is just never going to be great or if I really would see improvement.

Stills of what I have(ignore date, I didn't set the clock)...

vlcsnap-2019-09-15-23h15m04s252.png vlcsnap-2019-09-15-23h13m01s456.png

That’s pretty good quality, but you can buy a refurbished GoPro 4 on amazon for a good price and get 4k

I'd recommend the Garmin virb. Also as far as mounting, I'd suggest getting some of the plane in the shot, it helps give perspective and to prove you're not just flying a drone :).

I ran with the cheap action cams for a few years and finally broke down and purchased a GoPro Hero 7 Black this summer. It's expensive, but truly has a superior image quality (when it works). I have had one recording glitch out of about twenty, so it works great 95% of the time. Overall it was worth it to me...

I'd recommend the Garmin virb. Also as far as mounting, I'd suggest getting some of the plane in the shot, it helps give perspective and to prove you're not just flying a drone :).

Yeah, I wanted more plane in the shot, it's attached to the tie-down ring. Only ways I think I could get more in is to add some kind of swivel to it that would stay in place. Right now as is I can pretty much just have it pointed straight ahead to slightly tilted down.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2788359 this is what I'm using

Last edited:
I really like this one. It works with the GoPro stick-on "shoe" mount:

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts/swivel-mount/ABJQR-001.html

Here's a video I did with that mount on the underside leading edge of the left wing (also another camera on underside or horiz. stab). Image stabilization gets better with every GoPro iteration...this one's a Hero 7 Silver (about $215) and is shot at 1080p, 30 fps. Footage is rock-solid! Pay a bit more for the GoPro, they are soooooo worth it!

Horiz. stab cam is a GoPro 5, and footage is a little shakier, partly because the mounting location is more turbulent...smooths out a bit when you get under 90 kts or so.

Make sure to watch it in 1080p setting:

I really like this one. It works with the GoPro stick-on "shoe" mount:

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts/swivel-mount/ABJQR-001.html

Here's a video I did with that mount on the underside leading edge of the left wing (also another camera on underside or horiz. stab). Image stabilization gets better with every GoPro iteration...this one's a Hero 7 Silver (about $215) and is shot at 1080p, 30 fps. Footage is rock-solid! Pay a bit more for the GoPro, they are soooooo worth it!

Horiz. stab cam is a GoPro 5, and footage is a little shakier, partly because the mounting location is more turbulent...smooths out a bit when you get under 90 kts or so.

Make sure to watch it in 1080p setting:

Had to turn the noise off before it triggered me into the need for an SI on my next medical. Is that some sort of secret code or data transmission? It *cant* be music...

Had to turn the noise off before it triggered me into the need for an SI on my next medical. Is that some sort of secret code or data transmission? It *cant* be music...

Nah, you're just too old! :)

Tried a 4k China knock off and it was never sharp, then tried a Hero 5 black and image quality is way, way better. I keep watching CL to find a used 7 for better stabilization but otherwise happy.

Really like the flightflix mount!

I ran with the cheap action cams for a few years and finally broke down and purchased a GoPro Hero 7 Black this summer. It's expensive, but truly has a superior image quality (when it works). I have had one recording glitch out of about twenty, so it works great 95% of the time. Overall it was worth it to me...

And great stabilization.

Compare a Hero 2 ... (start at one-minute mark)

... with a Hero Black 7 (start at 4:30).

Same airplane, same location and conditions, same mounting (suction cup to the inside of the windshield -- lots of vibration).

Compare a Hero 2 ... (start at one-minute mark)

... with a Hero Black 7 (start at 4:30).

Same airplane, same location and conditions, same mounting (suction cup to the inside of the windshield -- lots of vibration).

Hero 7 definitely looks a lot better. I was considering a cheap refurb Hero 5 but now IDK....

I've got a vibration issue with a Hero 5. Stills from the videos look very good, but there's obvious shaking on the actual videos.
I've run the whole gamut of adjustments, from narrow fields of view to different sampling rates. No improvement.

Maybe the Hero 7 would work better, but I'm not going to spend the $$$ to upgrade unless I'm sure.

Ron Wanttaja

I've got a vibration issue with a Hero 5. Stills from the videos look very good, but there's obvious shaking on the actual videos.
I've run the whole gamut of adjustments, from narrow fields of view to different sampling rates. No improvement.

Maybe the Hero 7 would work better, but I'm not going to spend the $$$ to upgrade unless I'm sure.

Ron Wanttaja

Yeah, 7 doesn't do that. I put mine on a heavy pad and set it on the dash. Smooth as silk.

Not much you can do about haze. In term of quality, judge for yourself. This is a $35 Apeman 1080p (a few years old) and, of course, uploading to YouTube diminishes quality.

I use the rollbar mount to stick a 2nd generation gopro to the step on the Navion. Works pretty good (although it's so close to the ground that it looks like you're taxiing at 50MPH.

Yeah, 7 doesn't do that. I put mine on a heavy pad and set it on the dash. Smooth as silk.
Did you have similar vibration with a Hero 5, that the 7 doesn't exhibit? That's the question. I know the 7 doesn't show vibration *in some environments*, and the 5 is good in some, as well.

Ron Wanttaja

I used the tail tiedown ring, I don’t like use adhesive to glue camera to the wing, but I’m not a pro.

Tom

Ron Wanttaja
Ron I am sure a Hero 7 would be better but having the camera back in that position where it seems to be in turbulent air might still give it a challenge. What kind of mount?

Since your video stills are sharp that means its using a very fast exposure time per frame which can in some cases be counter productive as it can lead to the video Jello Effect where it aliases seems to wobble. A simple test would be to throw a cheap ND6 filter on front and see how it changes. But the stills won't be as sharp.

Ron I am sure a Hero 7 would be better but having the camera back in that position where it seems to be in turbulent air might still give it a challenge. What kind of mount?
Here's a shot of the basic mount, with a cheapie camera in place (which showed the same vibration, BTW).
tail_mount.jpg

I've done variations on this to try to cut down the vibration. I added a rubber pad under the mount, for instance. I also tried a anti-vibration mount intended for a quad copter....
rc_mount.jpg

Neither seemed to make any difference...due, I think, to the low mass of the camera. I've been tempted to add some weight to the camera-side of the mount to see if it'd damp better. Bit leery of that, for a tail-mounted camera... :)

I don't think it's turbulence-related, since I've seen a number of other folks' shots from similar locations without the same issues. I see the same vibration when I install the camera in other locations, but it's not quite as obvious when there aren't a pair of wings stretching to each side to waggle. I also tend to use narrower camera angles in these locations.

I've love to get the prop dynamically balanced, but the local shop can't do it since the plane doesn't have a spinner (they put weights on the spinner, not the prop). Might try a static balance over the winter. Might also replace the rubber bushings on the engine mount...they're original to the airplane.

Since your video stills are sharp that means its using a very fast exposure time per frame which can in some cases be counter productive as it can lead to the video Jello Effect where it aliases seems to wobble. A simple test would be to throw a cheap ND6 filter on front and see how it changes. But the stills won't be as sharp.
Thanks! I'll give that a try. Here's what a typical still from a video looks like....
rainier2.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Wow the stills are very sharp. Seems like your way ahead of me on the mounts. The ND filter might work but I'm guessing a large model action cam (Hero 7) will now make the biggest difference.

Dumb question...if you fly closer to sunset does it still have that jittery look?

Wow the stills are very sharp. Seems like your way ahead of me on the mounts. The ND filter might work but I'm guessing a large model action cam (Hero 7) will now make the biggest difference.
I'm hoping to find one to borrow around here, and give it a try.

Dumb question...if you fly closer to sunset does it still have that jittery look?
Haven't tried it...I'm flying under Sport Pilot, an my coach turns into a pumpkin at dusk....

Ron Wanttaja

Have ya tried this Gizmo? I want a few for other projects I'm working on, just haven't yet.

https://flightflix.net/product/rock-steady-vibex-gopro-mount-w-h-base/

30fps might help, too.

And a gp7. I'll let you borrow one of mine for a spell if you wish. I might be down there first weeks of October. (Crazy paint Sierra guy across the alley)

Still, fun video to watch from you!

Have ya tried this Gizmo? I want a few for other projects I'm working on, just haven't yet.

https://flightflix.net/product/rock-steady-vibex-gopro-mount-w-h-base/

30fps might help, too.

And a gp7. I'll let you borrow one of mine for a spell if you wish. I might be down there first weeks of October. (Crazy paint Sierra guy across the alley)

Still, fun video to watch from you!
I got one of these FlightFlix mounts last winter and have done some flights with it. I didn't get the version with vibration dampening.

Here was the first test video. Shot with GoPro Hero 5 Black. I had a bit too much ND filter for that time of day so got a bit too grainy. Most obvious, the mount and/or Hero 5 can't mask the shudder of the slightly unbalanced mains just lifting off. I would say the mount is rigid enough (maybe to rigid) and a GP 7 might handle this better. Whenever I get a Hero 7 I will try it again.

A good camera mount for wing or tail tie down is the MyPilotPro unit.

Attachments

• F00654AD-7463-46AA-B6D5-299A66C8CAA1.jpeg
    F00654AD-7463-46AA-B6D5-299A66C8CAA1.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 19
Would I see a significant image quality difference if I bought an actual name brand gopro? What about the new 4k China knockoffs?

The current gopro is pretty amazing. There are some very good knock off cameras also, but here is the thing. The good ones cost nearly as much as a gopro because this is an area where quality still costs money. Having the latest chips and sensors is a requirement for getting the highest quality. So, just buy a gopro if that's what you want.

I tried an ND16 filter. The vibration is less apparent, but it's still not rock solid like I've seen other airplane installations. I'm going to try a narrower FOV. Thanks for the suggestion.....

Ron Wanttaja

Back