AV 20 and 30 video

That AV-20-S looks pretty sweet. Everyone that I know who has installed one has given it rave reviews.

As for the AV-30, "late 2019" is what in aviation years? Early 2021?

could be, but at that price point, you install 2 of them and Garmin will probably see a hit in Dual G5 sales, albeit this one doesnt have auto re-visionary capabilities

they even have FIS/TIS integration planned out in the roadmap, thats interesting in that small display. something i am sure Garmin can do and choosing not to. honestly there is a crap ton of wasted space in G5 HSI

could be, but at that price point, you install 2 of them and Garmin will probably see a hit in Dual G5 sales, albeit this one doesnt have auto re-visionary capabilities

Yeah, why not two of these at this price over 2 G5s? It seems it would be a no-brainer unless there are some limitations we don't know about other than the auto re-visionary.

Well, no integration with your autopilot available yet...might wait a while for the vaporware to condense...

Well, no integration with your autopilot available yet...might wait a while for the vaporware to condense...

As per the roadmap, that’s coming in mid 2020, including a fairly cheap option for STEC guys and plans for remote magnetometer. Very promising if they can deliver and the company by itself stays around.

I think that they are very interesting. More so than the G5s, to me anyway. Maybe in a couple of years, a Trutrak with a pair of the AV-30's. $12-13 installed?

As per the roadmap, that’s coming in mid 2020, including a fairly cheap option for STEC guys and plans for remote magnetometer. Very promising if they can deliver and the company by itself stays around.
Are you sure about the magnetometer? I didn't see any plans mentioned on the Aerovonics website.

That's one of the key differences between the AV-30 and the G5. The Aerovonics autopilot adapter will give analog autopilots attitude as well as course. Garmin will only provide course.

Are you sure about the magnetometer? I didn't see any plans mentioned on the Aerovonics website.

That's one of the key differences between the AV-30 and the G5. The Aerovonics autopilot adapter will give analog autopilots attitude as well as course. Garmin will only provide course.

Yupp,

FUTURE CAPABILITIES:
Support for a remote magnetometer is designed into the system architecture, but will be available at a future date. The APA-10 provides ARINC 429 capability, and will eventually support full HSI interface capability to a digital NAV radio. FIS/TIS display capability (weather/traffic) interface is supported, but will be implemented in future software releases

Yupp,

FUTURE CAPABILITIES:
Support for a remote magnetometer is designed into the system architecture, but will be available at a future date.
Without a timeline, I wouldn't exactly call that a plan. :p

I do wonder how 2x AV-30s would match up against 2x G5’s?

Tempting.

As for the AV-30, "late 2019" is what in aviation years? Early 2021?
The estimate is now 2Q20. Sometimes I really wish I were wrong about some things. :(

And the price is now 25% higher than it was, too ($2000 vs $1600). That cuts into the difference with the G5. :(

In other news, it looks like the AV-20 (the base model without AoA/attitude) is gone. Only the AV-20S shows up as available. Also, the simulators are missing from the downloads section.

I hate to rain on the parade, but comparing something that isn’t available, and hence has no track record, and unknown feature set, to a G5 system that is installed in thousands of airplanes and very stable (though no without any issues) is hard for me to buy into. The AV’s look nice, and they may be great if/when they are released, but I won’t be thinking much about installing one until they have been shipping for at least a few months, and flying in quite a few planes. I made the mistake of installing one of the first Aspen E5’s only to find out that Aspen had overlooked the issue with the length of the RSM cable.

I hate to rain on the parade, but comparing something that isn’t available, and hence has no track record, and unknown feature set, to a G5 system that is installed in thousands of airplanes and very stable (though no without any issues) is hard for me to buy into. The AV’s look nice, and they may be great if/when they are released, but I won’t be thinking much about installing one until they have been shipping for at least a few months, and flying in quite a few planes. I made the mistake of installing one of the first Aspen E5’s only to find out that Aspen had overlooked the issue with the length of the RSM cable.
Well, the certified version is preceded by the experimental version, so there's that. However, I don't know how many of the experimental version they shipped. Plus, the AV-30 is presumably built on a lot of the same bones as its little brother the AV-20 for whatever that's worth.

Well, the certified version is preceded by the experimental version, so there's that. However, I don't know how many of the experimental version they shipped. Plus, the AV-30 is presumably built on a lot of the same bones as its little brother the AV-20 for whatever that's worth.
^ that

The experimental model is already good to go, just a matter of the FAA certified BS process on basically the same device.

Personally I’ll be looking to go with a AV30 well before a pumpkin spice basic and very SQUARE g5

The estimate is now 2Q20. Sometimes I really wish I were wrong about some things. :(

Though I am keenly interested, it's useless to me without the S-Tec autopilot interface.

Back