kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Hi, all,
I'm now 1.5 months into my grand tour around the states, and it's been a pretty amazing trip so far.
(Part I here:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/kaths-north-america-adventure-part-i.120459/)

I spent about three weeks in Madison, WI, after the 7-day epic flight through Canada. It felt like it took a week just to recuperate from that flight. Leaving Anchorage and restructuring my life into a "my laptop is my office" lifestyle proved a bit of a transition. But I'm embracing it now!

After Madison, I stopped in Milwaukee for a few days, and then went to the 6Y9 Fly-In. That was a highlight... what a fantastic weekend! I hardly ever get to go to fly-ins like this since I live so far away from everything. The weather was so wonderful, and the company more so.

For those of you who were at 6Y9, I was supposedly headed next to a neutrino detector under construction in Northern Minnesota. But I ended up going to River Falls WI first, due to the weather. But I *did* finally make it to the neutrino thing, and I'm there now, in Hoyt Lakes (the plane is parked in Eveleth). It took so long to get here, due to a) lots of bad weather in Minnesota, and b) that I thought my G5 was broken on the one good day I could've made it and I had to wait to find out that it just needed a hard reboot (and how to do that).

The trip to Eveleth is also noteworthy as my first time filing IFR in 14 years! I'd gotten all IPC'ed before leaving Anchorage, but I was still really nervous about actually jumping into "the system" again... but all this September midwest weather was creating too many "gee, I wish I wasn't so chicken about IFR" days. So I picked a (forecast) really nice VFR day, spent what seemed like an entire day planning every last detail, and filed. It turned out to be quite anticlimactic... I got about 30 miles from my destination and was VFR-on-top, and my destination was reporting fog and 1/2- or 3/4-mile vis and VV002. I watched it for a while, but to my eye it didn't look like the kind of thing that was just going to burn off soon. So I canceled IFR and just turned 180 to an airport I'd just flown over that was clear. Landed there to wait for the fog to lift, which it did immediately. <sigh... sometimes ya guess wrong>. So zero logged actual, and zero approaches. But still a big victory for me, a mental hurdle I really needed to clear.

So, next, I'll be headed west, from Eveleth MN (KEVM) to Rapid City SD (KRAP!). I'm looking to stop somewhere in between for fuel and a meal. Where's good, and would anybody want to try to meet up? (@Sinistar? @WannFly?). I'm thinking of making the flight next Tuesday or Wednesday (Sep. 24 or 25), whenever the wx favors.

A couple weeks after that, I'll be headed for California. Possibly via Bozeman MT.

@flyingcheesehead, I deeply regret that we missed a couple chances to catch up while I was in Madison... but I'll be back at some point!

Pictures and more details on the blog, which is "beetlejuiceadventure" followed by wordpress dot com.

Map so far: (green = new stuff)
tripmap5.png

Glad to hear you're still ticking. Weather here's been great. Sorry we're a bit short on big Physics projects.

Hi, all,
I'm now 1.5 months into my grand tour around the states, and it's been a pretty amazing trip so far.
(Part I here:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/kaths-north-america-adventure-part-i.120459/)

I spent about three weeks in Madison, WI, after the 7-day epic flight through Canada. It felt like it took a week just to recuperate from that flight. Leaving Anchorage and restructuring my life into a "my laptop is my office" lifestyle proved a bit of a transition. But I'm embracing it now!

After Madison, I stopped in Milwaukee for a few days, and then went to the 6Y9 Fly-In. That was a highlight... what a fantastic weekend! I hardly ever get to go to fly-ins like this since I live so far away from everything. The weather was so wonderful, and the company more so.

For those of you who were at 6Y9, I was supposedly headed next to a neutrino detector under construction in Northern Minnesota. But I ended up going to River Falls WI first, due to the weather. But I *did* finally make it to the neutrino thing, and I'm there now, in Hoyt Lakes (the plane is parked in Eveleth). It took so long to get here, due to a) lots of bad weather in Minnesota, and b) that I thought my G5 was broken on the one good day I could've made it and I had to wait to find out that it just needed a hard reboot (and how to do that).

The trip to Eveleth is also noteworthy as my first time filing IFR in 14 years! I'd gotten all IPC'ed before leaving Anchorage, but I was still really nervous about actually jumping into "the system" again... but all this September midwest weather was creating too many "gee, I wish I wasn't so chicken about IFR" days. So I picked a (forecast) really nice VFR day, spent what seemed like an entire day planning every last detail, and filed. It turned out to be quite anticlimactic... I got about 30 miles from my destination and was VFR-on-top, and my destination was reporting fog and 1/2- or 3/4-mile vis and VV002. I watched it for a while, but to my eye it didn't look like the kind of thing that was just going to burn off soon. So I canceled IFR and just turned 180 to an airport I'd just flown over that was clear. Landed there to wait for the fog to lift, which it did immediately. <sigh... sometimes ya guess wrong>. So zero logged actual, and zero approaches. But still a big victory for me, a mental hurdle I really needed to clear.

So, next, I'll be headed west, from Eveleth MN (KEVM) to Rapid City SD (KRAP!). I'm looking to stop somewhere in between for fuel and a meal. Where's good, and would anybody want to try to meet up? (@Sinistar? @WannFly?). I'm thinking of making the flight next Tuesday or Wednesday (Sep. 24 or 25), whenever the wx favors.

A couple weeks after that, I'll be headed for California. Possibly via Bozeman MT.

@flyingcheesehead, I deeply regret that we missed a couple chances to catch up while I was in Madison... but I'll be back at some point!

Pictures and more details on the blog, which is "beetlejuiceadventure" followed by wordpress dot com.

How was the chow at Eveleth. Did you get a round of applause or did they ban you from the kitchen:). What’s with this Neutrino thing? It sounds like all you can do is ‘count’ them. What does that lead to, what’s the end product so to speak.

first of all, great post and thanks for sharing your journey. so, both @Sinistar and myself were supposed go to Jackson this week, WX didnt cooperate and we moved tit to next Thursday for another attempt, if Jack is not an option, we plan on going to KRAP and fly around there, devils tower, spearfish etc. fall is beautiful over there, or so i hear. if you are over KRAP area on thursday, love to meet up.

in your route a nice place to stop is Aberdeen, KABR. small little airport, have attendant who will happily fill up your tanks. get a courtesy truck and head over to Mavericks Steak & Cocktails, about 5 min drive. you will need some time there since their food is awesome and everyone over eats there :p. make sure you order a side or fries... they are breaded and just heavenly.

OR if you want to go to Pierre, SD (KPIR), a little off your route, thats most likely where me and Brad is going to meet on our way out to KRAP, head over to RedRossa Italian Grille - another awesome food place. i havent been to Pierre, but have heard a lot of great things about that place. i believe @Sinistar have landed there.

stay in touch and hope to meet you over there next week

first of all, great post and thanks for sharing your journey. so, both @Sinistar and myself were supposed go to Jackson this week, WX didnt cooperate and we moved tit to next Thursday for another attempt, if Jack is not an option, we plan on going to KRAP and fly around there, devils tower, spearfish etc. fall is beautiful over there, or so i hear. if you are over KRAP area on thursday, love to meet up.

in your route a nice place to stop is Aberdeen, KABR. small little airport, have attendant who will happily fill up your tanks. get a courtesy truck and head over to Mavericks Steak & Cocktails, about 5 min drive. you will need some time there since their food is awesome and everyone over eats there :p. make sure you order a side or fries... they are breaded and just heavenly.

OR if you want to go to Pierre, SD (KPIR), a little off your route, thats most likely where me and Brad is going to meet on our way out to KRAP, head over to RedRossa Italian Grille - another awesome food place. i havent been to Pierre, but have heard a lot of great things about that place. i believe @Sinistar have landed there.

stay in touch and hope to meet you over there next week
Hm...what day at Pierre? Less than 3 hrs for me from Denver.

Hm...what day at Pierre? Less than 3 hrs for me from Denver.

our current plans are leaving Thursday, Sep 26 early AM and be at KPIR around 11 AM or so. that thursday and into the weekend we are flying for sure and plan is KPIR meet up with Brad, then go from there to either SD area or head out to Jack if wx is right. if SD is utter crap, head south or east.. wherever there is better WX

@kath I see you are planning on leaving either Tuesday or Wednesday and sounds like you will do KEVM to KRAP in a single day. My schedule is busy through Tuesday and then I have blocked off Wed...Sunday for flying. Maybe we could meet somewhere along this schedule:

If you fly Wednesday and @WannFly and myself have to scrub our bigger trip, then wx permitting I could fly and meet you and any others anywhere between Eveleth and Aberdeen. Probably not much farther than that if I am coming back home the same day since I am leaving from the Twin Cities.

If our trip is a go all the way we might be able too meet you at KPIR on the way out or KRAP on the way back. Not sure if this helps but we had planned stops around Riverton (KRIW) the first night, West Yellowstone or Cody the second night and KRAP or KPIR on the final night. Not sure if that helps.

If wx forces us to stick closer to home and we only fly to KRAP then even better chance of meeting up as we would overnight at lease one night. @Z06_Mir (Miranda) is based out of KRAP and has been super helpful. Would be nice to say hi to her and her husband as well if they are around. If we stay around KRAP we would mostly likely see Mt.Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Devils tower by air and try a landing / lunch at Spearfish.

Or it will all fall apart due to mother nature LOL!

For your hop from Eveleth to KRAP:

KBRD Brainerd is out of your way but its got nice runways if you need one and café right on the field which is okay. Very easy for us to meet you there.
KDTL Detroit Lakes is a nice town and I would probably overnight since my folks live there...but I think their runway is now closed.
KFAR Fargo is @WannFly's home base so I could fly up and meet for lunch there.

...once you get around KPIR the scenery final starts getting less farm like and more interesting. If you do a stop in KPIR and have nice sunlight left its nice to fly Mt.Rushmore / Crazy horse and then back to KRAP as they aren't all the far apart. The sun in Crazy Horse is nice in the afternoon. The sun is much better on Mt.Rushmore in the morning.

Not sure how you will park in KRAP. They should have heated and unheated hangars (heated = $$$). They are really, really nice people. I think you can also tie down and self serve more up at the north end of the field. Be careful of the AFB runway. Its easy to spot way out and mistake for KRAP. And the KRAP delta is notched in around their airspace so its smaller on the north side.

@kath
If you fly Wednesday and @WannFly and myself have to scrub our bigger trip.....
If our trip is a go all the way.....
If wx forces us to stick closer to home and we only fly to KRAP....
Or it will all fall apart due to mother nature LOL!

Sounds like four solid options! :)

I'll PM the both of you as we get closer to Monday/Tuesday... If I get to KRAP before you depart, we could still meet up at KPIR later in the week. One of the folks I'll be visiting in Rapid would be overjoyed to go on a flight somewhere! And once I get there, I'll be in Rapid for a couple weeks.

Stop by Custer State Park. Nice little strip. Took my first passenger as a PPL there. Took a video and flew past Mt Rushmore.

Spearfish, SD is a nice place not far from Deadwood. Sort of a tourist trap but still fun.

Nice writeup Kath. Care to share anything more about the CHIPS experiment?

Well, I'm actually closer to Milwaukee now (I'm about right in the middle between Waukesha, Timmerman, West Bend, and Hartford, and based at Waukesha now). But yeah, schedule and weather alignment didn't work so well! But, IIRC you're going to be back again for Oshkosh next summer right? I'll have to keep track of where you are too, as I do go a-wandering around the country from time to time... I'm also flying a TBM a couple days a week now and end up in various places (mostly east of the Rockies), so who knows?

It was so good seeing you at 6Y9! Your trip is amazing and I am looking forward to reading more!

Martina

Back