Superior flow company oil filter adapter

Idaho pilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
John M
Hello all, I'm attempting to gather information from possibly others on here who also purchased a new in the box oil filter adapter manufactured by The Superior Flow Company Oklahoma city model US-5003. I purchased it on eBay due to price, seller rating, and clear fit on our O-470. After I began the process of getting the paperwork in order, we discovered that the STC # SE325SW has been abandoned due to the company going out of business. I'd hoped that the path to a simple field approval wouldn't have been so exhausting, but we're really having a tough time of it. Has anyone else encountered this and found the path to a legal installation? Here's the link to the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CONTINENTA...W-ON-OIL-FILTER-ADAPTER-FAA-PMA-/111882823921
Any information would be greatly appreciated, double the oil life seems so nice considering the costs of aeroshell!

Any information would be greatly appreciated,
If the STC is actually "abandoned," which is a regulatory term, then the FAA considers it in the public domain. To get the required drawings the best path is to contact the FAA ACO that issued the STC. The STC number usually provides which ACO did the issue but I don't have the table handy. However, your local FSDO can get it. Usually the ACO issue theses docs but if not a good alternative would be a field approval done against the previous STC data with the right ASI at your FSDO. Technically, getting the permission letter per 91.403(d) can be an issue to use the STC on face value and may require the field approval route but the ACO would be the best to answer that.

Last edited:
If the STC is actually "abandoned," which is a regulatory term, then the FAA considers it in the public domain. To get the required drawings the best path is to contact the FAA ACO that issued the STC. The STC number usually provides which ACO did the issue but I don't have the table handy. However, your local FSDO can get it. Usually the ACO issue theses docs but if not a good alternative would be a field approval done against the previous STC data with the right ASI at your FSDO. Technically, getting the permission letter per 91.403(d) can be an issue to use the STC on face value and may require the field approval route but the ACO would be the best to answer that.
Thank you so much!

Are you certain that STC really existed? I've never heard of that company or that adapter.

Are you certain that STC really existed? I've never heard of that company or that adapter.
Yes, I've unearthed extensive documentation regarding the FAA's inability to contact them firming the decision to abandon the STC. Also, the STC # is on the placard on the body of the adapter.

Why bother? For $46 dollars more you can buy a Tempest oil filter adapter from Aircraft Spruce new in the box with a warranty and a company to provide factory support.

edit: Added “more” after $46 dollars

Last edited:
Why bother? For $46 dollars you can buy a Tempest oil filter adapter from Aircraft Spruce new in the box with a warranty and a company to provide factory support.
That's a hell of a deal! Could you provide me that link?

Did you say what airplane? Oil filter adapters are a bad topic for Skywagon guys but other airframes aren't too bad. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/fmengadapter.php

Get a load of the price for cessna 180/185s.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/cessnafilteradptr.php
Wow! We're in a 56 182. Thanks, I'm already into this one just over $400, when I initially found out about the STC, a mechanic friend said that a field approval was the way to go and shouldn't be a big deal. But apparently we need to use the right words to convince the FAA fellow.

For $46 dollars more

poster_forafewdollarsmore.jpg

Back