IFR Weekend Ground School

I've been looking at Aviation Seminars and America Flyers IFR weekend ground school. Does anybody have any experience with them or other schools? I don't want to learn just the answers to the test, but is a 2-3 day class enough time to learn the information so I can retain it?

No.

How bout downloading the free FAA books and studying them?

As someone who pays federal income tax, fuel taxes etc, they are not “free”

You must have really had an impact on those answers.
I took the PPL written test before the flight training. I feel so shamed to admitted that I memorized the test’s answers of the correct options like A, B, C, or D; and some key words. I didn’t really understand all of the ground knowledge when taking the test. It’s not a good way to study.

You must have really had an impact on those answers.
I took the PPL written test before the flight training. I feel so shamed to admitted that I memorized the test’s answers of the correct options like A, B, C, or D; and some key words. I didn’t really understand all of the ground knowledge when taking the test. It’s not a good way to study.

Why would you be ashamed? Many study that way. Get the test out of the way and get on with the training.

A lot of the concepts are much easier to understand once you have actually been up and done some air work. You can learn them before you fly, but it's all theoretical knowledge at that point. Once it becomes practical knowledge, the test gets a lot easier. It is for that reason I would encourage student pilots to log some hours in the air before taking the knowledge exam.

I did Aviation Seminars before I started studying for my instrument rating: it did not help ONE BIT. Now if I had done it after studying for a few months, but right before taking the test, it would have probably been a great review.

So basically I'm saying I wouldn't do it if it is your first exposure to IFR, but it might be good if it is nearly the last.

I did Aviation Seminars before I started studying for my instrument rating: it did not help ONE BIT. Now if I had done it after studying for a few months, but right before taking the test, it would have probably been a great review.

So basically I'm saying I wouldn't do it if it is your first exposure to IFR, but it might be good if it is nearly the last.
Exactly. It’s a great review and get ready for the written.

Back