e-readers: recommendations?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
What's the word on the street about e-readers?

Kindle? I see there's a iBooks app on my phone.

I've tried the Kindle app on a tablet, but daylight readable was not a strong point, where the real Kindle device seems a lot better.

Also, are there any limitations on available content for different devices?

I've tried the Kindle app on a tablet, but daylight readable was not a strong point, where the real Kindle device seems a lot better.

I got a Nook. I like it. I probably won't any more if I keep reading this thread and find out how much better other ones are

The good news is that it's talk like a Pirate day...

Personally I have a Kobo Aura H2O for my eBooks, but the few I've purchased I buy the Kindle version and then strip the DRM and save it as a Kobo compatible version. This also prevents books from magically disappearing from my Kindle library. Personally I like the look of the new Kobo Libra H2O, but we'll see how the reviews look.

I only tend to use them for 'reading' books, reference books and other stuff I just use PDFs on my tablet/laptop or desktop.

I got a Nook. I like it. I probably won't any more if I keep reading this thread and find out how much better other ones are
That’s the Barnes & Noble deal, isn’t it?

Are there different formats for electronic books that limit them to certain devices?

I'll also need to check with my local library about how they handle e-book checkouts.

That’s the Barnes & Noble deal, isn’t it?

Are there different formats for electronic books that limit them to certain devices?

Yeah, it's Barnes & Noble thing. I think I remember reading you can put stuff from Amazon and other places on it. I just get books from them and read them. Don't use it for anything else. This is the third one I've had. Got the first a long time ago. The new one that I have is very easy on the eye's. It's got an adjustable kinda Amber colored hue.

I've owned various Kindles for about a decade now, and currently have a Kindle Oasis. They've gotten incrementally better over the years - screens are a sharper with better contrast, the refresh is faster, backlight was a big deal when that was introduced - but fundamentally they're all the same sort of thing. As a Kindle it's tied into Amazon, but using a free Mac/PC app called Calibre I can use it with any kind of electronic document. I can even check out ebooks from my local library and have them sent directly to the Kindle. It's pretty slick.

I just read books with it - the screen isn't great for anything beyond basic black and white or simple grays - but if you love to read it's indispensable. I'm on the road a lot and it's a godsend, especially since I tend to read in the presence of <ahem> a lot of ambient sunlight, which makes it infinitely better than any other kind of digital device.

Can't speak to the other eReaders like the Nook, but I'm sure they'll all do what you need.

If bright sunlight readability and long battery life is important, a real kindle device wins hands down, but it's only an ereader, you can't surf the web with it. But I use android devices, an 8" tablet and my phone, with three different apps: Kindle for kindle books, google play books for books bought from the play store, and cool reader for free ebooks (mostly in .mobi format) that I've picked up here and there.

Use the Libby app with your local library card. TONS of free books, and should work on just about any reader. I use my Google Nexus 2.0 and Ipad Mini 4.

I have several e-reader apps on my iphone and my two Ipads. I can read anything, anywhere and pick up where I left off, even from another device. These days though I usually use the Kindle app as I devour books from Kindle Unlimited. There have been a few times, like when at the beach, that I sort of have to turn to put the screen in the shade from my body, but I have never been in a position where I couldn't read it.

I have looked at others and have read using Libby when a Kindle version was not available, but between my 2nd Gen kindle for poolside or beach and Kindle app everywhere else, have never seen much need for anything else for eBooks I am reading.

I don't use them for pdf references works (like airplane manuals) I want to bookmark, annotate, mark-up, etc.

Exceptions are dedicated readers for certain products, like the Adobe reader ASA requires for its ebooks.

Just a couple of notes on ebooks:

1. Amazon's (Kindle) format is MOBI, which is for the most part proprietary to a Amazon and requires a Kindle or Kindle compatible device. The Kindle device for IOS works fine, although there is a bug in it, as to where it often inserts a first paragraph indentation where there should be none. Normally, the file is uploaded through the purchase or KU download process. You can however, upload a MOBI book file to your Kindle by emailing it to your Kindle device. Your kindle device has an email address assigned to it.

2. Everyone else uses an EPUB format. A Kindle device cannot handle an EPUB, although there are ways of converting EPUB's to MOBI format (and vice versa.) Your Nook and other e-readers that aren't Kindle use the EPUB format. Both formats are essentially modified HTML files. Your e-reader handles an ebook like a web page.

You probably didn't care, but now you know.

My best friend had a Nook and he loved it. But last time I visited I noticed he wasn't using it. He said he never had it with him when he wanted it (at the barbershop, at the mall waiting for his wife to come out of Victoria Secret, etc...). But he always had an iphone or ipad within easy reach so now he uses his i-Thingeys for all his e-reading.

1. Amazon's (Kindle) format is MOBI, which is for the most part proprietary to a Amazon and requires a Kindle or Kindle compatible device. The Kindle device for IOS works fine, although there is a bug in it, as to where it often inserts a first paragraph indentation where there should be none. Normally, the file is uploaded through the purchase or KU download process. You can however, upload a MOBI book file to your Kindle by emailing it to your Kindle device. Your kindle device has an email address assigned to it.

2. Everyone else uses an EPUB format. A Kindle device cannot handle an EPUB, although there are ways of converting EPUB's to MOBI format (and vice versa.) Your Nook and other e-readers that aren't Kindle use the EPUB format. Both formats are essentially modified HTML files. Your e-reader handles an ebook like a web page.

You probably didn't care, but now you know.
I’m seeing that my local library e-books are all in e-pub format. They do have a page of instructions on how to use an app that makes the conversions.

My wife and I still have ancient Sony eReaders... mine's a Pocket Reader, and hers is a larger format but I can't remember what the model was called. Both still work great, I like the black characters on flat matte grey-white background very much.. much easier on the eyes than standard tablets and the raison-d'etre for eReaders of any kind in the first place.. and I use Calibre to maintain our electronic library; great opensource program, and it makes converting between formats and loading books onto your devices a breeze.

1. Amazon's (Kindle) format is MOBI, which is for the most part proprietary to a Amazon and requires a Kindle or Kindle compatible device.

Cool Reader (free android app) uses .mobi as well.

Have both a Nook and a Kindle Fire. The Kindle is the go to one now. The Nook is a 1st gen and still works, but battery life is way limited and it's getting harder to find quality replacement ones. I also went to Kindle Unlimited earlier this year. It's definitely saving me money. I think I'm on book # 90 for the year. I generally read at lunch and when we're doing long running tests where I have to only check a display every 15 minutes or so and can't get too far from the airplane.

Back