AA Mechanic charged with sabotage (today's news story)

That's why I tend to think he probably was telling the truth about just wanting the OT pay. If it was terror-related, his heart obviously wasn't in it. There were many things he could have done that wouldn't be noticed / have their effect until the plane was at altitude.

Rich

But the OT thing also doesn’t sound right, just like that’s too little for a attack, seems too much for just OT, also as a Iraq dude he’s got to have some idea of the optics of that. Wouldn’t it just be easier to work really s l o w, or oops and drop a part you don’t have in stock?

That’s an FBI/DOJ memo. It is not compelling for nonDOJ agencies. It would have to be an EO to force that hand.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/23/...-reverse-ban-on-recording-interrogations.html

I can't find the memorandum ("Policy Concerning Electronic Recording of Statements," dated May 12, 2014, signed by Deputy Attorney General James. M. Cole) anywhere that doesn't require a login and password to view it. Maybe you can.

There are a few exceptions to the policy, none of which would seem to apply in this case.

Rich

EDIT: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...s-for-videotaping-the-questioning-of-suspects

But the OT thing also doesn’t sound right, just like that’s too little for a attack, seems too much for just OT, also as a Iraq dude he’s got to have some idea of the optics of that. Wouldn’t it just be easier to work really s l o w, or oops and drop a part you don’t have in stock?

From what the initial news articles said when the story broke, he also left the pitot tube loose, almost as if hoping it would be quickly noticed, which it was, by another mechanic. Perhaps the intent was to cause some mayhem? Until he was identified using the video, all that would be known was that someone had sabotaged an airliner.

Rich

That’s an FBI/DOJ memo. It is not compelling for nonDOJ agencies. It would have to be an EO to force that hand.

Wouldn't the case fall under FBI's jurisdiction the moment the sabotage was discovered? Another mechanic noticed and reported it shortly after the plane returned to the gate. That would make it a criminal investigation and possible terror investigation even before Alani was identified as the alleged saboteur.

I find it hard to believe that FBI wouldn't be the investigating agency.

Rich

Not sure why some think age is an issue...even at 60 I would love for my government to ask me back to go after the right subset of subhumans that threaten this country and my kids and grandkids future...I am sure the other side feels the same.

Not sure why some think age is an issue...even at 60 I would love for my government to ask me back to go after the right subset of subhumans that threaten this country and my kids and grandkids future...I am sure the other side feels the same.

Less to personally loose

I’m not sure who you think is the biggest threat to your kids and grandkids future, I don’t think it is who you think it is.

Federal law-enforcement agencies are required to videotape all interrogations.

Rich

Wouldn't the case fall under FBI's jurisdiction the moment the sabotage was discovered? Another mechanic noticed and reported it shortly after the plane returned to the gate. That would make it a criminal investigation and possible terror investigation even before Alani was identified as the alleged saboteur.

I find it hard to believe that FBI wouldn't be the investigating agency.

Rich

I am only responding to your post, not the topic.

You ever thought about working PR for a faith healer? I hear they have nice jets. LOL.

Which of those things stopped either of the events? Oh right, they didn’t. Yay “security by ten ineffective measures combined”. LOL. Looks like they weren’t “effective”.

I use “database” in public or “spreadsheet” because the average person doesn’t know jack about data handling at scale. It’s just a habit. Most people wouldn’t know a Hadoop if one bit them in the butt.

I do know this all about the modern incantations of big data. It regularly tries to sell me women’s shoes. One of the laziest systems people I know went to work for one of the places selling that snake oil. No objective measurement of success required. I could say more, but their investors like setting bonfires with cash, and they pay him really well to keep systems that accomplish little, running 24/7. Wouldn’t want to ruin it for him.

I can’t think of a much easier place to get things on and off of than a major airport ramp. Watch the door code keypads on the exits to the ramp from the terminal sometime. Not exactly biometrics going on there, and I’ve installed those and man traps and had to use them.

A false sense of security is worse than none at all. The ramp side isn’t secure. How many drug rings have been caught operating from them in recent years? Moving how much material? LOL.

Pro burglars don’t attack doors. They don’t even attack the patio windows. The usual window to attack is the skinny thing next to the front door. Can look like you’re delivering a package and squeeze right in. There’s always a way around the deadbolts and nicely installed strike plates.

Watch some of the presentations on physical security from DEFCON sometime, and realize those speakers aren’t giving away their best tricks. Not by a long shot. Otherwise nobody would need to hire them.

Meanwhile back to this dude. The whole story of ISIS ties is suspicious for one reason. There’s no reason to show that hole card. Not for a labor dispute.

The question to always ask when a piece of info comes from a source that’s normally secret... who gains from releasing this information?

“We found ISIS ties, trust us!” Uhhh sure. Who authorized you to release that? Black hole. Where was this link found? Black hole. Why were you even looking if this is a simple labor dispute? Crickets.
You missed my point, or I didn't articulate well enough, or a bit of both. Trying again, I'll say tools and techniques in use, for all kinds of security measures, have had gaps, misses. And successes. Lot's of each. Ten indivdual, semi-weak measures can add value.

Big data use is still as much art as science; smart, experienced, and intuitive folks have done astounding things with it, regarding security. I can't speak to it regarding retail shoe sales.

Not too interested in someone's agenda IRT leaking or releasing a possible ISIS connection. But no reason to put on a tin foil hat and assume lies, damned lies, and statistics are in play to mislead. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I didn’t miss it at all. All of those things are in place solidly and missed multiple times. They’re not working the fairy take way you say they are. And can’t. They’re expensive snake oil.

If you want security on the ramp side you do real security on the ramp side. Not door codes all the same to go out there.

It’s not security. It’s theater. One of the sharpest security minds on the planet coined that phrase, not I.

And if you’re saying they don’t have proper controls on secret information and that’s not troublesome... sure. Great. Let’s spend another $50B on that. Spiffy.

Now I'm sure you missed the point. . .letting it go Louie. .

Now I'm sure you missed the point. . .letting it go Louie. .

Nope. You believe “security in depth” by multiple false senses of security actually work. They don’t. Well documented in security professional circles. At best it’s called “getting lucky”.

You missed my point, or I didn't articulate well enough, or a bit of both. Trying again, I'll say tools and techniques in use, for all kinds of security measures, have had gaps, misses. And successes. Lot's of each. Ten indivdual, semi-weak measures can add value.

Big data use is still as much art as science; smart, experienced, and intuitive folks have done astounding things with it, regarding security. I can't speak to it regarding retail shoe sales.

Not too interested in someone's agenda IRT leaking or releasing a possible ISIS connection. But no reason to put on a tin foil hat and assume lies, damned lies, and statistics are in play to mislead. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

In which case you’re not serious about security.

Not knowing your enemy, not reading history, just taking the easiest/low brain answer, that’s theatre, and that’s fine if you’re at least honest about it.

Understanding history and motive is HUGE, simple point, you keep getting ants on your table, you place poison all around, build a wall around the table, make a moat around the wall, now it’s harder to sit down at your dinner table, it looks silly and you spent a ton of money.
Or
You read that history shows ants are attracted to food, you notice your kids leave food on the table often, you decide to tell them to not leave food and to clean up after themselves, now you get no more ants and you spent next to nothing and you can still use the table.

Nope. You believe “security in depth” by multiple false senses of security actually work. They don’t. Well documented in security professional circles. At best it’s called “getting lucky”.
Denver, you've no idea what I believe, or my expertise - and I was speaking to the general, not the specifics of this incident.

In which case you’re not serious about security.

Not knowing your enemy, not reading history, just taking the easiest/low brain answer, that’s theatre, and that’s fine if you’re at least honest about it.

Understanding history and motive is HUGE, simple point, you keep getting ants on your table, you place poison all around, build a wall around the table, make a moat around the wall, now it’s harder to sit down at your dinner table, it looks silly and you spent a ton of money.
Or
You read that history shows ants are attracted to food, you notice your kids leave food on the table often, you decide to tell them to not leave food and to clean up after themselves, now you get no more ants and you spent next to nothing and you can still use the table.
Another swing and a miss. . .you have no idea what I'm serious about; just to be sure, I checked, and I didn't write a word about not knowing the adversary, etc. Let it go, it's getting silly now. . .

Last edited:
Denver, you've no idea what I believe, or my expertise - and I was speaking to the general, not the specifics of this incident.

The general is a multiple failure rate higher than anything ever seen in the security world. Pitiful.

Some idiot stole a whole airliner, remember? LOL.

If your “expertise” is in this field, you suck at objective measurement of actual results. Can we fire you and find someone who can do the job?

Back