Fly's under bridge in PA

"Many questioned whether the stunt was authentic or if the photo may have been doctored.

The Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission, which owns the bridge, put that question to rest on Monday, according to the Bucks County Courier Times.

A commission spokesman said the photo that circulated online came from one of their own cameras. "

https://www.phillyvoice.com/riegels...ying-investigation-photo-bucks-county-warren/
I don't think I'm going to have time today, but this makes me want to pull out that software.

Reminds me of the old joke, "Look, a UFO! Let me go get my worst camera..."

It does seem strange that the rest of the image is clear and in focus, but the plane is blurred and washed out. It doesn't look like motion blur.

It does seem strange that the rest of the image is clear and in focus, but the plane is blurred and washed out. It doesn't look like motion blur.

:yeahthat: You can see the texture of the stones on the bridge, leaves etc., but you can barely make out the type of plane, nevermind read a 12" N number. I call bogus. Can't imagine the security of their public webcam is all that tight - for some of our more tech savvy folks, seems like a fun hack for those so inclined?

"Many questioned whether the stunt was authentic or if the photo may have been doctored.

The Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission, which owns the bridge, put that question to rest on Monday, according to the Bucks County Courier Times.

A commission spokesman said the photo that circulated online came from one of their own cameras. "

https://www.phillyvoice.com/riegels...ying-investigation-photo-bucks-county-warren/
An undoctored photo of a R/C model airplane. If there's a pilot in that tiny plane, could be a squirrel.~

An undoctored photo of a R/C model airplane. If there's a pilot in that tiny plane, could be a squirrel.~
If the photo is real, then the plane is tiny, as you mention. I've flown RC planes through really tight places. Well, I tried to.

Hmmm. Make a paper cutout of an airplane and attach some fishing line. Hold it in front of the camera while looking at the webcam with your mobile device. Do the screen capture when it looks right. Post it online and watch the fun.

The fact that this all escapes the FAA is both funny and sad.

For the love of god, no one send the other image with the helicopter, they’ll probably toss up a TFR and ban anyone who... ever had a pet cat...or something else silly.... from getting a medical lol

On that note, they need to focus on more credible stuff, I mean I just found this picture of a guy about to take off with a very contaminated wing, I mean won’t someone please think of the children!

5502258262_aa86f6f0fc_b.jpg

If it was a radio controlled model plane, it must be FPV and it would be pretty lame to only make one pass straight and level and then disappear. If it's an RC model, you're gonna do some barrel rolls as you pass under the bridge, with a couple extra passes for good measure.

I suspect someone saw the plane with their own eyes, but relied on the surveillance camera for any footage. Anyone who's dealt with surveillance camera footage know that the camera quality is not particularly impressive; these things aren't designed to capture an aircraft making a high speed pass under a bridge.

I like the inane comment from a FSDO inspector that was elevated in the article to FAA Administrator.

Then there's this (also in PA):

(For those who don't know, there is no minimum altitude or 500' rule for part 103 ultralights. They're prohibited from flying over any "congested area", but the rules say nothing about flying under a congested area...)

I had some friends that live in an airpark off the Mississipi river. He had an old-style photo album showing a series of photos of him flying into the field. As I'm flipping through them I realize "Hey, did you just fly under that bridge?"

(For those who don't know, there is no minimum altitude or 500' rule for part 103 ultralights. They're prohibited from flying over any "congested area", but the rules say nothing about flying under a congested area...)
Doesn't look like an UL to me.

This is just north of me around seamans 9N3. Rather iconic bridge. I thought I used to be on the VFR chart as it really does stick out for a navigation aid. Not sure what rules are for paramotors but I can’t imagine that could be considered legal. Certainly not safe IMO.
Guys starts out like a typical NEPA self hater. Knocking his own area as if we are deserving of an iconic bridge.

I like the inane comment from a FSDO inspector that was elevated in the article to FAA Administrator.
It’s the Federal Aviation Administration. Everyone who works there is an administrator.

Oh, I bet most of it came from their camera. . .and that they believe it ALL did.

and shake it as hard as I can and make sure the recording is only 4 seconds long

We are certainly hopeful that whoever engaged in the stunt might come forward and make it easier on themselves
How, exactly, does anyone think that would "make things easier" for anyone other than the people who want to string the guy up? Sheesh. Translation:
We are certainly hopeful that whoever engaged in the stunt will come forward, because we have no clue who it is, but we feel like we've got to do something about it, even through we're not sure what, exactly. We don't have any laws against flying under the bridge, and the FAA may or may not care, but by golly when you do something out of the ordinary without paying for a permit first, you're going to have to answer for it!

Tough to say, the step in the bottom makes it look like an amphib, but I don't know, neither do the authorities apparently.

I think what you're seeing is the near wingtip, not a "step". Sure looks like a Pawnee to me. Also kinda looks small, like a big RC model.

It actually IS open to the public and not even included in the overlaying MOA. It is in close proximity of the L09 airstrip, if you want to look it up on a sectional.
Here is a detailed description of the route: https://theaviationist.com/2017/11/...icas-plane-spotting-jewel-at-risk-of-overuse/
PS - maybe I didn't read it clearly enough, but this look like instructions on how to go drive there and photograph the planes. I ment how cool would it be to actually be able to fly your own plane through the same course

It actually IS open to the public and not even included in the overlaying MOA. It is in close proximity of the L09 airstrip, if you want to look it up on a sectional.
Here is a detailed description of the route: https://theaviationist.com/2017/11/...icas-plane-spotting-jewel-at-risk-of-overuse/

Hmmm. In that case, maybe I'll just fly the Mooney up there. If it's a day where there haven't been any fighters coming through, I bet all those bored photogs will put some sweet shots up on the Internet. :D

They've sharpened up the video image and tracked it to this aircraft.

upload_2021-4-19_10-23-59.jpeg

I was going to photoshop him onto the original picture, but it was just too much work.

Back