You heard it here first.

What was particularly fun about Gary Larson's work was its specificity.

No matter what field someone worked in, Gary probably did a cartoon on it, which was posted in some employee cube or break room.
He skewered everything. I still remember the Cowentology cartoon.

Gary+Larson+1.jpg

He skewered everything. I still remember the Cowentology cartoon.

He may find skewering everything and everyone to have too much response from the usual “offended” crowd.

Dave Chapelle doesn’t give a crap, but the outrage about his latest comedy routine that went after everything and everyone is secondarily as entertaining as the routine itself was.

When college kids find Jerry Seinfeld too edgy, you know there’s a whole lot of folks who’ve gone waaaaay off the deep end and don’t understand comedy at all. LOL.

It’s turning into a split in stand up comedy. Poor comics carefully screen their jokes and create super boring routines (and stay poor) and comics with some money in the bank, create really funny stuff making fun of it all.

Except Seinfeld of course. He had enough money in the bank and was old enough to say, screw it. Not worth the headache.

It’s the old “if you can’t laugh at yourself” thing, except there are a LOT of people who can’t because they’re WAY down the rabbit hole of insanity, and making fun of themselves just isn’t possible with how whacked their behavior really is. The further into crazy-land they go, the less they can laugh at themselves.

Moral of the story probably is, if you can’t laugh at yourself, you’re probably way out behind the event horizon of stupid and maybe can’t get back. :)

He may find skewering everything and everyone to have too much response from the usual “offended” crowd.

Dave Chapelle doesn’t give a crap, but the outrage about his latest comedy routine that went after everything and everyone is secondarily as entertaining as the routine itself was.

When college kids find Jerry Seinfeld too edgy, you know there’s a whole lot of folks who’ve gone waaaaay off the deep end and don’t understand comedy at all. LOL.

It’s turning into a split in stand up comedy. Poor comics carefully screen their jokes and create super boring routines (and stay poor) and comics with some money in the bank, create really funny stuff making fun of it all.

Except Seinfeld of course. He had enough money in the bank and was old enough to say, screw it. Not worth the headache.

It’s the old “if you can’t laugh at yourself” thing, except there are a LOT of people who can’t because they’re WAY down the rabbit hole of insanity, and making fun of themselves just isn’t possible with how whacked their behavior really is. The further into crazy-land they go, the less they can laugh at themselves.

Moral of the story probably is, if you can’t laugh at yourself, you’re probably way out behind the event horizon of stupid and maybe can’t get back. :)
I can laugh at myself...I think I’m the funniest guy around!

Too bad nobody else thinks so. I guess that says they’re way out beyond stupid and can’t get back. ;)

Back