Just toss it in reverse...

I wish I had a way to record it when it happened, but I saw a DC-6 back up into the loading area in Ambler, Alaska. The funniest thing I have ever seen, because the captain opened the side window and stuck his head out to look back as the plane was backing up.

I thought he was going to park, but then those radials started snorting and popping, then the plane backed up about 100 feet.

We could back up in the E-2 as well. We were usually the last to trap on the carrier during each cycle, and about the time they folded our wings and tried to back us up into our normal parking along side or just behind the island (hummer hole), the ship would begin a sharp turn and heel WAYYYYY over. Yellow shirts would get all kinds of bent out of shape because we couldn't back up on that steep an incline.

One of the YouTube videos of Draco shows it backing up into the hangar.

https://giphy.com/gifs/just-reverse-terry-CmKouU8WMW8gg

backup-terry-put-it-in-reverse-terry-hiphop-damn-terry-24782406.png

Porters (commonly) and plenty of other aircraft have been backing up for years. Funny how Facebook finds an 8 or 9 year old video and it’s “the coolest new thing!”

Porters (commonly) and plenty of other aircraft have been backing up for years. Funny how Facebook finds an 8 or 9 year old video and it’s “the coolest new thing!”

Yeah I ignore the headlines. I just thought this one was fun since he did a couple point turn and all. We used to allow 727s to back off the gate loooooong ago if they absolutely had to. Loud as **** when they did that.

Didn't DC9 also back out of the gate? Can you do this with any reverse thrust capable aircraft? Is there a risk of falling on your A$$ if you hit the brakes too hard while backing up?

It's only a matter of time before airports have Roomba-esq tug drones that will dock to a plane after it lands and pull it to the gate, coordinated.. would likely alleviate a lot of ground control issues and delays to just have machines figure it out.

Didn't DC9 also back out of the gate? Can you do this with any reverse thrust capable aircraft? Is there a risk of falling on your A$$ if you hit the brakes too hard while backing up?

It's only a matter of time before airports have Roomba-esq tug drones that will dock to a plane after it lands and pull it to the gate, coordinated.. would likely alleviate a lot of ground control issues and delays to just have machines figure it out.
I've been on DC-9s and 737s where it was done. Using a tug is far better....

Yes, no, and yes, stay off the brakes,just a bit of forward thrust. Also, you wouldn’t back up a 757, 767,type either. Different style of reverser and you’d be likely to fod an engine.

Quoted for posterity..... :blowingkisses::popcorn:

Why? It’s not like I was going to delete it.

First thing he would have to do is figure out how to get the carcass home.

All depends on if he thinks his time is better spent on the new one.

Why? It’s not like I was going to delete it.

First thing he would have to do is figure out how to get the carcass home.

All depends on if he thinks his time is better spent on the new one.

All he needs is a pair of tin snips..... just take the data plate..... and the tires....they still look ok.

No doubt he HAD to use thrust reversers. Typical Air Force, he landed way long on the runway.

Watching pilots, you can tell the difference between Navy pilots and Air Force pilots. Navy pilots land right on target speed, on their spot and get off at the first taxiway. Air Force pilots land long and roll all the way down the runway.

All he needs is a pair of tin snips..... just take the data plate..... and the tires....they still look ok.

The data plate rebuilds are usually used for rare aircraft that are hard to come by. I honestly don’t know but I don’t think Wilgas are as rare as the usual data plate rebuilds. What do you think?

I’d just like to see a video of someone backing up a B-17. Supposedly it can be done, but tough on the tires.

Navy pilots land right on target speed, on their spot and get off at the first taxiway.
Reminds me of the first time I flew with a Navy pilot to my right. He was reading out the airspeed all the way down final. This was distracting, so the next time we flew together I mentioned that the Cessna single we were in had a ten knot window for the recommended final approach speed, and asked him to only read out the airspeed if I got to the edge of the window.

No doubt he HAD to use thrust reversers. Typical Air Force, he landed way long on the runway.

Watching pilots, you can tell the difference between Navy pilots and Air Force pilots. Navy pilots land right on target speed, on their spot and get off at the first taxiway. Air Force pilots land long and roll all the way down the runway.
Ha!

Well to be fair, all the Navy fighter pilots spend a lot more time talking about and executing landings. All of us USAF guys concentrate on tactics; landings are easy and we have long runways that are usually right next to bars.

I've been in an airliner that backed up from a gate, no jet way. It was a jet, about 30 years ago, can't remember where though, or which plane, it was a Boeing. Might have been St Thomas.

We told the local civilian guys in Central Amerca we had a big Buick V8 under the floor, between the wheel wells in our C-130E. Said we put it in reverse, to back up. We could reverse taxi really fast - took a lot faith in the Loadmaster lying down on the ramp and giving directions. . .

Okay, now I have seen it all. This 757 missed the taxiway and backed up with the reverse thrust

The data plate rebuilds are usually used for rare aircraft that are hard to come by. I honestly don’t know but I don’t think Wilgas are as rare as the usual data plate rebuilds. What do you think?
My recollection is that the modern Wilgas, made this century,not back in the 50’s and 60’s was all of 24 produced. He owned the first one, sold it, and later bought the last one after they went out of production. I suspect some others have also ground looped, so what, maybe 18, or now 17 of them left?

But was this one even still a certified plane? Which is more likely, that all that customization was STC’d, or that he figured out how to take it experimental?

If I had to guess, after scrappy, and after his next race plane, we see some sort of one off, Wilga like experimental build. The question is what will we see him flying with the flying cowboys before scrappy is complete?

Back