Not a good day to fly.

lancie00

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
lancie00
I was planning a short trip (KFOD - KCBF) today but I guess I'll drive. Weather sucks. I know, you guys fly in it every day but as a low time IFR pilot, I wouldn't feel safe and I'm not pressing my luck.

upload_2019-9-18_9-35-50.png

Nope, drive or wait it out.

Looks like it's moving away though, late afternoon it might actually be a nice flight

Good call. It’s one of those times if you had flexibility you can either wait it out or could’ve gotten ahead of it. One of the best but often hardest decisions is deciding not to fly

You got ADS-B, right..... Whats the problem?

I wouldn't fly into a radar map like that. I might try to wait a bit for it to to pass by and then go though.

I wouldn't fly into a radar map like that. I might try to wait a bit for it to to pass by and then go though.
Especially if it’s being displayed on a really big screen...it could cause significant damage flying into a map on a really big screen. A little screen might just dent the leading edge.

Good choice,now don’t be second guessing your choice

The trip is 105 NM. Even when the weather is bad, ‘usually’ part of the day is well flyable. I just took a snapshot now, don’t know what time it opened up.

I’d go VFR, when weather allows, always keeping a divert field in the back pocket. Of course ADS or XM weather in the cockpit is a great tool. No reason to push the weather. It’s severe VMC at both with light winds.

Now if your plan is to get there & back, then be at work 0700 tomorrow, that’s a consideration.

Just stay out of orange/red..... it’s bad!

Especially if it’s being displayed on a really big screen...it could cause significant damage flying into a map on a really big screen. A little screen might just dent the leading edge.

And you really have to ask yourself what a screen is doing all the way up there in the first place.... no no there's something fishy here. Stay away.

I ended up driving because I had a 2:00 meeting I had to attend. Drove in rain and storms on the way down and severe clear on the way home. If I could have waited a couple hours, I would have had no problem but it was too close to call. Thanks!!!

I ended up driving because I had a 2:00 meeting I had to attend. Drove in rain and storms on the way down and severe clear on the way home. If I could have waited a couple hours, I would have had no problem but it was too close to call. Thanks!!!

I called it!

Looks like it's moving away though, late afternoon it might actually be a nice flight

Back