Climb power - MCP or 25" squared

There’s a a lot written about this topic by John Deakens, Mike Bush, etc. Remain full throttle and prop until safe altitude, reduce prop slightly about 100-150 RPM to reduce noise. When ready setup for a cruise climb by staying WOT and pulling back on the prop.

Google up Pelicans Perch by John Deakens or Mike Bush Savvy Aviator EAA webinars on engine mgmt and leaning.

Didn't think type mattered as much...

It matters very much so.
In your 6/260 full throttle is likely not going to exceed the operational limits.

In my turbo Lance full throttle will blow past the red line.

In other words, you only need to worry about MCP if the engine can actually exceed the maximum.

Last edited:
Considering this is the first time you mentioned the type of aircraft, how would anyone have known?
It was actually mentioned in the 4th post. I too was wondering how this turned into MooneySpace. On a side note, I climb full throttle and 2500 with my O-540, but I'm at 25 squared in less than 3mins (thanks to a 1200-1400ft/min climb rate). The 235/250/260 HP Lycoming 540 was not certified with a maximum takeoff power time. So if temperatures allow it, why reduce power? This works in my plane and my friend's M20C. Plus pulling the throttle back will lean the mixture and heat up your CHTs.

Is spending 10 minutes climbing with a CHT of 400 better than spending 20 minutes climbing with a CHT of 390? I've been always edumucated that the faster you can get to your cruise altitude (within reason of course) the better.. physics dictates that you'll need to use the same amount of energy to get up to cruise altitude, seems like you're just keeping the engine in a low airflow regime longer by a slightly reduced power climb. Especially in a non turbo plane where basically the minute you start climbing you are losing power anyway.. so why not keep the throttle plate wide open?

Is spending 10 minutes climbing with a CHT of 400 better than spending 20 minutes climbing with a CHT of 390? I've been always edumucated that the faster you can get to your cruise altitude (within reason of course) the better.. physics dictates that you'll need to use the same amount of energy to get up to cruise altitude, seems like you're just keeping the engine in a low airflow regime longer by a slightly reduced power climb. Especially in a non turbo plane where basically the minute you start climbing you are losing power anyway.. so why not keep the throttle plate wide open?
there are other reasons to getting up to altitude faster.....but, as long as the heat stress is lower than it needs....the rest is immaterial. Do whatever it takes most efficiently is best.

I have more important things to remember, than some 3 letter acronym I may or may not have seen in the past 15+ years.

what things more important do you have to remember?

:D

Didn't think type mattered as much...
Then it makes no sense for you to complain when people posted about Mooney's when you're in a Piper. ;)

Flying the IO-470 in the T-34, we pulled the prop back just a little as soon as we cleared the tree tops. This was to reduce prop noise. We also didn't advance the prop to full increase until after the throttle came back when we were abeam the numbers for landing, again just to keep the neighbors happy.

I have read that the big piston guys had to worry about overspeeding an unloaded prop, so they were much more concerned with getting the prop control back for cruise climb.

Normally I agree but all of the sudden it turned into a Mooney love fest. Made me feel "icky." LOL
Buy me a different plane, and I'll post what I do when I fly it. :D All I got is a Mooney.

My buddy and I had a discussion the other day. I climb out at MCP and 2500 on the prop until I level off. I then pull the prop back to 2300 and adjust the mixture (going through 5000') which normally gives me 65% cruise.

My buddy pulls the throttle and prop back to 25 squared just as soon as we clear 700'.

Backgrounds for us - Both of us are ATP's with thousands of hours but little time over the years flying small piston stuff. Buddy is retired corporate pilot having flown P-51's, F4U's, B25's in the airshow world in the 70's and 80's (yes, he's a tad bit older...) I didn't get to fly the warbirds but fly for a living.

What works best? Is this the "oversquared" argument?
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/october/pilot/savvy-aviator-hip-to-be-over-square

2763f86f04b52d77e283fe903e5508b0.jpg

Here’s the chart in my POH. Notice that it notes the chart is for max continuous power. Does your aircraft have the charts in the POH?

It does not. In 1967 I guess the only thing they worried about was where to put the ashtray in the plane.

I’m curious where the check mate checklist got the 24/24 number from

Lol. Not gonna happen as long as I have to pay for mx.

I cruise it at 65% for a reason!

Following that logic I’d think you might want something a little gentler than MCP during the climb also unless you need it for some specific reason like obstacles.

I’m curious where the check mate checklist got the 24/24 number from

Probably because it is roughly a 75% power setting. I’d suggest downloading the Lycoming operators manual for your engine. It will have power setting tables in it that you can reference.

Back