Beware Escanaba, MI (KESC)

DHopkins

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DHopkins
GA pilots need to know that flying into KESC can be a poor decision, especially if repairs required. The best mechanic/instructor/IA in U.P. and Northern WI relocated 30 Jun 2019 to Menominee (KMNM) because new KESC manager chased him away with very caustic and unprofessional environment. AirNav continues to advertise MAJOR airframe and powerplant repair capability at KESC. There is ZERO maintenance footprint. No shop, no parts, no repair equipment, nothing. You can't even buy a quart of oil for your plane there. An arrangement made with another mechanic located 50+ miles away, but good luck getting a response, especially late afternoon/weekends. If you get stuck at KESC for mechanical problem, you will likely have a long delay and not find much helpfulness from airport admin.

GA pilots need to know that flying into KESC can be a poor decision, especially if repairs required. The best mechanic/instructor/IA in U.P. and Northern WI relocated 30 Jun 2019 to Menominee (KMNM) because new KESC manager chased him away with very caustic and unprofessional environment. AirNav continues to advertise MAJOR airframe and powerplant repair capability at KESC. There is ZERO maintenance footprint. No shop, no parts, no repair equipment, nothing. You can't even buy a quart of oil for your plane there. An arrangement made with another mechanic located 50+ miles away, but good luck getting a response, especially late afternoon/weekends. If you get stuck at KESC for mechanical problem, you will likely have a long delay and not find much helpfulness from airport admin.

2 comments on AirNav with notable items high lighted.

From John Mullan on 09-Sep-2018

4.gif
The airport is located in a beautiful setting on the northern shore of Lake Michigan. I was there on a Sunday and the only other traffic was another Skylane taking up skydivers. They kept to one of the field and announced on the CTAF. The gas was $4.44 a gallon and the pump worked great. There is supposed to be an FBO there somewhere but the location wasn't obvious from where I was.

From Dennis L Hopkins on 19-Jul-2018

5.gif
New airport manager, Mr. T.J. Reid is really trying to break some rice bowls and change the customer service mentality at KESC. MUCH nicer courtesy car for visiting pilots! Replaces that piece of junk that pretty much was held hostage by an airport tenant. T.J. Today (7/19) dropped 100LL price to $3.97/gal, and UNHEARD of price there. I've been flying out of KESC since Jan 2015 and have NEVER, EVER seen 100LL prices like this! Mr. Reid truly wants to bring customer service to a new level at KESC.

Are you Dennis Hopkins?

Last edited:
I have done IMT and Schoolcraft County, not ESC. My most often is OGM, not much going on there, but simple & convenient.

I look at location, facilities & fuel price mainly. Some way or another I’m good at ignoring meaningless drama. Yes, hopefully I don’t have mechanical issues while remote. A while back I had to enlist the help of the roving mechanic in KY. A few hours & $280 later, I was on my way.

Are airports without major repair available not common back there like they are out here in the West? Or at least very difficult at many?

Asking just out of curiosity. There’s quite a few airports that would leave you very very stranded until you could fly an A&P in, or wait a number of days for the half-retired guy who does a little work here and there, to look at it, out here.

Very generically anything west of the Mississippi and north of I-70 is as likely to have a good FBO with maintenance as not.

Kinda always been this way out here. At least since the 90s.

2 comments on AirNav with notable items high lighted.

From John Mullan on 09-Sep-2018

4.gif
The airport is located in a beautiful setting on the northern shore of Lake Michigan. I was there on a Sunday and the only other traffic was another Skylane taking up skydivers. They kept to one of the field and announced on the CTAF. The gas was $4.44 a gallon and the pump worked great. There is supposed to be an FBO there somewhere but the location wasn't obvious from where I was.

From Dennis L Hopkins on 19-Jul-2018

5.gif
New airport manager, Mr. T.J. Reid is really trying to break some rice bowls and change the customer service mentality at KESC. MUCH nicer courtesy car for visiting pilots! Replaces that piece of junk that pretty much was held hostage by an airport tenant. T.J. Today (7/19) dropped 100LL price to $3.97/gal, and UNHEARD of price there. I've been flying out of KESC since Jan 2015 and have NEVER, EVER seen 100LL prices like this! Mr. Reid truly wants to bring customer service to a new level at KESC.

Are you Dennis Hopkins?
Yep. Same. The manager who was there from mid-2018 until his departure late 2018, caused by non-support of County Administrator on personnel issues, was a superb manager. Actually had a vision and plan to move the place forward. Manager who took his place 180 degree opposite.

Back