RV-9A Panel Upgrade

Adam Weiss

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kcmopilot
I currently have a GTN-650, D10-A, JPI EDM 930, and an old TruTrack Pictorial Pilot (along w/ altitude hold).

Thinking hard about the G3X Touch.
Would appreciate your feedback and experience with the following:
1) One 10" screen or two 7" screens?
2) Upgrade the servos and go all-Garmin on autopilot (biggest advantage is mine is no longer supported, and could get alt pre-select)?
3) Integrate engine monitor, or keep 930?

Appreciate your thoughts.

What you have is better than a whole lot of aircraft out there.

I’d think the Garmin AP would be the nicest upgrade if you’re just blowing money to blow it on that setup.

Could do that with a pair of G5’s added.

@flyingcheesehead has looked into the G3 stuff fairly extensively. So, ping... Kent...

What you have is better than a whole lot of aircraft out there.

I’d think the Garmin AP would be the nicest upgrade if you’re just blowing money to blow it on that setup.

Could do that with a pair of G5’s added.

@flyingcheesehead has looked into the G3 stuff fairly extensively. So, ping... Kent...
Three days before my instrument checkride my autopilot up and died.
It's so old that they don't service them anymore.
Fortunately, I took it out, opened it up, resecured loose connections between boards, put it back in, and it worked.
But I at least need to look into that.

I agree...I've got a really usable panel. Works great as an instrument platform.
Longer term, looking to get rid of my vacuum pump (and any risk of failure), and the autopilot...

You would not be sorry if you put in a G3X. Functionally, it doesn’t compare to what you have. The situational awareness provided by a full features EFIS is a game-changer. I’d keep the JPI and 650 and pop in a single 10” G3X with the GMc507 and 2 Garmin servos. The cost is substantially less than the certified version. If you can afford it, this would be the way to go. Call Tim at Approach Fast Stack for a quote on The system with harnesses.

You would not be sorry if you put in a G3X. Functionally, it doesn’t compare to what you have. The situational awareness provided by a full features EFIS is a game-changer. I’d keep the JPI and 650 and pop in a single 10” G3X with the GMc507 and 2 Garmin servos. The cost is substantially less than the certified version. If you can afford it, this would be the way to go. Call Tim at Approach Fast Stack for a quote on The system with harnesses.
Thanks for the feedback...appreciate it.

I currently have a GTN-650, D10-A, JPI EDM 930, and an old TruTrack Pictorial Pilot (along w/ altitude hold).

Thinking hard about the G3X Touch.
Would appreciate your feedback and experience with the following:

Ooooo, I always love a chance to spend other people's money on avionics. ;)

It sounds like you're in the experimental world, so it won't be nearly as expensive, either...

1) One 10" screen or two 7" screens?

I would go with the single 10". That gives you some flexibility: You can switch it between full-screen PFD and combination PFD/MFD. I'm expecting that when I get the G3X, for example, I'll probably switch it to full-screen PFD when I'm on an instrument approach.

2) Upgrade the servos and go all-Garmin on autopilot (biggest advantage is mine is no longer supported, and could get alt pre-select)?

Given how cheap it is to do this in the experimental world, I'd say it's a no-brainer. The Garmin autopilot is fantastic. I fly a GFC700 in a TBM at work, and the GFC500 is every bit as advanced and then some - The 700 doesn't have the envelope protection, LVL button, etc. I've flown behind a friend's GFC500 and was really impressed.

3) Integrate engine monitor, or keep 930?

If the 930 does what you want it to, I would keep it... With one possible exception. Do you like to, or expect to, analyze the logged data (I do)? If so, I would integrate it. That way, you can put the data logs on a laptop, and if you find some sort of an anomaly like a high CHT, you can also look at what the OAT and airspeed were at the same time and see if it's really something that needs to be looked into further, or if other conditions were affecting it. This has saved me money on maintenance and improved my training in the past, so I'm a big believer in it.

However, if you're not going to look at those data logs, I don't think there's a compelling reason to ditch a perfectly good 930 to have it built into the G3X.

And both devices will still log data, it just will be necessary to ensure that either the times are the same on the devices, or join it together in some other manner (more work).

Now, as to the question you forgot to ask:

4) Should I switch out the D10A for a Garmin G5 (or add a G5)?

Personally, I would. Not that there's anything wrong with the D10A, but there's some things that you get from the G3X + G5 combo that I think are very compelling.

First of all, you get miscompare monitoring. If you have some sort of AHRS problem with one of them, they'll both squawk at you. It might still be worth keeping the D10A so that you have a tiebreaker I suppose. ;)

However, one of the other nice things with the G3X + G5 combo is that they'll communicate with each other over the CANbus so that you only have to set the altimeter setting and the altitude/airspeed bugs in one place, and the autopilot mode will be communicated over as well. So, let's say you put the autopilot in FLC mode at 100 knots, preselect an altitude of 5500 feet, and set the altimeter to 30.14 or something on the G3X, both the G3X and the G5 will have bugs at 100 knots, 5500 feet, an altimeter of 30.14, and FLC ALTS GPS as the autopilot modes, for example.

Finally, both the G3X and the G5 have the capability of being the brains of the autopilot. Let's say you're flying along, about to intercept a final approach course in IMC. You're all set and ready - Autopilot is on a heading to intercept, approach mode is armed, and altitude hold is on - When bam, the magic smoke escapes from the G3X and it goes dark. Not only does the G5 already have all the numbers and modes, it will take over as the brains of the autopilot and guide you onto the final approach course and down the glidepath! There really isn't anything else like this in GA, and it could really save your bacon in an emergency.

Thanks for the ping!

I'm a dynon guy but either way, two 10 inch screens and dual ahrs if you fly in actual. I've got a single 10 and the thought of loosing that screen in the soup is to big a risk.

I'm probably just in the bag for Dynon. But I'd go skyview and more 100ll
As far as I can tell, the Skyview HDX is probably the apples-to-apples comparison to the G3X Touch.
The Skyview HDX $4300 and the G3X is $3850.
Seems all the major players are priced competitively in the experimental market.

Ooooo, I always love a chance to spend other people's money on avionics. ;)

It sounds like you're in the experimental world, so it won't be nearly as expensive, either...

I would go with the single 10". That gives you some flexibility: You can switch it between full-screen PFD and combination PFD/MFD. I'm expecting that when I get the G3X, for example, I'll probably switch it to full-screen PFD when I'm on an instrument approach.

Given how cheap it is to do this in the experimental world, I'd say it's a no-brainer. The Garmin autopilot is fantastic. I fly a GFC700 in a TBM at work, and the GFC500 is every bit as advanced and then some - The 700 doesn't have the envelope protection, LVL button, etc. I've flown behind a friend's GFC500 and was really impressed.

If the 930 does what you want it to, I would keep it... With one possible exception. Do you like to, or expect to, analyze the logged data (I do)? If so, I would integrate it. That way, you can put the data logs on a laptop, and if you find some sort of an anomaly like a high CHT, you can also look at what the OAT and airspeed were at the same time and see if it's really something that needs to be looked into further, or if other conditions were affecting it. This has saved me money on maintenance and improved my training in the past, so I'm a big believer in it.

However, if you're not going to look at those data logs, I don't think there's a compelling reason to ditch a perfectly good 930 to have it built into the G3X.

And both devices will still log data, it just will be necessary to ensure that either the times are the same on the devices, or join it together in some other manner (more work).

Now, as to the question you forgot to ask:

4) Should I switch out the D10A for a Garmin G5 (or add a G5)?

Personally, I would. Not that there's anything wrong with the D10A, but there's some things that you get from the G3X + G5 combo that I think are very compelling.

First of all, you get miscompare monitoring. If you have some sort of AHRS problem with one of them, they'll both squawk at you. It might still be worth keeping the D10A so that you have a tiebreaker I suppose. ;)

However, one of the other nice things with the G3X + G5 combo is that they'll communicate with each other over the CANbus so that you only have to set the altimeter setting and the altitude/airspeed bugs in one place, and the autopilot mode will be communicated over as well. So, let's say you put the autopilot in FLC mode at 100 knots, preselect an altitude of 5500 feet, and set the altimeter to 30.14 or something on the G3X, both the G3X and the G5 will have bugs at 100 knots, 5500 feet, an altimeter of 30.14, and FLC ALTS GPS as the autopilot modes, for example.

Finally, both the G3X and the G5 have the capability of being the brains of the autopilot. Let's say you're flying along, about to intercept a final approach course in IMC. You're all set and ready - Autopilot is on a heading to intercept, approach mode is armed, and altitude hold is on - When bam, the magic smoke escapes from the G3X and it goes dark. Not only does the G5 already have all the numbers and modes, it will take over as the brains of the autopilot and guide you onto the final approach course and down the glidepath! There really isn't anything else like this in GA, and it could really save your bacon in an emergency.

Thanks for the ping!
This is REALLY good information.
I didn’t know about the autopilot backup with the G5. Thanks!

I'm a dynon guy but either way, two 10 inch screens and dual ahrs if you fly in actual. I've got a single 10 and the thought of loosing that screen in the soup is to big a risk.
I agree.
Don’t know if I can fit two 10” screens.
If I did, I’d have to get rid of the D10A and 930 for sure.

first off two tens will fit just fine. with a g3x or dynon you dont need the 930 or the d10. with two AHRS and two screens you have redundant systems and both are capable of displaying all the engine info.

Back