I guess I went and did it too.

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
As of about a week ago I am 1/2 owner of an airplane. I wanted to fly it a bit to make sure it didn't fall out of the sky before all you guys chimed in about what a bad idea it was. I have about 6 hours in it this week and so far it hasn't fallen out of the sky or produced any big surprises. When people say congratulations I say hold off on that a couple years and see if you can still say that.

1957 Cessna 172
HCFJBlV.jpg

7D0dQCq.jpg

The good
It's a straight tail and it flies like a straight tail
Engine seems to run fine produces book numbers
Paid used car prices for it
Guy put a good bit of money in it over the last few years not realizing he couldn't get a medical (New windshield, spark plugs, repaired exhaust, new tubes in the tires, rebuilt carburetor,New vertical card compass,...)
Just annualed (realize that doesn't mean much)

The bad
No working radios although the handheld works fine.
Older overhaul
A few hundred hours from TBO
Hasn't been flown as much as it should last couple year
Did I mention used car price?

One of those deals especially with two people going in on it if it blows up tomorrow and we have to walk away it isn't going to hurt all that much.

To answer the inevitable questions. Yes we did a prebuy sort of. Had an A&P/IA friend look it over. Also the mechanic that has been working on it and also flew it some the last couple years is a friend of mine and did the test flight with me.

Last edited:
Awesome! You are approaching it from the right state of mind and hey, sometimes you get lucky!

Nice airplane congrats and good luck.

I get a good vibe looking at it - there is something right with it - and I hope I'm right about that! Good on ya, mate!

I like the looks of the straight tails. Nice plane!

Easily converted to a tailwheel...
Had that discussion before we even bought it. ;) A few other things need to be done first.

Picture from last night's flight with my wife. Beautiful night to fly unless you were a bug. :D

RRDvtMO.jpg

Had a '56 straight tail. Great airplane! Those forty degree flaps can get you down fast and short;-) Traded it for the Parrakeet project.

Had a '56 straight tail. Great airplane! Those forty degree flaps can get you down fast and short;-) Traded it for the Parrakeet project.

Especially with the nose that slopes away a little you feel like you are looking at the crash site. :D

Nice - congratulations.

Which half is yours?
The clean half? The inexpensive half? ...

Congrats! Now... start saving to buy out your partner, no matter how much you like him/her. OK.. yeah.. I'm maybe not the best person to ask about that...
Great plane. Fly it more than worrying about how to improve it.

Back