My new plane! Yeehaw!

You just *know* some cruel soul is going to sneak in and polish an area about 1' x 2' in a prominent and very visible location on the pilot's side of the plane. :D

Congratulations, and happy flying! Keep us posted on your progress.

My new plane (NC1813K). I'll be getting my Private Pilot's Certificate in this plane. Before I went to the airport this morning to buy the plane, I was so anxious, I actually felt sick. The plane needs a little TLC (just a couple minor things), but I'm very happy with it. I have some questions about different things, but will ask them in other threads. On the other hand, I do have some plans for a few major mods. Will do those as money allows (primarily a new panel, while keeping some of the old gizmos, and the C-85/O-200 conversion).

https://www.jpwphoto.com/img/s/v-10/p3600884415-6.jpg

Congrats man. I too am a new owner that has yet to get license. Caught some flack for doin it that way, but I’ve been up in her many times now with a friend that flies and gives free lessons. So far so good. Good looking plane. Good luck.

I too am a new owner that has yet to get license. Caught some flack for doin it that way, but I’ve been up in her many times now with a friend that flies and gives free lessons. So far so good.
Good for you! Many have done it that way, very successfully. Read Weekend Pilot, Frank Kingston Smith's 1957 book, the one that hooked me on flying many years ago. Smith was an overstressed Philadelphia lawyer whose doctor advised he take up a relaxing hobby -- so he bought a used Cessna 140 and hired an instructor to teach him to fly it. Obviously the specifics of regulations, airspace, navigation, etc., have changed in the 60+ years since he wrote it, but it captures the passion, challenge and fun of learning to fly in one's own airplane.

Smith went on to become a widely-known aviation writer, lecturer and humorist, and executive director of the National Aviation Trades Association (NATA).

Back